Mediterranean Greek Isle/Venice...Which would you choose?

My wife and I will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary in May 2017. We are booked on the May 24 9-night sailing on the Jewel of the Seas out of Rome to the Greek Isles.

My initial thought is to fly into Venice for a 2-3 day pre-cruise stay and traveling directly to the port near Rome on the morning of the 5pm cruise. Mode of travel undetermined at this moment. After disembarking back in Rome following the cruise, our plan is to spend 2-3 days in Rome before returning home, making a 15-day vacation.

Neither my wife or I have ever been to Europe so we are attempting to include as much as possible of the must sees. For you seasoned European cruisers here, is this itinerary feasible/doable or are we being too ambitious to try and do Venice and Rome wrapped around a 9-night cruise?

Thanks,

Keith

Great information here, so thanks to all! I was also trying to decide which itinerary to pick for our 30th anniversary celebration in 2018. Definitely including Venice now, but hoping they are cruising there in 2018!

My wife and I will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary in May 2017. We are booked on the May 24 9-night sailing on the Jewel of the Seas out of Rome to the Greek Isles.

My initial thought is to fly into Venice for a 2-3 day pre-cruise stay and traveling directly to the port near Rome on the morning of the 5pm cruise. Mode of travel undetermined at this moment. After disembarking back in Rome following the cruise, our plan is to spend 2-3 days in Rome before returning home, making a 15-day vacation.

Neither my wife or I have ever been to Europe so we are attempting to include as much as possible of the must sees. For you seasoned European cruisers here, is this itinerary feasible/doable or are we being too ambitious to try and do Venice and Rome wrapped around a 9-night cruise?

Thanks,

Keith

O M G ... I had Jewel booked for this past May 23 and had to cancel... flying into Venice 3 days pre-cruise, then training to the port the day of cruise. I also had 3 nights booked in Rome post cruise. Just like you Lol! Had to cancel everything (family emergency and eventual passing)

Venice to Civitavecchia ... The bullet train on current schedules leaves Venice at 6:05 am arriving in Rome Termini Station at approx 9:15am. If you're savvy, and you don't have a lot of luggage, you can then transfer to another train to Civitavecchia and deal with walking/taxi to port, etc... you have plenty of luggage 150million % I would suggest you hire a private car service, will take you right into the port area and drop you right off. Expensive but well worth your sanity as a first timer in Europe. There's also a couple of flights non-stops from Venice to Rome on Alitalia that will get you there in just over an hour... again I recommend a private car as to take the train you need to transfer. Both scenarios (airport or Rome Termini train station) are about an hour drive up to Civitavecchia port

If I may make a recommedation... the following hotel is only 2 blocks from the Venice train station, but right on the Canal with awesome views. They offered me a full refund even though I booked a non-refundable $1000 room at the time (i'm sure they re-sold it, but they still didn;t bat an eye when I called them with my story) --- Hotel Principe Venice

Edited by Hoopster95

After experiencing the sail away from Venice, I have to agree with the Captain of the Rhapsody that the sail in/out of Kotor is just as spectacular.:cool:

That's great to hear as this is one of my ports as well :D

I can see why people don't want to the house of the Virgin. I went there and I loved it, but I am R.Cath so am into all of that.... but the queue was MASSIVE. Ephesus itself is a cool place. I have been there twice and would go again - however, I can see why people who are not interested in ancient history etc would not want to go.

But as for Turkey itself, don't discount it. Istanbul is the most amazing place! Maybe when the world settles down a bit perhaps :(

I am another vote for the Venice itinerary. Go while you can!

Greece - you never know with them. They are always going on strike. If UK leaves Europe who knows that will happen to the Euro and Greece are broke already.

Pity we couldn't do a house swap. :D My bucket list for a proper vacation is Barbados. You can get a flight from my island to Venice etc for about £70

I can see why people don't want to the house of the Virgin. I went there and I loved it, but I am R.Cath so am into all of that.... but the queue was MASSIVE. Ephesus itself is a cool place. I have been there twice and would go again - however, I can see why people who are not interested in ancient history etc would not want to go.

But as for Turkey itself, don't discount it. Istanbul is the most amazing place! Maybe when the world settles down a bit perhaps :(

I am another vote for the Venice itinerary. Go while you can!

Greece - you never know with them. They are always going on strike. If UK leaves Europe who knows that will happen to the Euro and Greece are broke already.

Pity we couldn't do a house swap. :D My bucket list for a proper vacation is Barbados. You can get a flight from my island to Venice etc for about £70

:eek:For that price I would be willing to do a house swap in a heart beat:p;).

Keith, we had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife years ago on the Brilliance, I think!

I vote for going out of Venice but mostly because that's what we're eager to do. We have booked a back-to-back out of Venice in October 2017. The first cruise includes Croatia, which is on my bucket list. The second includes Montenegro. Both hit various Greek islands (we've done Santorini and Athens before) and one of the two includes Turkey (which we've also done). The reason we picked these cruises is, simply, Venice. I've heard it's a must see so we want to fly in maybe 4 days early and really take it all in. With all of that said, I'm looking forward to going back to Turkey. We visited Ephesus and it was absolutely amazing. We will happily go there again and I'd recommend it (along with Turkish coffee).

Either cruise sounds amazing!

2tall AKA Rebecca

• 1 month later...
Keith, we had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife years ago on the Brilliance, I think!

I vote for going out of Venice but mostly because that's what we're eager to do. We have booked a back-to-back out of Venice in October 2017. The first cruise includes Croatia, which is on my bucket list. The second includes Montenegro. Both hit various Greek islands (we've done Santorini and Athens before) and one of the two includes Turkey (which we've also done). The reason we picked these cruises is, simply, Venice. I've heard it's a must see so we want to fly in maybe 4 days early and really take it all in. With all of that said, I'm looking forward to going back to Turkey. We visited Ephesus and it was absolutely amazing. We will happily go there again and I'd recommend it (along with Turkish coffee).

Either cruise sounds amazing!

2tall AKA Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

we would have met on the AOS a few years ago. A great cruise and a pleasure to have met you and your husband as well. I am actually friends on that social media site whose name is taboo around here with a few members of your group.

It would seem that we may have to take at least 2 cruises to cross this off our bucket list :)as each route seems to offer its own appeal.

Got to be the 1st one for me.

We done the Croatia, Turkey & Greek Islands on Splendour.

See pictures in my signature.

As others have said, the sail out and back in to Venice is awesome.

After we've finished exploring the Caribbean, we will go back to Venice:)