Getting Close to 1st Experience...some random questions

grilljockey

We are a family of 5 with three teen-aged kids, plus my awesome mother in law...and we are on the 7 day Rome to Athens on Journey in mid June. Our only cruise experience to date was not a great one...mega-ship, vultures surrounding the yellow cheese dip laden buffets, etc. Not our cup of tea. But, we fell in love with Italy a few years ago and are thrilled to get back and see more of Italy plus Greece, without the hassles of lugging the bags of several 'over packers' in our family. So decided to give this much more attractive option a go, and I'm really excited about it.

We used a TA, but unfortunately she is not very up to speed or helpful on things generally. So I have a few lingering questions if the great peeps here on the forum don't mind!

Pre-Cruise - Other than registering on the Azamara website, anything else we need to do? We will do our own exploring and probably not use the ship's tours much if at all.

I hear that there may be a mailing that we get from Azamara with more details of our cruise? We are about 43 days away from boarding...should that info already be in our hands, or coming shortly?

Tendering - I get the sense that there will be priority tendering for those on booked excursions, which makes total sense. But otherwise, do the tenders run constantly through the day? Should we plan for long waiting times leaving the boat (provided it is not during 'excursion rush hour' or in port when we want to go back? Is it realistic to maybe go back and forth 2x if we need a little breather back on ship?

Patio Grill - Its a short cruise, so we won't have so many days to try everything. But I don't see the fam liking the Aqualina menu much, and Prime C will be of limited success I think. I'm a foodie, but the rest of the family is going to be a bit more picky and not as adventurous. What are the general offerings at the Patio Grill in the evenings? I'm thinking they will like the more casual outdoor vibe, especially if the food is a bit more straightforward.

Is it kosher to get maybe appetizers at one place and then go somewhere else for main courses?

Azamazing Evening - The Azamazing evening description does not sound too appealing for us. It seems like more of a Opera style or Classical singing sort of deal in a somewhat spartan looking theatre. Kids would probably not be into this too much. Are the specialty restaurants open on these evenings? Thinking it might be good to book Prime C that night. We are Veranda cabins, and won't have the priority reservation options since not in suites

Similar question on the White Nights evening. I think we will want to attend that, but if not, are the Specialty's open on this evening which I assume is our only day fully at sea. (Interesting side note....my eldest daughter who is a Freshman in college is really into Shag dancing. It's a huge thing on campus evidently!!! So she and my mother in law who loves to dance will probably be cutting a rug together! My wife and I are in our mid 40's and dancing was not a big part of our upbringing. Will be cool to see our daughter and her mother out there dancing!:):)

Laundry - Since this is just a 7 day cruise, and we have days pre and post on our own, I was hoping we could get some laundry done right after boarding. Do you think they will have the $30 per bag option on a short cruise like this? I prefer not do do laundry ourselves, but don't want to spend a fortune either. This question will impact how lightly I push everyone to pack. If I give the wrong guidance, I'll be the guy in the rowboat trailing the ship....

Sorry for all of the questions here!

We are a family of 5 with three teen-aged kids, plus my awesome mother in law...and we are on the 7 day Rome to Athens on Journey in mid June. Our only cruise experience to date was not a great one...mega-ship, vultures surrounding the yellow cheese dip laden buffets, etc. Not our cup of tea. But, we fell in love with Italy a few years ago and are thrilled to get back and see more of Italy plus Greece, without the hassles of lugging the bags of several 'over packers' in our family. So decided to give this much more attractive option a go, and I'm really excited about it.

We used a TA, but unfortunately she is not very up to speed or helpful on things generally. So I have a few lingering questions if the great peeps here on the forum don't mind!

Pre-Cruise - Other than registering on the Azamara website, anything else we need to do? We will do our own exploring and probably not use the ship's tours much if at all.

Once registered, you should complete the online check in. You will need your reservation number to do this and the passport details o all your group

I hear that there may be a mailing that we get from Azamara with more details of our cruise? We are about 43 days away from boarding...should that info already be in our hands, or coming shortly?

You should have it in the next week but you can also access the guest booklet from the online check in page

Tendering - I get the sense that there will be priority tendering for those on booked excursions, which makes total sense. But otherwise, do the tenders run constantly through the day? Should we plan for long waiting times leaving the boat (provided it is not during 'excursion rush hour' or in port when we want to go back? Is it realistic to maybe go back and forth 2x if we need a little breather back on ship?

