TK Quest

cwisleman

Please cease and desist all of this talk about fried chicken -- my Achilles heel. I allow myself two splurges a year but must admit this rule will go by the wayside on my 24 day Quest December cruise.

I hear that the Nashville hot fried chicken can be calorie free for some;)

Image attached.

Also... TK's fried chicken is much more complex than the way I used to fry chicken. I've made the version in his Ad Hoc at Home cookbook - this is, I think, almost identical.... http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lemon-brined-fried-chicken

I'm fairly certain that I've seen that menu before with mostly if not the same name brand items on it. Those look like what used to be specials at what was at the time Bradley Ogdens Lark Creek Inn.

Images come out better (or at least better sized) if you use an image host other than CC. CC in the quest for space overly compacts images IMO.

Could perhaps both Secoma4 and Jenidallas be right in that maybe both TK roasted and fried chicken were offered on different nights?

And as to the Nashville Chicken you mentioned Emperor Norton I have not tried that but I assume you are implying that given the heat of the dish I would burn more calories than I would consume from sweating? Too funny. As I am counting down two weeks until our cruise I am trying to watch my caloric intake so I can still fit into a new size two dress I just purchased. Maybe I should just pour hot sauce on everything I eat until we sail!

As I am counting down two weeks until our cruise I am trying to watch my caloric intake so I can still fit into a new size two dress I just purchased. Maybe I should just pour hot sauce on everything I eat until we sail!

Looking forward to reading your updates. I've heard that my beloved Humboldt Fog cheese is no longer served on the TK nights in the Colonnade. I hope not true!

The Humboldt Fog cheese was served as a course in the Colonnade TK menu which included the Waldorf salad, and beef with broccolini and mashed potato. I don't think it was served with the other TK menus in the Colonnade.

My sister and her dining companion were served a whole roasted chicken still in the roasting dish in the opening evening of the Thomas Keller Grill. Unfortunately, being Australian, she didn't know that it was TK, until it was pointed out to her later. She was invited to dine there by telephone at 3pm on the day. No one knew that it would be operating that evening. None of us knew why she was chosen specifically.

We dined for lunch in the Patio Grill on the last day of our cruise and were offered the Thomas Keller hotdog, but no mention was made of the Napa hamburger. I would have tried it if I had known it was there, especially if it had a brioche bun

The Napa burger came, went, came and went again! We managed to catch it one day, and though I would not usually have a burger we had to try it. It was certainly very tasty and well prepared, and the bun more like brioche. The next time we mentioned it, they were apparently not happy with the bun, so it was off again.

I can't imagine how roast chicken would be especially marvellous, but reading a bit about the recipe the fried chicken would have been good to try. We were not invited to the TK grill (just said good evening one day to the great man in passing). We were told you could invite yourself, and would probably get in. One evening the four at the next table to us in the MDR were being noticeably schmoozed by Sebastian, the wine chap. As they were buying a couple of bottles that evening, it has since struck me that if you were expected to buy wine at the TK grill those were the sort of people he would want there! I wonder if your sister, secoma, was expected to buy the wine to go with the meal in TK, and if she did?

My sister dined on hosted tables nearly every night in the Restaurant. She normally drinks the Seabourn wines, including the night we dined, family style in the TK Colonnade. In the Thomas Keller Grill, the sommelier gave the spiel that the wines were all chosen by Thomas Keller, and made suitable recommendations for their food choices. They then realised that they had to pay for them. I have asked Seabourn in my post cruise survey if they are the only wines available or if he was a very persuasive sommelier.

There has certainly been no mention of the wine in the TK grill having to be paid for in any literature so far - not too happy about this, but assume that when it is fully up and running it may all become clearer. One thing we have always liked about Seabourn is that there have been no secret charges (like the dreaded Silversea charity charge unless you opt out). Hope this is not the thin end of the wedge.

Oh how funny to read about those that never want to upgrade and try better wine.

Different strokes and all that [emoji3]

Wine does compliment the food

Yes I know it's all subjective

Life's too short to drink cheap wine

Edited by Mr Luxury

Mr L - it is not about being unwilling to buy wine if one wishes, as we sometimes do - it is about not being informed beforehand that wine purchase is expected, or even mandatory, if it is, in the new TK grill.

So let me get this right - Seabourn is now promoting fried chicken, burgers and hot dogs as their gastronomical specialties. Sounds like take away food to me.

I couldn't agree more. We're booked for this 'steak house' on our June cruise, but will cancel if the menu looks as drear as these posts suggest it might. Looking forward to hearing positive reviews, though, still, on food that hopefully will stand up to a decent bottle of wine.

Wine does compliment the food

I recall recently a somewhat cheeky, and possibly precocious, claret saying to my steak "my, what a rare sight for sore eyes, nothing medium or mediocre about you is there?"... The steak positively oozed...

I recall recently a somewhat cheeky, and possibly precocious, claret saying to my steak "my, what a rare sight for sore eyes, nothing medium or mediocre about you is there?"... The steak positively oozed...

Very good Sir.

Mr L - it is not about being unwilling to buy wine if one wishes, as we sometimes do - it is about not being informed beforehand that wine purchase is expected, or even mandatory, if it is, in the new TK grill.

Does anyone know for sure that this is the policy? Why don't we wait to find out before we start complaining? Oh wait, that's what we do here!

Does anyone know for sure that this is the policy? Why don't we wait to find out before we start complaining? Oh wait, that's what we do here!

well to be fair, the post you replied to did say "if it is" and I think everyone else has qualified their comment similarly.

Whatever policy turns out to be (and it's hard to believe house wines would not be available in the new TK grill, even Silversea gave that up in their specialty restaurant), it does seem the original story from the soft opening was one where the sommelier should have done a better job explaining that choosing the wine pairings was going to be chargeable. Hopefully just a busy sommelier in a new restaurant falling a little short, I've always found Seabourn staff to be totally upfront about anything which bears additional cost.

Certainly the house wines are perfectly suitable for the 'shared plates' dinners at the Colonnade - in fact the wine glasses are just tumblers. And equally good enough to go with a burger or hot dog (I imagine most people would probably drink beer with these?) I look forward to seeing the menus for the TK grill when they are finally completely rolled out, as so far all one has heard of is roast chicken, which does not sound especially like something one would need a special wine with.