Maiden voyage issues

Based on what I'm seeing on John Heald's FB page, it looks like there are a few "bugs" to work out on the Vista. But, when has there ever been a maiden voyage of a new ship that DIDN'T have a few issues to work out? As much as I would like to have been on the maiden voyage, I'm glad we didn't go. Hopefully, by the time we sail on the Vista next April, there will be no issues and we'll have a fantastic cruise.

Based on what I'm seeing on John Heald's FB page, it looks like there are a few "bugs" to work out on the Vista. But, when has there ever been a maiden voyage of a new ship that DIDN'T have a few issues to work out? As much as I would like to have been on the maiden voyage, I'm glad we didn't go. Hopefully, by the time we sail on the Vista next April, there will be no issues and we'll have a fantastic cruise.

Exactly - spent enough years at sea courtesy of the military (not even including pleasure cruising with Carnival, HAL, Princess..) that of COURSE there are going to be some issues - hopefully all the 'pioneers' on the maiden voyage are taking it in stride. I'll be on the TA to NYC in the Fall, and am happy to wait.

Meanwhile..what fun!

Exactly - spent enough years at sea courtesy of the military (not even including pleasure cruising with Carnival, HAL, Princess..) that of COURSE there are going to be some issues - hopefully all the 'pioneers' on the maiden voyage are taking it in stride. I'll be on the TA to NYC in the Fall, and am happy to wait.

Meanwhile..what fun!

Meanwhile..what fun!

Someone on my Vista cruisers FB page mentioned issues with some Havana cabins and people having to be moved.

She hasn't replied back as to what kind of issues. :confused:

Inaugural sailings are great for shakedowns. Fill the ship and find the bugs. I'm sure Fincantieri has people on board for a punch list.

Personally, I would never book an inaugural cruise, but many seem to want to be first. Hopefully, we won't see a lot of whiners and complainers (yeah, right), since they should know what they are getting themselves into when they book an inaugural.

I have friends on this cruise and I mentioned I thought she was brave booking the first voyage. She said as long as we have a bed to sleep in, everything else is secondary.

My first of 3 legs is Oct. 1...hopefully, most the kinks will be worked out.

These feeds have been pretty funny and I'm enjoying getting a glimpse of the ship in "real time".

Anybody else think the crowds look pretty sparse in his videos? Where is everybody? I thought I'd heard that the bigger ships are so crowded everywhere.....

Was apprehensive to book based on these reviews of overcrowded newer and larger ships; if this is how Vista will normally be, I'm in!

It seems like the only issues John has reported is a few noise complaints regarding pipes and the tvs not all working properly, then dinner being 15 minutes delayed due to muster drill because of the late departure time. If those are the only issues on a maiden voyage for a large ship then I'd say Carnival should be pretty pleased overall.

Someone on my Vista cruisers FB page mentioned issues with some Havana cabins and people having to be moved.

She hasn't replied back as to what kind of issues. :confused:

Inaugural sailings are great for shakedowns. Fill the ship and find the bugs. I'm sure Fincantieri has people on board for a punch list.

Funny you should mention that...

One of my friends on a past cruise has just been chatting to me on fb about the Vista. Her cruise friends are onboard and they chatted to a couple in an inside Havana who could not sleep because of the noise from the music being really loud til late. I thought this may be the case with those rooms.

She didn't mention they had been moved or asked to be but they had been to guest services apparently.

Edited by Velvetwater

These feeds have been pretty funny and I'm enjoying getting a glimpse of the ship in "real time".

Anybody else think the crowds look pretty sparse in his videos? Where is everybody? I thought I'd heard that the bigger ships are so crowded everywhere.....

Was apprehensive to book based on these reviews of overcrowded newer and larger ships; if this is how Vista will normally be, I'm in!

The question was asked to a few people who are onboard now on FB and their response was there's so much to do and so many places that it doesn't feel packed or congested at all

I have found the opposite to be true. RCI's Allure was not crowded at all, you would never know there were so many people on board. I cannot wait to sail on the Vista.

I've noticed that as well!

I've noticed that as well!

I was wondering why?...Really noticed in outside shots

I'm thinking it may be a little chilly out...especially when ship is traveling. ...it's no the Caribbean. ..

She hasn't replied back as to what kind of issues. *confused*

Also confused are the people who booked right next to probably the best bar on the ship and expected to turn in at 10pm to get a solid, uninterrupted 8 hours sleep.

Edited by Dunnik

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there was banging/popping sounds in the Family Harbor vicinity. Someone was loudly complaining about paying for a Family Harbor Suite and then couldn't sleep. We were farther back in on OV (2458) and didn't have any noise issues.

Someone on our Roll Call said they didn't have hot water for 4 days. Ours was fine. Water pressure was great.

What I didn't like was that you couldn't access the MDR menus on the TV. Oh well. It was really awful to have to actually climb one set of stairs and look at the menus. I think I should get a free cruise, shouldn't I?

Of course there were things that needed work. I didn't book the cruise to be FIRST! I booked it for the itinerary (sadly, mostly to see Ephesus, which didn't happen).

No, she didn't feel crowded. Having sailed on Sunshine last fall, I was familiar with some of the venues and didn't have any trouble finding my way around.

Just wish we'd had more sea days. It was exhausting and I've now been sick for two solid weeks. I think at least 25% of the pax were sick by the time we disembarked on Saturday. Didn't cause me to miss any excursions or meals, though!

Started a review thread, but it's going to be a while. Back at work and no time to upload my photos yet. I know there will be others who post lots and lots of ship photos (I only took a couple as I was concerned with filling up my phone and camera's memory and wanted to be sure I got all the pics I wanted in the ports).

Would I sail her again? Yeah. Sure. Not because she's new, though. I'll sail her if the price and itinerary are right.