Oasis of The Seas-CRUISING FROM A KID"S POINT OF VIEW

My son was inspired to do a review for those of you who have kids, here's his take of our recent trip. Feel free to ask both of us questions. If he can't answer, I'll try to help. Enjoy!

Hi! My name is Jack I am a 10 years old and my favorite thing to do on vacation is cruising. My favorite cruise line is Royal Caribbean. Mainly because of the aqua theater, flowrider , and ice skating rink. I will be doing my reviews like no one else because I will be doing it from a kid’s point of view. Why? Because do you ever wonder what your 10 year old kids thinks when you take them on a cruise.

I will be telling you what most of the kids my age would think if they went on the Oasis of the Seas. My inspiration comes from a man named Gambee. If you don’t know who Gambee is, he writes great reviews and I had already read his review of the Oasis of the Seas before I went and it was great. He has is own website dedicated to cruising reviews. If you want to check it out go to http://www.cruisingwithgambee.com. I also love taking photos while cruising. So I took all the photos you will be seeing in the reviews I do. Oh, and before I start the reviews alI would like to thank you for clicking on my review.

Edited by joanc88

I'm taking my kids on their 1st cruise. They are a bit older than you are Jack. They'll be 12,15 & 16 when we cruise next summer on Harmony but I'm still really excited to hear your view of cruising. Especially excursions.

I also really enjoyed Gambees review. Thank you for doing this! Cannot wait to read it.

This is awesome! I think this is the first of its kind! Great start Jack, can't wait for more to come.

By the way, thanks for the shout out, I truly appreciate it. I wish I had started reviewing at your age. You are very lucky to be cruising at such a young age, and having the opportunity to write your first review :)

Anyway, keep up the good work, excited to see your pictures.

P.S. I think your grammar is better than mine :D

I'm taking my kids on their 1st cruise. They are a bit older than you are Jack. They'll be 12,15 & 16 when we cruise next summer on Harmony but I'm still really excited to hear your view of cruising. Especially excursions.

I also really enjoyed Gambees review. Thank you for doing this! Cannot wait to read it.

This is Jack's mom-Just FYI-be sure to attend the Teen intro where they lay down the ground rules. They gave examples of what the cruise line would do depending on severity-most severe being they'll kick you off the ship at the next port. For your "tween", make sure you check out both the Teen club and the activities in the 9-12 group because they'll have to make a choice which group to be a part of, you need to sign off on one, they can't bounce between both.

Although I let the kids go off periodically on their own, the rule was they have to tell me where they'll be and that we'd check in at a certain time in a designated spot, if they abuse it and not be at the venue they said, then the consequence would be they would have to spend the day with the parents. I did spot checks to make sure they were at the location they told me. I didn't want them to run all over such a big ship for their safety and others. Leaving notes was good as well as texting-we activated just the basic wifi for 2 devices, it was enough, the internet was fast.

Subscribing. I'm an old lady in my 30s now but started cruising when I was a a little younger than you, Jack, and I have fond memories of my first few cruises to this day! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. :)

Excited to follow this thread, Jack! Gambee was also an inspiration to me to start cruise reviews, although in my teen years.

Cruising on Royal Caribbean was my favorite way to vacation at your age too and will most likely continue to be; too bad Oasis didn't exist when I was 10!

Can't wait for more!

To Jacks Mom, print out all of his posts and save them in a scrapbook for him. Not many young men his age are even interested in writing let alone doing a review. You have a future writer on your hands and should be very proud! I can't wait for his review!!

Hi! I finally finished my homework and can start my review.

The Friday before vacation, I couldn’t pay attention in school because I was thinking about going on the world’s largest ship. Wait…second largest ship by TWO inches! I had been on the Allure of the Seas a few years ago and I’m really going to miss those inches. :cool:

After being on the Allure of the Seas, I knew what I wanted to do on the Oasis of the Seas. I was an inch short and a few pounds too light to go on the flowrider and the zipline last time.

We got to Ft. Lauderdale at 11:30, it was a short taxi ride to the pier. It was exciting to watch as we approached the Oasis of the Seas. I got a good picture of the Independence of the Seas.

independance_zpsczhftn0t.jpg

I thought it would take forever when I saw lots of people in line. After we got thru the security check, we got in a short line because we were Diamond Crown and Anchor members(thanks Mom and Dad!).

waiting_zps9jbx8kzb.jpg

waiting2_zpszw4i1j2k.jpg

We made it on board by 12:50. My mom made my brother and I unpack and put away our own clothes before she would let us eat and change to swimming suits. I miss when she would do it all for us. My mom got us adjoining cabins so we’d have more room and 2 bathrooms.

room_zpsommadc6g.jpg

We had lunch in the Windjammer, the food was good, it was easy to find a place to sit.

buffet_zpscbbgafd1.jpg

Afterwards, we started to explore the ship. I really wanted to make sure I could go on the flowrider. Good news-I was taller than the boogie board but not tall enough for surfing, so I guess we’ll just have to take another cruise for standup surfing. I had to get a white bracelet and mother got a blue one. The flowrider was amazing! It was really hard though, my mom wiped out, but she wanted to try everything once. My brother didn’t want to try it yet. He wanted to watch others first.

waiting.jpg.6508cf289c4d7411547584402567ef44.jpg

Like I said, awesome! Before they would let me on, the guy in charge asked if those were my parents-what am I supposed to say? No...they are just 2 random people snapping up pictures of me! Of course yes! I guess the white bracelet tells him I have to have an adult present for the flowrider...

P1010920_zpsf5f1rqjc.jpg

It was muster safety time. I hate this part of the cruise even though it’s required. At least we don’t have to wear life jackets anymore. This is how my dad and I feel:

P1010933_zpspcwuttfo.jpg

We walked around some more and saw the Dreamworks sail away party at the Aquatheatre. I thought it would be more interactive, like the one on Disney where everyone was dancing. I would recommend this one for younger kids, all they did was dance around while other people sat. There weren’t a lot of people sitting there. So I got some pictures.

show_zpsvh5nchly.jpg