Newbie to RSSC

ducklite

LeeAnne--That was WONDERFUL! He'll LOVE the info about the running track. He often runs at night, in the dark, so scenery isn't all that important to him. The level of service and entertainment sound perfect--not overly ofrmal like some of the other higher end lines, but just perfect for us. I love topical lectures--went to one at our clubhouse last night.

I think we're going to settle on a date and book this weekend. He's interested, I can tell because he sent me a link to a different RSSC cruise than the one I suggested--he liked it because it was Emphasis on Chocolate, which he loves. I couldn't care much one way or the other, so it was fine with me, until I noticed that it stops at Nassau rather than Barbados.

Anne

Glad I could help. :) Interesting that the it's the MALE half of your marriage that is so into chocolate. LOL!

I have been on three of the mass-market lines (Celebrity, RCCL, and Carnival) but this is the only luxury line I've sailed, so I don't have another luxury line to compare it to. I can tell you that I can't imagine another would come close to being as perfect as this one, for my particular tastes and needs. I have read that one or two of the others do tend to get bogged down with a somewhat snooty, overly-formal aura, which I prefer to avoid. Sounds like you do too, so I'm sure you'll be quite happy.

Oh, and I can relate to the running at night. I've spent way too many nights out doing long training runs in prep for a race, where all I could see where the moon and stars. (Unfortunately I won't be doing that anymore -- I injured my back recently, so no more marathons for me.)

Have fun selecting your cruise!

LeeAnne

Ducklite, I enjoyed reading your posts. We too have done DCL many times (8) and have enjoyed it with the kids, but it is now time to move on.

Our criteria for selecting a ship was exactly the same as yours.

We will be sailing Voyager in November and will let you know how it compares to DCL.

The tough part may be going back on DCL for our Double Scoop cruise in May 06.

I was on the same cruise as Lee Ann. She is a delightful person and I believe you can trust her opinion.

It was my second cruise on the Voyager and my 5th on the RSSC line. Also, my mother has been cruising at least twice a year for the last 15 years on all the major lines and she thinks RSSC is superior to even the higher-priced ships.

The only people I have ever heard express a negative experience on this cruise line was a 30-year-old Argentinan couple from South Beach. They were definitely fast-lane types and would have had been better suited for a swingers cruise in the Caribbean.

A few other notes - the service on this ship is to die for. If I ran a company I would send all of my employees on this ship to learn the real definition of customer service. Also, their no-tipping policy is curiously NOT the industry norm for luxury ships. You won't appreciate it until you cruise on another line where you receive irritating daily reminders about tipping the staff.

I've book another cruise on this ship from Dover to Copenhagen, June 19-July 1 and am already counting the days.

All the best with your travels.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I don't know if you have visited St.Petersburg before.If not you have a real treat in store.It is one of my favourite cities,and is visually quite stunning.

There is so much to see that you will be spoilt for choice,but try to see the Church of the Spilt Blood(in the city),and the Catherine's,and Peterhof Palaces(outside the city).

Given the size of the Voyager,I would expect it to be moored in the commercial docks on the outskirts of the city,which unfortunately means extra time travelling to see the city centre sights.

Terry.

Hi Terry,

We were on the Voyager this summer and docked right at the first bridge. So convenient to the Hermitage and could see St. Isaacs' gleam. I do know later in the summer, she docked with the commercial ships. It must be all about first-come, first-serve. We were lucky.

Beth

Hi Beth,

you were lucky with the Voyager mooring in the city centre.

I always thought that only smaller vessels were permitted to moor there.

Last August,only two vessels were there viz the vessel we were on,the Seabourn Pride( 10,000 GRT ),and the Europa( 28,600 GRT ).

In actual fact,we were moored at a river steamer stop.

As you say,it is a marvellous location to moor,especially when it is Navy Day with the two columns lit,and the fireworks.

I love RSSC and have cruised on it several times..another line you may want to consider is Oceania..NO formal nights and no jackets and ties..same size as the Voyager..holds 684 passengers and has a running track..a little less pricey than RSSC..although the only suites you can get with a separate bedroom is the Vista Suite and the Owners Suite..also 5 star..

