Norwegian Fjords in May from Southampton?

alsa

Has anyone done the Norwegian Fjords from Southampton in May? We are considering it but wondering what the weather will be like (28th May) and what the age range will be on board? We have only ever done the Med or Caribbean :confused:and wonder if we will like doing a 'cold' cruise. Also worried if the water will be rough? The ship is the Emerald Princess.

We did that one two years ago. Packed for 'cold' and didn't need it - not warm sitting outside on ship but no need for the skiing underwear. Having said that, we went on two excursions that took us up over the snow line and we needed hats, gloves and scarves. I think you should really pack for layering with some good outer wear if you are going up - the train at Flam for instance. In Bergen we went up the cable car and sat outside the cafe at the top in bright and warm sunshine, so you never know. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did that one two years ago. Packed for 'cold' and didn't need it - not warm sitting outside on ship but no need for the skiing underwear. Having said that, we went on two excursions that took us up over the snow line and we needed hats, gloves and scarves. I think you should really pack for layering with some good outer wear if you are going up - the train at Flam for instance. In Bergen we went up the cable car and sat outside the cafe at the top in bright and warm sunshine, so you never know. Enjoy!!

Are the cars of the Flam train heated?

I am writing this on board the Viking Star in beautiful, sunny Stavanger, but yesterday we were with the Eclipse in rainy Flam, and also on Monday in windy, rainy Bergen! Not especially cold however.

I know weather is in the hands of the Gods, but I think visiting this region a few weeks later as you plan, might be a good idea :)

Oh, and I was seasick when we left Bergen headed for Flam, so yes it was a bit rough, but I'm easily affected by motion! It was a first for many years though.

Edited by mrsgoggins
extra information

We did it in early May last year. A great 7 day cruise. Wether started very wet (Bergen) but got dryer (but not dry) as the week went on.

North Sea was like a mill pond - but of course it can vary! Demography was much older than on a Med cruise in September.

Stuart

We've been very lucky with the weather and seas visiting Norway. Previously, we have sailed the first week in June (late Whit week due to Queen's Jubilee) and the weather was good - both visits to Bergen have provided sun, with an odd shower. You will need to layer, which we did even in July. The seas were calm and we continued up to Iceland, however, our friends went the week before our sailing and had awful weather and choppy seas - you can't predict what it will be like.

There is usually an older demography on the Northern European sailings, even in high season.

My DH and I have this cruised booked on the Eclipse for eight days in an aft suite. Our feeling is that we will remain warm inside our cabin if the weather is not pleasant, but still be able to see the surrounding area. This year we are once again doing Alaska, leaving on the 20 from Seward, after a short 3 day tour. Onboard, we plan to book another cruise just in case the cold reminds us too much of winter and we prefer a little warmer cruise. Strange that these are our thoughts, as we were the very first to book this cruise(Norwegian Fjords with Celebrity) for 2017 last November. I am not sure what your decision will be, but the weather is always unpredictable; just look at the poor job any meteorologist does...:eek: this year has been very wet, so maybe 2017 will be dryer, although it is anyone's guess.

Edited by Lastdance

We did a 10 day Norwegian fjord cruise late May four years ago, packed for cold weather and it was 80F plus every single day except for Bergen at the end. That was obviously a freak pattern of weather, but we hadn't packed anything for warm weather (forecast was totally wrong).

I'd take plenty of layers and pack for every possibility.

Personally I think late May is just about the best time - chance of decent weather, fewer tourists and still plenty of snow melting and filling the waterfalls.

Did it twice in May (with Cunard), 7 days and 14 days. We were also in Oslo for a couple of days on Silhouette last week.

Weather depends a lot on how far north you go. One of ours went right around the top of Norway and we had everything from beautiful warm sunshine to snow, both within half a day. Take plenty of layers and you'll not go far wrong. As an example of how difficult it is to predict, Bergen has 320 days a year of rain but on both of our visits it was warm and dry enough to wear a tee shirt.

The North Sea has been trouble free on all three trips. It could be totally different next time. But if you are used to doing the Med from Southampton then you're used to crossing the Bay of Biscay. Assume the North Sea to be as easy or as difficult as that.

Has anyone done the Norwegian Fjords from Southampton in May? We are considering it but wondering what the weather will be like (28th May) and what the age range will be on board? We have only ever done the Med or Caribbean :confused:and wonder if we will like doing a 'cold' cruise. Also worried if the water will be rough? The ship is the Emerald Princess.

As the weather data below shows for the nearby Baltics, your averages and "odds" are not as good in Norway compared to better months such as late June and July. Are you a gambler?

As detailed in my live/blog below, we super enjoyed our weather in July. Is there a special reason or need to do this sailing in late May? Maybe you save just a little, but is it really worth it to risk weather that is not as good and/or ideal? Below are three of my many pictures to show how wonderful Bergen can be when the weather is good.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 6, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 48 °F last year with a low of 38 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 42 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2006) and a low of 35 °F (1997) on this date in Bergen.

As an example for June 29, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 64 °F last year with a low of 52 °F, with an average high on this date of 61 °F with an average low of 51°F. During recent history, the high has been 68 °F (2003) and a low of 44 °F (2007) on this date in Bergen.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these two key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,890 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

As always, Terry, your pictures and advice are excellent. Having said that, we have an S1 on the Eclipse on April 30, 2017. My DH thinks it will be just fine, even on the Safari boats. Of course, he loves cold weather and rain doesn't bother him at all. I would rather it not rain and be sunny. Oh well, we will certainly find out. Maybe we will fly to Milan and enjoy the milder weather of Cinque Terre, after the cruise. :cool: That way, we can both win!

We did Norway three years ago the first week of June and had sunny days and rainy days on one of the best cruises ever. The rain never kept us away from the sightseeing or the train to Flam. I cannot remember if it was heated or not though, sorry. I traveled with my then 27 year old daughter and she was one of the youngest passengers onboard. We traveled Celebrity and there just weren't many young people around. Hope this helps your planning!

We did this cruise in 2015, earlier part of May from what I recall.

Generally it wasn't that cold but it did rain a lot.

I do remember people sunbathing on a couple of days so it must have been OK at times.

Lovely cruise though, whatever the weather.