Mediterranean Greek Isle/Venice...Which would you choose?

Hi Guys,

My wife and I arfe going through our bucket list cruises and this is near(if not at) the top of the list.

Looking at the itineraries it is extremely hard for us to choose (We may end up doing both eventually:)) but for now we have to pick one:rolleyes:.

I am leaning towards the Greek Isle Itinerary because it technically takes you to more countries...on the other hand however we have always wanted to visit Italy(Venice in particular)even before we discovered cruising on a land vacation.

Which would you choose and why?

For those who already have done either or both, what did you enjoy most about the places you visited.

Thanks in advance guys.

Two years ago we went on Royal from Venice to Croatia. Turkey, and two Greek islands: Santorini and Katacolon.

We flew into Venice two days early and fell in love with the city. Our next favorite on the trip was Santorini.

Great itinerary, and I agree with Bob that they may limit large cruise ship in Venice in the future.

Ironically, Greece has always been my bucket list, but when choosing our upcoming anniversary trip, I decided on the 12-night Mediterranean Venice.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/12NightMediterraneanVeniceCruise-BR12M459?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO

I still want to go to Greece someday, but I felt like this itinerary hit more must-see places (Florence, Venice, Rome, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Guys,

My wife and I arfe going through our bucket list cruises and this is near(if not at) the top of the list.

Looking at the itineraries it is extremely hard for us to choose (We may end up doing both eventually:)) but for now we have to pick one:rolleyes:.

I am leaning towards the Greek Isle Itinerary because it technically takes you to more countries...on the other hand however we have always wanted to visit Italy(Venice in particular)even before we discovered cruising on a land vacation.

Which would you choose and why?

For those who already have done either or both, what did you enjoy most about the places you visited.

Thanks in advance guys.

Could you list the itineraries so we could see what the choice of ports are in each? And what ship? Thanks!

Could you list the itineraries so we could see what the choice of ports are in each? And what ship? Thanks!

12 night Venice - Nice,Naples,Ravenna,Venice, Kotor, Dubrovnik

12 night Greek - Monte Carlo, Athens,Ephesus,Valetta

These are not all the ports but it should give you an idea,The ports in common are Florence and Rome.

The latter one takes you to more countries while the former is basically a tour of Italian ports.

We went to quite a few of those places on Vision last September - what sold us on our cruise and what we LOVED, was the overnight in Venice! Even if yours only goes for a day, I'd definitely opt for Venice itinerary!

These are not all the ports but it should give you an idea,The ports in common are Florence and Rome.

The latter one takes you to more countries while the former is basically a tour of Italian ports.

150 million % itinerary A in my books :D

Option B, other than Malta, I don't have to go back anytime soon... I DO have to go back to Venice & Croatia!

Venice, Naples, Kotor, Dubrovnik all in one sailing is outstanding! Venice sail-in/sail-away is the #1 experience every cruising enthusiast should do at least once in their lifetime. Review with tons of photos of the above here if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377600&highlight=kotor#post44377600

One of the factors to consider is what "period" of history you're interested in - medieval or ancient. Personally I would lean towards the Greek Islands as a first timer. My favourite ports are Athens (a must for any first timer), Santorini (incredible views and scenery), Corfu (again incredible scenery). You can tell I'm more into scenery and lean a bit more towards the "ancient" history (not that you won't get that on Italy cruise), it's just you get more of it on a Greek Islands cruise.

Hands down the first one. You say it's a tour of Italian port but it calls in France, Croatia and Montenegro.

As people have said the sail in/out of Venice is spectacular but so is the sail in and out of Kotor. Dubrovnik is sensational too. However it also depends on your interests as Athens and Ephesus provide some incomparable sights. You can easily visit Monte Carlo from Nice if that's a priority. In fact I would suspect the ports may be Villefranche and Cannes as I'm not aware of RC ships which actually call into Monte Carlo and Nice.

It would also help if you could mention which ships they are.

I've been to all these ports, some of them many times, and would definitely choose the first over the second.

One of the factors to consider is what "period" of history you're interested in - medieval or ancient. Personally I would lean towards the Greek Islands as a first timer. My favourite ports are Athens (a must for any first timer), Santorini (incredible views and scenery), Corfu (again incredible scenery). You can tell I'm more into scenery and lean a bit more towards the "ancient" history (not that you won't get that on Italy cruise), it's just you get more of it on a Greek Islands cruise.

I am quite interested in both periods of history but medieval is my favorite period of history.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies guys[emoji106] it certainly has given me quite a bit to ponder[emoji1]. I personally could go either way but will see which the wife prefers.

Like I said we will probably do both at some point.

Anything sailing out of Venice would always be my first choice. Dubrovnik, Santorini, Corfu, Kusadasi for Ephesus, Istanbul and ending in Piraeus is pretty perfect. Don't know if anyone is doing that. If I could only have two out of that, Venice and Ephesus would be my choice. Both are incredible treasures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe someone asked what the ship was...it is Brilliance of the seas.

Definitely Venice! It's the most beautiful city of your choices. Also as was mentioned earlier. They will most likely ban cruise ships from the city sometime soon.

Have fun!

Beth

150 million % itinerary A in my books :D

Option B, other than Malta, I don't have to go back anytime soon... I DO have to go back to Venice & Croatia!

Venice, Naples, Kotor, Dubrovnik all in one sailing is outstanding! Venice sail-in/sail-away is the #1 experience every cruising enthusiast should do at least once in their lifetime. Review with tons of photos of the above here if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377600&highlight=kotor#post44377600

Thanks for your input hoopster95...I have read your review[emoji4]. I have always been interested in these regions and periods but seeing your awesome photos really influenced me to make this trip sooner rather than later[emoji106]

Dubrovnik is absolutely breathtaking, especially the old city.

Out of Naples, is the island of Capri. This island .... Well, it's been 10yrs since I've been there, I've travelled pretty much the world and my wife and I still agree that this is probably the best place we've ever been.

So, ya, take the Venice trip! Lol

Thanks Keith. Our daughter lives in Florence so we've been doing Mediterranean cruises for several years now. We know all these ports! My opinion is to go for the 12 night Venice. As everyone has said, sailing out of Venice is pretty special and who knows how long it's going to go on for. Nice on the French Riviera will allow you to get a taste of what "A Year in Provence" was all about. Naples must be experienced!!! It's a wild crazy and colorful city. Or you might prefer to see Capri or Sorrento. In any event, the Amalfi Coast is every bit as breathtaking as you've seen in movies and magazines. Ravenna is where the mosaics are, and if you buy the pass that allows you to visit the churches in the town, you will carry the memory for your lifetime. Kotor? the sail-in is spectacular! And so is the arduous hike up to the fortress if you are so inclined. The town down below is not too shabby either. And lastly, Dubrovnik. A fairy tale kind of place. If you look in my signature for my Solstice cruise a few years back, you'll find info about a lot of these ports. It's a lovely part of the world to see.

Now the other itinerary is wonderful too, but somehow none of those ports were quite as spectacular as the above. You are smart to say that you will do both itineraries but do the Venice one first!!!