Jan

All:

I know Jan is a big fan and promoter of Oceania, but here are some things to check out before you conclude it is a true alternative to Radisson. First, their ships have a passenger to space ratio of 42 or something, while Radisson's are from 60 to 72 (the higher the number, the less crowded the ship will be.) Second, no soda, bottled water alcholic drinks, or wine are included on Ocenania, but are at extra charge (reportedly the highest of the cruise lines) In contrast, on Radisson (as you know) soft drinks and bottled water are included all the time, and alcoholic drinks, wine, and beer are included at dinner --- along with the two liters of liquor and stocked mini refrigerator of soft drinks and mixer in you suite. You won't get this on Oceania. Third, you have to check out the cabins/staterooms/suites, or whatever you want to call them on both lines. You will have to upgrade considerably on Oceanica to equal the cheapest suite on Radisson ships. Fourth, you must consider that tips are inculded in your fare on Radisson, whereas Oceania has just about the highest "suggested tipping" amount of any line.

Frankly, I'd like to cruise Oceania because of the highly "traditional" interior design of their ships, and their all casual dining. But each time I price Oceania against Radisson (considering all the factors mentioned above) I find Radisson to be the least expensive.

I truly wish Oceania would include in their fare tips, room bottles, mini-fridge with mixer, soft drinks 24/7, and drinks with dinner. If they would do that, I'd book in the morning, as they would be a true competitor of Radisson. As it is, Oceania is just a good, premuim, casual, open dining mass market line.

Thanks,

Richard

Something else that could impact your decision between Radisson and Oceania is that Oceania does NOT allow smoking in your cabin or on your own balcony. We were recently on the Voyager and the Oceania Regatta was in port with us in Sorrento. We talked to some passengers on their ship in Sorrento and they were disappointed to learn this ONCE THEY HAD ALREADY BOOKED AND PAID in full. They said that had they known this before they would not have booked. Oceania does have some great itineraries though!

I, for one, applaud Oceania's no smoking policy. Being downwind from a cigar smoker on the neighboring balcony is not one of life's enriching experiences! But, that policy should be clearly stated pre-cruise both to warn the smoker and attract the non-smokers. We have been curious about Oceania - am suspicious about their low prices - would hate to discover after boarding what is sacrificed compared to RSSC other than the obvious ones mentioned earlier. Yes, the itineraries are interesting

I think (but am not sure) that Oceania is non smoking in all interior areas, with some deck areas where smoking is OK. Is this the case? If so Oceania could be a higher level substitute for the formerly non-smoking Carnival Paradise (which now allows smoking).

Thanks,

Richard

Oceania standard cabins do have a balcony, but they are MUCH smaller than the standard suite on the Mariner or Voyager, with a bathroom that two people cannot be near at the same time, and a shower stall that feels cramped. If, as Dolebludger says, the prices are competitive, Radisson is more for the money.

I would beg to differ on one point. On Oceania, one must do a bit of upgrading to get a baclony. On the RSSC Mariner and Voyager, the cheapest suites have balconies. On The Radisson Navigator and Paul Gauguin, one must also upgrade to get a balcony. BUT the cheapest non-balcony suite on the Navigator is 300 Sq. ft. and on the Paul Gauguin it is 200 sq. ft. One must do a good bit of upgrading on Oceania to get a cabin/suite of either of these sizes --- even without a balcony.

Thanks,
Richard

[quote name='petlover']Something else that could impact your decision between Radisson and Oceania is that Oceania does NOT allow smoking in your cabin or on your own balcony. We were recently on the Voyager and the Oceania Regatta was in port with us in Sorrento. We talked to some passengers on their ship in Sorrento and they were disappointed to learn this ONCE THEY HAD ALREADY BOOKED AND PAID in full. They said that had they known this before they would not have booked. Oceania does have some great itineraries though![/QUOTE]

Well, that is a strong selling point for us. We do'nt smoke, and don't allow it in our homes, cars, etc. In fact I don't even allow my friends to smoke on my lanai or in my garage. That was one of the things we loved about DCL.

Anne

While I'm not going to say that the cost doesn't matter, it's not a huge issue for us. We book what we want/need, and wouldn't consider an inside room, or a roomw ithout a balcony. Additionally we desire the butler/concierge level, and have no problem paying for it.

That said, Oceana doesn't look like a good fit for us, it seems that they are geared toward an older crowd, and their cabins don't seem to have an inbetween--they go from what we consider too small to larger than we need. Additionally, their cruises are longer than what we can swing at this point in our lives as far as being away from home and work.

We have pretty much decided on trying RSSC, now it's jsut a matter of which cruise and when.

Anne

Archived