It very much depends on the port but the beauty of Azamara is that there are no lines for tenders, they might restrict access in the first half hour but that is all. Tenders run all day and so yes you can go back and forward as much as you like. You mention you are going to be in Greece, the only thing if you are in Santorini, the ship is not allowed to use its own tenders, it is at the mercy of the local boat union, but it usually works ok. The lines for the funicular up and down which is again locally controlled might limit you though

Patio Grill - Its a short cruise, so we won't have so many days to try everything. But I don't see the fam liking the Aqualina menu much, and Prime C will be of limited success I think. I'm a foodie, but the rest of the family is going to be a bit more picky and not as adventurous. What are the general offerings at the Patio Grill in the evenings? I'm thinking they will like the more casual outdoor vibe, especially if the food is a bit more straightforward.

The Patio sounds the ideal venue for your family and do not forget, you can also nip into the buffet to top up the choice from the themed buffet. The lamb tenderloin is a big favourite of mine now and the fish was also great. The main dining room is also very good so do not discount that option

Is it kosher to get maybe appetizers at one place and then go somewhere else for main courses?

This often happens - it is easy to make choices as the menus for the whole cruise are on the interactive TV menu so it is worth taking out 30 mins early on to come to a family plan of what you do each night. We had tapas as starters and then went to the main dining room a few times. The servers were initially worried there was a problem with the menu choice until we explained we had already been "grazing"

Azamazing Evening - The Azamazing evening description does not sound too appealing for us. It seems like more of a Opera style or Classical singing sort of deal in a somewhat spartan looking theatre. Kids would probably not be into this too much. Are the specialty restaurants open on these evenings? Thinking it might be good to book Prime C that night. We are Veranda cabins, and won't have the priority reservation options since not in suites

I would expect you would have no problems getting a speciality booking that night, however they often only have only one venue open. If you find it is Aqualina, talk to the Maitre D a few days ahead if there is anything specific you would want from the Prime C menu and I am sure they will do all they can to let you have it

Similar question on the White Nights evening. I think we will want to attend that, but if not, are the Specialty's open on this evening which I assume is our only day fully at sea. White nights will be on one of the nights when you are in port until later on - they do this so there is not too much breeze across the decks, yes again the Specialities will be open also check the main dining room choices that night as our past cruises, some of the best menus - surf and turf etc have been served that night in the main restaurant. This is a good night to skip desserts and hold on for the crepe suzettes prepared pool side which are always very enjoyable (Interesting side note....my eldest daughter who is a Freshman in college is really into Shag dancing. It's a huge thing on campus evidently!!! So she and my mother in law who loves to dance will probably be cutting a rug together! My wife and I are in our mid 40's and dancing was not a big part of our upbringing. Will be cool to see our daughter and her mother out there dancing!:):)

Laundry - Since this is just a 7 day cruise, and we have days pre and post on our own, I was hoping we could get some laundry done right after boarding. Do you think they will have the $30 per bag option on a short cruise like this? I prefer not do do laundry ourselves, but don't want to spend a fortune either. This question will impact how lightly I push everyone to pack. If I give the wrong guidance, I'll be the guy in the rowboat trailing the ship....

I know many people want the ships self service laundry to be back in operation but you would be best served if it was not as you would all get one free bag of laundry done on a nominated day. Because of this, they have not had the $30 special on for a while but it may be back if the self service is back in operation. The only problem with it is it is usually well towards the end of the cruise which may not suit some

Most important thing - enjoy your first Azamara experience!!!

Similar question on the White Nights evening. I think we will want to attend that, but if not, are the Specialty's open on this evening which I assume is our only day fully at sea. (Interesting side note....my eldest daughter who is a Freshman in college is really into Shag dancing. It's a huge thing on campus evidently!!! So she and my mother in law who loves to dance will probably be cutting a rug together! My wife and I are in our mid 40's and dancing was not a big part of our upbringing. Will be cool to see our daughter and her mother out there dancing!:):)

We are on this cruise too and are very much looking forward to it.

Have you registered for the Meet and Mingle? It is for Cruise Critic members and is usually held at around 6pm on embarkation day in the Living Room. It is usually a very convivial gathering.

You might also find it helpful to join the roll call for this cruise.

We love Sorrento but are also undecided about the Azamazing Evening at the moment and plan to make a decision nearer the time.

Look forward to meeting you and your family in June.

