recommedations for european cruise with a child under 12months

stevenanto

I don't think anyone's fighting. Twin and I are just expressing different opinions.

For me, as a parent who traveled with her daughter from the age of 6 months (she's 20 now and has been all over the world) I know that my vacations were better because I had my child with me. I would never have been able to have as enjoyable a time if I'd left my daughter with her grandparents. That's me, the way I'm wired. I've never regretted taking my child on vacation with me. I totally understand that wouldn't work for some, and they have more enjoyable vacations when their children aren't with them. We typically cruised because I found it to be a much easier way to vacation with a small child than a land vacation--Mama got a vacation,too! It took only a couple cruises and we were hooked!

You'll know pretty soon after your child is born if he or she is easy going or not, and you'll be better able to judge how well you think your child will do.

i don't think anyone's fighting. Twin and i are just expressing different opinions.

For me, as a parent who traveled with her daughter from the age of 6 months (she's 20 now and has been all over the world) i know that my vacations were better because i had my child with me. I would never have been able to have as enjoyable a time if i'd left my daughter with her grandparents. That's me, the way i'm wired. I've never regretted taking my child on vacation with me. I totally understand that wouldn't work for some, and they have more enjoyable vacations when their children aren't with them. We typically cruised because i found it to be a much easier way to vacation with a small child than a land vacation--mama got a vacation,too! It took only a couple cruises and we were hooked!

You'll know pretty soon after your child is born if he or she is easy going or not, and you'll be better able to judge how well you think your child will do.

Unless you already have a child, you can’t possibly imagine how your life will change when you do. Years ago another couple invited my husband and me to go away for a weekend and I said we couldn’t until after our daughter was born.

They laughed for hours.

As others have said, some babies can handle traveling and some can’t. Mine couldn’t. She was 4 pounds 8 ounces when born five weeks prematurely, and everything about her development was delayed. (She eventually caught up and is now 6’1” and a college grad, but the early years were difficult.)

While many 12-month-olds sleep through the night, mine didn’t. She also had chronic ear infections and a minor heart issue that eventually healed, but would have made traveling overseas impossible.

My husband and I have visited every country in Western Europe and some in Eastern Europe, during land vacations and on cruises. Every trip was exhausting, without a baby. When my daughter was 4, we took her to England on a 2-week land vacation. She handled it pretty well, but we had to compromise some of our interests for hers (for example, seeing the musical “Beauty and Beast” TWICE in London). We also ate pizza and pasta (in England!) more than we would have liked.

She has cruised the Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska (five times), but was 4 or 5 when she started. Disneyland, Hawaii, and Lake Tahoe were mainstays on land during grade school, followed by NYC and Paris when she was in high school.

So while I encourage parents to vacation with their children, I don’t think it’s wise to travel to Europe or cruise the Atlantic with a baby.

• Exposure to illness (many people on my last two European cruises had respiratory infections)
  • Unsanitary bathrooms in many port cities
  • Unsavory people in tourist spots (everywhere, not just in Europe)
  • Stroller-unfriendly streets
  • Long lines at major sights with nowhere to sit to feed or change a baby
  • Crowds, heat, and long days
  • Tears, hunger, fatigue, restlessness, and tantrums (the baby’s)
  • Risk of a medical emergency without access to proper pediatric care (babies get sick)

One more thing: I may have forgotten a lot since my “baby” was a baby, but I do remember this: 12-month-olds don’t sit still. And you can’t make them.

Stroller unfriendly streets if you are in Italy is an understatement!

I had to laugh also recently watching people trying to visit Pompeii with kids in strollers. Trust me folks. Don't even think about that!

A picture is worth a thousand words, so they say....

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tourist-carries-a-stroller-with-a-child-as-he-crosses-a-street-at-the-picture-id485239413

That looks like its going to be hard enough for me at 68 and i'll be there next month. It is a good point that much of Europe is less friendly to things like stollers, wheelchairs etc. not because people do not care but because we as tourists are drawn to the historic sites that have been kept in their original states.

