Dress code?

Dolebludger

I understand. There seems to be a good bit of inconsistency about the "real dress code" on Silversea. While my personal preferences lean toward the casual, I am very respectful of the fact that many people want formal occasions. I don't want to "rain on their parade", or be told to go to my room. Before committing several $thousand USD for a cruise, I'd just like to know what is expected so (if I decide to go) I will bring the needed clothing, and leave unneeded clothing at home. As we are older people, volume and weight of luggage is an issue for us. (When was the last time you were in an airport that hat porterage services available?).

I hope Silversea Clarifies some of these matters -- and soon.

Over 20 years on SS and the dress code has hardly changed in the brochures.The different interpretations depend upon who is Maitre d and hotel director.The most senior by way of years with SS apply the dress code with no leeway more recent people in the positions mentioned have a higher tolerance to slight variations.The safest approach is to pack so you can meet the laid down dress code.It saves the embarrassment of being turned away from a restaurant or other facility ie bar.

Probably the best way to interpret the SS dress code matter, in a practical sense, and in considering competing lines. The many who like more formal dress among the guests will find this a plus. Those who prefer more causal attire should consider it a minus.

I'm frankly amazed by how screwed up people get by this Dress Code thing. For God's sake people, just wear what you are comfortable with and don't get hung up about it!

For us that meant never wearing a suit or a tie for our entire cruise. The fact that all my clothing is Ralph Lauren with Ferragamo loafers hardly matters. We personally hated the main dining room on the Cloud with its pretentious and terrible food and much preferred the Terrazza where we ate outside most nights, enjoying the tropical air. And at that particular venue some people even wore jeans and polo shirts. I never saw any kind of dress code enforced by any member of staff.

You are on a cruise to have a fun time not to get intimidated by a few old stick-in-the-muds in penguin suits.

Edited by Fletcher

I'm frankly amazed by how screwed up people get by this Dress Code thing. For God's sake people, just wear what you are comfortable with and don't get hung up about it!

You are on a cruise to have a fun time not to get intimidated by a few old stick-in-the-muds in penguin suits.

I totally agree, however sometimes those old stick-in-the-muds in penguin suits are staff, and let me tell you, being denied entrance to the dining room because you misinterpreted the "code", can really put a damper on the cruise.

That said, the best dressed crowd I ever sailed with was on Seadream. What is the most interesting thing about that is they do not have a dress code.

Remember Silversea brochures ten years ago? Photos of models in tuxedos and long gowns in everyone. Not so much anymore. Most of the photos portray models in casual clothing. That should tell y ou a lot about how relaxed the dress code has become.

I agree with Fletcher. Wear what you want (within reason) and others should do the same.

Seabourn have just changed their dress code to one or two optional formal and smart casual for the rest. Silversea is now the only one of the luxury lines with three codes and too many formal. Can't wait for them to catch up.

Well,three codes is an issue, especially on a tropical cruise where you can also add shorts, swimwear, and ultra casual, for a total of six "dress codes". This adds up to a lot of packing and a lot of luggage to haul through airports and other transfers where there never seems to be any help. All these dinner dress codes were rather fun, back in the day when "Sky Cap" was still an occupation.

When I started thisbthread, I was considering a Silversea get-away for early next Spting. Then the reality of the logistics set in, and we booked a cruise on Regent.

Edited by Dolebludger

Well,three codes is an issue, especially on a tropical cruise where you can also add shorts, swimwear, and ultra casual, for a total of six "dress codes". This adds up to a lot of packing and a lot of luggage to haul through airports and other transfers where there never seems to be any help. All these dinner dress codes were rather fun, back in the day when "Sky Cap" was still an occupation.

When I started thisbthread, I was considering a Silversea get-away for early next Spting. Then the reality of the logistics set in, and we booked a cruise on Regent.

I am so sorry the dress code inhibited you from enjoying SS! I understand that a casual elegant dress code seems to be the preference of most cruisers nowadays, but I will surely miss formal nights if the code is changed. For some reason, it doesn't present a problem with our luggage, and we only carry one suitcase each for 11-16 day cruises. I will readily accept a more relaxed dress code, but I ask you to also accept those of us who will overdress, according to this new relaxed code that may be implemented in the future. Please don't rule SS out.

Oh, no, we have cruised SS before. Would consider SS for other than a tropical "beach cruise". The need to take beach wear and similar makes it just to much luggage for us old folks to handle, with the three dress codes and the lack of porterage these days in getting to the port.

