We LOVED the Salty Dog

seattleslew

I can't for the life of me understand why people have prejudged (and decided to skip) the Salty Dog. The three of us adults had wayyyyy too much food, all delicious and different from normal MDR, the hamburger was the best I've ever had, and we couldn't finish any of the courses. Our only complaint was that the hamburger was served last and we had overeaten on the first two courses, not leaving enough room for both it and dessert! I do, however, think that the name of the venue has turned people off. That's the only thing I can think of because no one blinks an eye when paying the uncharge at the specialty restaurants. When I filled out my post-cruise survey, I strongly urged them to rename it for the two reasons I can think of: #1, none of the 3 words is appealing to US travelers as relates to food. "Salty" is a turnoff. Dog ... same. Gastro --- ugh. Does anyone else's mind go to a not so good place when you hear the word gastro on a cruise? And I don't think Salty Dog is necessarily a well-known sailing expression. And #2, Pub to me connotes beer and cigarettes in a dark room. Well, they have the dark room part right! Let's rename it, still have the cute little sailor doggy on the sign, do some food sampling for pax walking by (that's how we were enticed), give it a try, and enjoy the unparalleled service and fabulous food! Then I bet you book it at least once every cruise.

Thanks for sharing your experience, we avoided it on the Ruby in January after having a less than satisfactory experience at Share and unfortunately the concept will not be available when we are on the Regal in a couple of weeks..

Glad you liked the food. "Gastropub" is a term coined in London to indicate a high-end dining pub. The term is well used in Europe. It derives from the word "gastronomy," which means "eating well." "Salty Dog" is an old term for a sailor. I don't think that Princess was thinking primarily about what Americans might think when they named the place. They named it something British, which is what it's supposed to be. I doubt that the name of the place is the reason some people might not eat there. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the upcharge (and the uncomfortable-looking furniture.)

Thanks as well for this review. We are going to spend four weeks on the Emerald in August and are very much looking forward to trying the Salty Dog as well as the better selection of draft beer and whisky (nearby).

Although we are American, the name doesn't throw us as we were fortunate that before retirement my job sent us to the UK quite a bit. Pub to us means sitting down at the end of the day with good drinks, friendly people, good pub-grub and good times.

Edited by beg3yrs

I don't have any issues with the name. What an odd thought.

I too don't have any issue with the name but I don't think it is odd that others do.

What's odd to one is normal to the next person. Everybody views the world through the lens of their own experiences, culture and upbringing.

Shredie is right about the uncomfortable looking furniture.

I tried the bar stool type chairs, in order to help me decide whether to book there, or not.

When sitting on the bar stool type chairs, I felt like I would slide off. I had to hold myself in place, with my feet on the foot rest. The seat seems to be tilted downward and forward. As if to dump you out. As one of my old bosses used to say: don't get too comfortable!!! Not good!

Also, I do not like the way that people leaving the Princess Theater exit through the Salty Dog. Not nice, when trying to eat.

I did not make a reservation.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I do, however, think that the name of the venue has turned people off. That's the only thing I can think of because no one blinks an eye when paying the uncharge at the specialty restaurants.

I don't think there's anything whatsoever wrong with the name and I don't blink an eye at paying the supplement at the specialty restaurants, but there's no way I'll be going to the Salty Dog. When I pay an upcharge for Crown Grill or wherever, I'm seated on a comfortable chair in a dedicated restaurant, not perched on an uncomfortable stool in what is effectively part of an at times noisy bar. I'd suggest its those factors which are a turnoff for a lot of us, rather than the name.

on my last cruise The Salty Dog was rarely ever serving more than 2 tables, and often both would be ship's officers.

I thought the food was among the best (certainly the most... original? experimental?) I've ever had at sea, and the drinks were a nice change from the somewhat staid cocktails often served onboard.

I love the place. The fact that you can also watch the guitarist from your table just ices the cake.

Truly, the furniture is the only part I did not like, and I found even that tolerable.