Edited by Spursgirl

you do need to check in on line and order your bag tags online. i do not get that mailing as i do it all online.. tag just show i mail. not sure if i opted out but i do not get anything by mail that i need to trash.

i have been on the 1st tender while on a private tour. .never been a problem.. you end up waiting for the tender to fill up. they sail full about the 1st hour they arrive. they wait leaving a port- tenders run about every 15 to 30 minutes but near the end of day more often. .last tender about an hour to 30 minutes before we sail. varies by port.. once i leave i do not go back.. wastes to much time.

I would eat on shore when you can. try the grill i prefer the buffet soup-salad-main-dessert. i did not have good luck with flavors/ seasoning..

with the new Tapas i found i had them and then went for a starter in Prime C or just a snack at the buffet.

funny i am looking forward to this one. many i skip. there always one speciality place open and the other closed.. you can ask on board. they switch every other cruises.

oh Good someone to dance with. always the specialities are open.. i tend to eat there and then go dance. i eat very little so i can dance.

with land pre and post i take some extra things so i can wash on ship.. i get free laundry. but i do wash somethings and hang in my bathroom. the rest goes out.. laundry is free. the first day sailing out of Rome you might get in there. but it is hard to do. good luck on that.

more questions we will help you

Uktog has provided you some excellent advice. I would add that one of the luxuries of a small ship like the Journey is the lack of lines to disembark or embark, tethers or no tethers. A totally different experience from the mega-ship that you have sailed on. Almost no wait on the Journey.

From the description of your family, I would recommend attending the White Night party. The food on deck is buffet, good quality. Your family could claim your own table, enjoy the food and outdoor ambience, and then there is dancing to a live band. We're not talking disco here! You guys will have a great time. Don't skip it.

Thanks everyone, especially uktog for the responses.

Anyone out there have more info on the Patio menus? Is it the same-ish menu every night, or does it rotate like the others?

salad-a soup- same meats nightly-a different fish. same sides-ice cream and some other dessert. just og into buffet to add whatever you want.. i should have.

Once again, Uktog is your go-to-guy. We had the ribs and they were OK. Think of this as an informal grill. Works best in warm weather. And the hot tip continues to be to bring in some sides from the Windows buffet next door.

Will there be a White NIght evening on the British Isles cruise? I bet it will be chilly. Does it ever get moved inside?

It does get moved inside when it is too windy or cold or of course if it rains - then you have the choice of the main dining room/specialities or they still do the big buffet but you eat inside. After they go down to the Cabaret Lounge on Deck5. We had that on our transatlantic cruise and although the atmosphere was "different" it was still a great night. The main advantage is it seemed easier to get to the dance floor and get a drink, the disadvantage was it was harder to "circulate and socialise"

It does get moved inside when it is too windy or cold or of course if it rains - then you have the choice of the main dining room/specialities or they still do the big buffet but you eat inside. After they go down to the Cabaret Lounge on Deck5. We had that on our transatlantic cruise and although the atmosphere was "different" it was still a great night. The main advantage is it seemed easier to get to the dance floor and get a drink, the disadvantage was it was harder to "circulate and socialise"

I agree. They do a good job of it and the HD and F & B Manager are on hand doing crepe suzettes in the Cabaret Lounge, but it's just not the same as a deck party.

Phil

Perfecto! I did a search but somehow missed this! Thanks again uktog!!

I had the chicken one night and it was very good. If you are in the mood for a burger as I was one evening I thought it was quite a bit better than the standard daytime affair available there. A friend had the steak and she said it was really good.

Phil

one of the luxuries of a small ship like the Journey is the lack of lines to disembark or embark, tenders or no tenders. . . Almost no wait on the Journey.

From the description of your family, I would recommend attending the White Night party. The food on deck is buffet, good quality.

Go to the gangway if you want to get off early; they'll most likely tell you to board the waiting tender.

1 or 2 ship excusion groups of 25 people or less are sent to the tender at a time when all the tickets for a group are handed out AND the bus, etc are ready to go. So there's a good chance some of the 200 tender seats are free. And you can speak with the senior officers who greet ship excusion groups leaving and coming back to the ship. Don't be surprised if they wish you happy birthday on your day.

On White Night, don't just get in the 1st (sometimes long) line for grilled meats. Go around to the right to the sushi bar (the normal cold salad bar area), or to the left for appetizers, custom made ceasar salad or baked potato by an officer, or fruit sliced for you by a chef. Also, the center table has vegetables, pasta, fish, other meats and my favorite, tender calamari. On the way back, check out the desserts.

We share an appetizer plate or two with calamari, olives, cheeses, etc. Then get sample plates of salad and, and, calamari again, and. Get more of what you like and enjoy the evening.