What often makes it interesting can make it more difficult for those of limited mobility for any reason, age or infirmity.

I am in Sorrento right now and the ancient streets make it virtually impossible to use a wheelchair and I see kids bobbing up and down in strollers - that's got to be uncomfortable. I see people with walkers having a tough time here too. Love the pic in Pompeii. I have a few of my own somewhere.

Wow again lots of insightful advice! We definately will be trying to do Europe, organized tours won't work with us that's why we turned towards a cruise. Now for the streets not being stroller friendly I don't mind carrying the baby in my arms or in the carrier, I've done this my nephew many times when we went camping and he is a big boy! But we will wait to book until later this sumner once we see how temperamental he will be.

Wow again lots of insightful advice! We definately will be trying to do Europe, organized tours won't work with us that's why we turned towards a cruise. Now for the streets not being stroller friendly I don't mind carrying the baby in my arms or in the carrier, I've done this my nephew many times when we went camping and he is a big boy! But we will wait to book until later this sumner once we see how temperamental he will be.

Nice! If you are looking at Southern Europe be mindful of when you go as it can get very hot and not so nice if you have to carry a child of its 100 plus degrees.

Cmon guys. People in Europe have babies and they deal with it. Lol.

Yes, but apparently they never leave their homes. Cobblestone streets and all. LOL.

Oh wait, I've been to Europe many times. There are lots of things to see and do that don't involve cobblestones. How about that.

Nice! If you are looking at Southern Europe be mindful of when you go as it can get very hot and not so nice if you have to carry a child of its 100 plus degrees.
For someone who purports not to care you've posted ten times telling the OP in various ways not to do this, while also admitting you have no personal experience in the situation. You might want to spend a moment or two of the time you're spending sharing all this advice considering your own motivations.

For someone who purports not to care you've posted ten times telling the OP in various ways not to do this, while also admitting you have no personal experience in the situation. You might want to spend a moment or two of the time you're spending sharing all this advice considering your own motivations.

Yeah I tend to ramble. I have no motivations and now I am out of this thread. Have a nice weekend. I was just trying to be helpful and point out a few things.

To Stevenanto,

I say, go for it!

We were in your shoes last year - I was pregnant with our second, expected in August, and we booked a Med cruise for this summer! (We've actually tagged on 5 days in Greece to visit friends, and another 4 days in Barcelona at the end).

I have to say, I'm with Quilted Cruiser on this one...

If you plan properly, and set your expectations accordingly, you'll have an amazing time and make some wonderful memories. It's like before you have a baby, everyone tells you to "enjoy eating out now because you'll never do it again", to which I say, nonsense!

Our first is now 6 years old and been to well over 40+ countries (including visiting family in RURAL Egypt when he was 7 months old). He has 9 cruises under his belt. Did we have to pack a LOT of crap to make it all work out? Heck yeah. Did we sleep until 10am and then lounge on our cabin balcony until noon? Nope. But that's just life with a little one, regardless of where you are! You will love the room service and the ship staff will go out of their way to help care for your baby!

Our daughter will be 10 months old when she heads to Europe next month, so I will circle back and try and share some specific tips, since your little one will be about the same age when you take your trip in 2017.

Just a couple of tips from my current experience: a jogging stroller that folds up with removeable wheels will be gold on cobblestone streets! If you go to Venice, definitely pack an Ergo or BabyBjorn - you can't be taking any kind of stroller over those tiny bridges! Request a crib in your cabin at the time of booking (not when you board the ship - there may not be enough). And if you're a germ freak, take your own crib sheets. ;-

Also, from previous cruises with our son though, I'd say, definitely invest in a balcony cabin. That way, when baby is napping or goes to bed early, you can still sit out there with a book, and enjoy the scenery without feeling "trapped".

I have a review in my sig of a cruise we did in Europe with our son when he was 3, which may or may not be helpful.

Good for you guys planning such a fun adventure! No reason to be scared off! And you know what? People traveling without kids often have horrible/exhausting/stressful vacations - it's just par for the course when attempting to see the world!