We have no trouble with the dress codes. Casual to formal is almost interchangeable these days. My DH still takes tux but many now wear dark suit or even blazer and slacks as long as it's with a tie on formal nights. That the only time he wears a tie. Some ladies dress up but the long dresses are rare these days. A dress that sees you through casual can be dressed up with jewellery (real or otherwise, no problem) and perhaps more formal shoes etc. Swimwear doesn't weigh much and if it tropical or even Med hot, shorts and cut off don't weigh much. We are in mid 70s and manage fine with a couple of average suitcases for up to 20 days. Admittedly, free laundry is a boon.

Interesting comment about the free laundry. I haven't checked on SS's laundry situation lately, and it closely relates to my situation. When I was last on SS, there were self-service laundries. However, we don't like to do laundry at home, let alone on a cruise. Also, SS would do laundry for guests at a per-piece price. There was no included laundry service, nor was there any flat-rate laundry package. So I wonder if there have been any changes in this?

Just for information, we have "Gold Status" on Regent, which has very recently added included laundry in its benefits. We have only 14 nights on SS, so I just assumed laundry would be "ala carte" as it was a decade ago. But I may be wrong.

Understood. Does SS offer a flat-rate "laundry package"? On our last cruise on the Paul Gauguin laundry service wasn't included, but such a package was offered at what we felt was a very reasonable price. Also, we took a music cruise in the MSC Yacht Club, and they also offered such a package. We found that these allowed us to pack light and have our clothing "recycled" at a much petter price than the "prt-item" price.

There is no flat rate package but a piece by piece charge. We have always found laundry service to be efficient (outside the suite before 9, back by 5 the same day) and reasonable. Dry cleaning is actually cheaper than here in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered shipping your luggage to the ship? (Pardon the pun). I understand that it works well albeit at a fairly steep cost.

We use the SS valet service which is much better value when shipping to overnight hotel prior to cruise rather than home to ship which is very expensive due to the Port Authority charging extortionate amounts for the service which hotels do not add anything to the costs.A very good and efficient experience so far.

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread. I've realized I simply need to freshen my wardrobe and move up to Silversea.

DW has been on a couple of SS adventures (Russia and Alaska) with her sister and loved it. I like the idea of being back on a smaller ship. I've always regretted not cruising on the old Sitmar line and maybe this will fill that need.

DW is Venetian. Would I get the same rate if we book using her Venetian Society number?

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread. I've realized I simply need to freshen my wardrobe and move up to Silversea.

DW has been on a couple of SS adventures (Russia and Alaska) with her sister and loved it. I like the idea of being back on a smaller ship. I've always regretted not cruising on the old Sitmar line and maybe this will fill that need.

DW is Venetian. Would I get the same rate if we book using her Venetian Society number?

Venetian ra

However you can get an introductory credit, as can the Venetian.

I'd move up to Regent or Seabourn. As good as, if not better than, Silversea and with a much more relaxing dress code. I have not found it abused with other guests being too casual in the evenings. In fact it's the dress code that deters us from cruising with Silversea.

I'd move up to Regent or Seabourn. As good as, if not better than, Silversea and with a much more relaxing dress code. I have not found it abused with other guests being too casual in the evenings. In fact it's the dress code that deters us from cruising with Silversea.

Which only shows we all have choices as the Silversea dress code pulls us to them and away from Regent or Seabourn. Guess if we all liked the same thing there'd only be one cruise line with all the same sized ships doing the exact same itineraries, etc., etc.

Randy,

That is true about SS. I did not start this thread to criticize SS. I only wanted to know if the onboard situation would fit the desires and needs I have now. In fact, we cruised SS a couple of times a decade or so ago. I even took and wore my tux. So we know that SS is a great line. But since then, I have become old and assistance in navigating the airport system has disappeared. So the simplified dress codes on Regent (and the fact that our status there gives us included, unlimited laundry along with a fare discount) just had to be factors for us. And I thank all who responded to my questions.

My husband and I are now looking at Silversea for cruising next year as we are hoping they will have an itinerary that appeals in December/January 2017/18. We already have cruises booked prior to that on Seabourn.

One thing that appeals to us about Silversea is the dress code and the feeling we won't be judged since we like to dress up. We are fit active people during the day in port and we like the contrast of coming back to the ship, showering and wearing something more elegant. If other people prefer a more casual approach that is fine with me and many ships cater for that. I hope Silversea keeps their dress codes.

Julie