Leave room for crepe suzettes made with 2 or 3 liquors generously poured into the sauce with a side of ice cream, of course.

Salivating til May and our next Az cruise!

Another question came to mind.... Are the published times in the various ports on the website pretty accurate generally? If the time is posted until 10:00 for example, does that mean last tender at 10, or that you need to be on the ship by 10?

I ask only because I am trying to make some plans on where to view a sunset from that hits at about 8:40pm and the website shows 10:00 as the departure time.

This will be in Santorini for those that may have been. Thinking that we won't be able to do the sunset at Oia like many do because from sunset to published departure time is only about 1:20 and taxi rides would need to happen.

Or, maybe they will position the ship for a nice sunset view? Anyone have Santorini experience with AZ that might have an idea here?

10pm is the ship departure time. Santorini is a tender port and the last tender will probably be no later than 9pm. Maybe 9.15. There will be plenty of vantage points to see the sunset onboard depending upon which way the ship is facing. It's a busy day in Santorini when we are there (I'm on your cruise) and my advice would be to get up and at 'em because two ships arrive early afternoon and if you want to get up to the top by cable car it will be very busy.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Two more questions popped up as the family is getting ready. We have teenaged kids who seem to live on SnapChat. I guess posting their daily snap chat 'stories' is right up there with food, water and sleep...maybe not even in that order.

I know there is wifi through the ship...but I assume this is not like wifi in a hotel where you just log on and can use at your leisure. I assume that every minute you are on the internet via wifi or otherwise, you will be charged minutes for useage?

Assuming so, I'm probably going to have the kids start scoping wifi spots on shore to do their daily updates.

Second...has anyone tried to attach those black binder clips or something with a little weight to the bottom of the shower curtains to keep them from sticking? Think I might try that and report back if it works....

Two more questions popped up as the family is getting ready. We have teenaged kids who seem to live on SnapChat. I guess posting their daily snap chat 'stories' is right up there with food, water and sleep...maybe not even in that order.

I know there is wifi through the ship...but I assume this is not like wifi in a hotel where you just log on and can use at your leisure. I assume that every minute you are on the internet via wifi or otherwise, you will be charged minutes for useage?

Assuming so, I'm probably going to have the kids start scoping wifi spots on shore to do their daily updates.

Second...has anyone tried to attach those black binder clips or something with a little weight to the bottom of the shower curtains to keep them from sticking? Think I might try that and report back if it works....

Excellent questions.

Since you won't have loyalty points etc., most likely your best approach for the internet is to purchase one of the "plans" on board, and these plans will provide choices as to how many minutes you are allotted. Generally the minutes are available for one device at a time.

But given the lack of speed in the service, unless you wish to observe your kids spending even more time than usual staring at a screen, yes, it is best to use services on shore. It could be some great research for them to find local Wifi services, however we find that in port the staff on board can easily point to a local restaurant etc. which they frequent for cheap and speedy access. This may help them to avoid the local McDonald's.

As for the shower curtain, that is certainly an interesting approach. Personally, unlike others, I have never had problems with a "clingy" curtain on board, but that may reflect that, generally, I notice my body simply seems to not hold the same attractive powers that it used to have. :)

Have a great cruise!

Edited by nordski

As for the shower curtain, that is certainly an interesting approach. Personally, unlike others, I have never had problems with a "clingy" curtain on board, but that may reflect that, generally, I notice my body simply seems to not hold the same attractive powers that it used to have.

Sorry nordski but that really made me smile...I know the feeling !!

Must admit I have never found it a problem either.

Excellent questions.

Since you won't have loyalty points etc., most likely your best approach for the internet is to purchase one of the "plans" on board, and these plans will provide choices as to how many minutes you are allotted. Generally the minutes are available for one device at a time.

But given the lack of speed in the service, unless you wish to observe your kids spending even more time than usual staring at a screen, yes, it is best to use services on shore. It could be some great research for them to find local Wifi services, however we find that in port the staff on board can easily point to a local restaurant etc. which they frequent for cheap and speedy access. This may help them to avoid the local McDonald's.

As for the shower curtain, that is certainly an interesting approach. Personally, unlike others, I have never had problems with a "clingy" curtain on board, but that may reflect that, generally, I notice my body simply seems to not hold the same attractive powers that it used to have. :)

Have a great cruise!

That made me laugh :D

Maybe this is why I don't have trouble with the shower curtain either!

I love that comment on the loss of 'powers of attraction'! :DI needed the laugh today! Thx!!

Have a great cruise!