If you want to take a look at some pictures of the menu, food, (and chairs) I have a review under my signature.

Thanks for that. Your pictures and comments tell it all. Very informative.

The Salty Dog name doesn't bother me in the least....in fact I kind of like it. We had a pub lunch one day in the Wheelhouse Lounge and sat at the new SD furniture and found it comfortable enough.

I don't think there's anything whatsoever wrong with the name and I don't blink an eye at paying the supplement at the specialty restaurants, but there's no way I'll be going to the Salty Dog. When I pay an upcharge for Crown Grill or wherever, I'm seated on a comfortable chair in a dedicated restaurant, not perched on an uncomfortable stool in what is effectively part of an at times noisy bar. I'd suggest its those factors which are a turnoff for a lot of us, rather than the name.

I feel the same way and putting it in the middle of the nautical themed Wheelhouse Bar is completely out of place to me. It's nothing that interests me & even if the food is good for a little bit more I'll also go to a specialty restaurant. Recently on the Crown whenever I saw the Wheelhouse Bar there were at most only a couple of passengers at the Salty Dog.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you want to take a look at some pictures of the menu, food, (and chairs) I have a review under my signature.

Thank you for posting this review Deb. From other comments I have read on CC I had a real misconception of what the Salty Dog was like. I think we might try it after reading your review.

I'd like to try it. So far most of the complaints are about bar stools.

As far as the name, it seems plenty appropriate - “Salty Dog” is nautical slang for an experienced sailor who has spent much of his life aboard a ship at sea.

Thank you for posting this review Deb. From other comments I have read on CC I had a real misconception of what the Salty Dog was like. I think we might try it after reading your review.

Everything once I say. Being the only ones there we certainly got more attentive service than during any of our Crown Grill visits.

Thanks for your review of the Salty Dog. Personally, I don't have a problem with the name or the concept. What I don't like about the Salty Dog (on the Ruby Princess) is how they chopped the nautically themed Wheelhouse Bar in half, and placed these tacky, uncomfortable high tables right in the middle of the room. If Princess would move the Salty Dog over to the starboard alcove, and keep it in the same theme as the rest of the room, I would have no problem with it.

My wife and I were on a 7-day cruise on the Crown Princess, last week. On two days we planned to have dinner at the Salty Dog. On both of those two days, we were distracted by other activities, and, so, we never did try it. (Our daily plans on cruises are often extemporized.)

Personally, the Salty Dog concept, on the surface, does not win me over. However, there is no upside to pre-judging any new experience. We were just having too much fun with new friends on the two nights we had "pencilled in" the Salty Dog concept.

That being said, I admire Princess for trying new things and giving me one more option for my cruise experience.

The report that the OP gives on the hamburger made my mouth drool. I'm now sorry that we missed it. When I do try the Salty Dog, I see no reason to pick three entrees. I know that's what the menu says, and I know that's what the server will expect, but it's my cruise, and I can just say, "No." We dine a lot in Sabatini's and, more often than not, my wife will order a second appetizer instead of an entree. :)

Here's the funny thing, though. On returning home, I, of course, received the e-mail from Princess asking me to complete the electronic survey. I, in fact, did that on Sunday. After going through the survey commenting on likes and dislikes, praising exceptional crew members, entering the demographic data and thinking that I was done, there was a coda to the survey. There were five or six pages of questions specific to the Salty Dog.

--Did I try it?

--If not, why not?

--If so, did I like it?

You get the drift.

Anyway, my guess is that the Salty Dog specifics on the survey indicate that Princess is disappointed with the response. Good for them if they are trying to "fine tune" the concept.

I And #2, Pub to me connotes beer and cigarettes in a dark room.

Thankfully, mainly due to the smoking ban years ago, pubs have changed enormously. Many have fabulous food. There are still the "real ale" pubs and there has been an upsurge in small local micro breweries.

Enjoy trying new ones.