Just back from the Danube!

acwmom

Wow, wow, wow! I know I've never see a bluer sky in a photo! Those are amazing!

Let me be the first to say Thank you, Robin!

I've so enjoyed following along.

We don't leave for a month so when I do my final planning you (& JP too!) will probably hear from me again!

Chris

Robin, thanks again for posting. Great photos and it really looks like you squeezed a lot of fun stuff into your trip. You seem to travel like we do. Hope you had some time to rest up at work when you got home! :p

I completely agree with you that a land trip is so easy to arrange on your own. Whether traveling by train or rental car, it's been so easy. River cruising is great and all, and we'll continue to do it from time to time, but a land-based trip is a more immersive experience in many ways.

We have experienced Greenland from ground level a few times (scenic cruising, as well as landing there for day hikes). It is an amazing landscape, and a very cool place to fly over. Like you, we always try for a window seat when we know our flight path will cross over and we take pictures too. I am such a map nerd that I've matched up my pictures to Google Earth to figure out where the plane was. Some day I want to visit there on an adventure ship.

Chris, we have done three land-based trips to Germany and surrounding areas. I did full trip reports but I did not put them here as they were not cruises. Those blogs are on a different website, travelpod. There is a link to one of them in my signature - on the line for the 2013 canceled cruise. Once you get to that blog you should be able to find links to our other two trips. My username on travelpod is the same as it is here.

Robin, thanks again for posting. Great photos and it really looks like you squeezed a lot of fun stuff into your trip. You seem to travel like we do. Hope you had some time to rest up at work when you got home! :p

I completely agree with you that a land trip is so easy to arrange on your own. Whether traveling by train or rental car, it's been so easy. River cruising is great and all, and we'll continue to do it from time to time, but a land-based trip is a more immersive experience in many ways.

We have experienced Greenland from ground level a few times (scenic cruising, as well as landing there for day hikes). It is an amazing landscape, and a very cool place to fly over. Like you, we always try for a window seat when we know our flight path will cross over and we take pictures too. I am such a map nerd that I've matched up my pictures to Google Earth to figure out where the plane was. Some day I want to visit there on an adventure ship.

Chris, we have done three land-based trips to Germany and surrounding areas. I did full trip reports but I did not put them here as they were not cruises. Those blogs are on a different website, travelpod. There is a link to one of them in my signature - on the line for the 2013 canceled cruise. Once you get to that blog you should be able to find links to our other two trips. My username on travelpod is the same as it is here.

JP,

We do want to do a Rhine Cruise, but we also want to do a more extended land based trip to Germany/Austria, and a train based tour around Switzerland, including the Glacier Express. Oh, and the BelgianBeerMe tour, the Norwegian Fjords....these should keep us busy for years to come!

Robin

Eating our last breakfast in Munich. Absolutely loved Munich. Hated the location of our hotel. Under no circumstances choose a property near the train station. More when I return.

Munich is great; you must be sad to leave.

I was worried about our hotel (Sofitel Bayerpost) on our first visit to Munich, as we could look out our window and see all the train tracks below. The hotel is right at the Hauptbahnhof. But they must have had great soundproofing because noise was never an issue for us. Sorry to hear that there were issues with your stay.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip! Safe journey home.

Eating our last breakfast in Munich. Absolutely loved Munich. Hated the location of our hotel. Under no circumstances choose a property near the train station. More when I return.

I initially had booked a hotel near the train station, then, after speaking to a friend who travels to Munich several times a year, made a new reservation at our hotel near the Marienplatz. Small, family run, fresh breakfast each morning-amazing homemade chocolate croissants! We couldn't have asked for a more convenient location.

(We also considered a hotel near Nymphenburg, and am glad we decided against that one-too far out)

I was worried about our hotel (Sofitel Bayerpost) on our first visit to Munich, as we could look out our window and see all the train tracks below. The hotel is right at the Hauptbahnhof.

We have stayed there quite a few times and really enjoy the hotel, the location, the rooms and the service. It is our 1st choice for Munich.

We have stayed there quite a few times and really enjoy the hotel, the location, the rooms and the service. It is our 1st choice for Munich.

We were dismayed to be bothered by several beggars, several mutilated constantly. These beggars seem to be from the Middle East. The immediate area is seedy. Easy walk to Marienplatz yes, but one had to walk these 6 blocks to get there. I think the area closer to the opera house and Residence would be a better location. Jmo

Edited by Got2Cruise

The immediate area is seedy. Easy walk to Marienplatz yes, but one had to walk these 6 blocks to get there. I think the area closer to the opera house and Residence would be a better location. Jmo

You have a point here. I remember feeling the same way when we first walked that stretch between the Hbf and Karlsplatz. It is seedy, compared to the rest of the touristy parts of town. Had forgotten this part of our stay...but I remember thinking that if this is Munich...yuck!

Once you get to Karlsplatz, duck into the U-Bahn station to cross (much easier) and then you're at the gate, on a nice pedestrian street, and into the nice part of town. Seedy part forgotten. :)

The last two visits, we stayed at the Charles Hotel. A few blocks north of the Hbf, and a different route to the Altstadt. You walk along the edge of the Alter Botanischer Garten. Some seediness there too, but not as bad.

Edited by jpalbny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robin or JP,

In Durnstein we would like to hike to the ruins but I can't seem to find a map that shows where the hike starts. I emailed Durnstein but have not heard back.

I'd like to know where it starts from both ends in case we do the included tour and then try to hoof it up there quickly or skip the tour and take the informative way up!

I did a google map of Dustein to the ruins, but I'm not sure that is the actual way to go.

Do I need a map? Will it be obvious?

Thanks,

Chris

Walk through the gate into old town. First right, almost immediately after you enter, will be a steep climbing street. It's small and looks like a driveway. Take it and keep climbing. IIRC there will be a sign where the trail to the ruins branches off, a few minutes from there. It's very obvious.

There is one street in town. The way to the ruins (Ruinenweg) intersects the main street twice. Once at each end of town. It's called Am Bergl on the far side of town. We found it easily.

I can send a map but not now...hard to do from my phone.

Edited by jpalbny

No. Avalon.

Knowing me, I'll try to do the tour and then hike to the ruins...wish me luck!

Chris

When we were there Avalon was docked right in town while AMA was docked one town over. You should have plenty of time. We had a wine tasting and I think the Avalon folks had one too. Don't miss that.

Hi Robin or JP,

In Durnstein we would like to hike to the ruins but I can't seem to find a map that shows where the hike starts. I emailed Durnstein but have not heard back.

I'd like to know where it starts from both ends in case we do the included tour and then try to hoof it up there quickly or skip the tour and take the informative way up!

I did a google map of Dustein to the ruins, but I'm not sure that is the actual way to go.

Do I need a map? Will it be obvious?

Thanks,

Chris

As you're looking toward the castle from the river, like JP mentioned, the more civilized route will start on the right, just through the gate. I recommend this as the way up, as it has several signs along the way, which explain the history of the castle and Richard the Lionheart's imprisonment. The other route is much better for the downward trip, and starts near the "market" area just outside the castle ruins (ruins from a market, you'll see when you get there)

Here's the street to look for, and the sidewalk at the end:

28135087093_01452d2e59_z.jpg

28132894984_e42edc4745_z.jpg

We always stay at either Sofitel or Le Meridien, right at the Hauptbahnof. Will do so again as we enjoy both hotels and find the location to be very convenient.

Edited by caviargal

We always stay at either Sofitel or Le Meridien, right at the Hauptbahnof. Will do so again as we enjoy both hotels and find the location to be very convenient.

The location might be convenient for using public transportation or cabs, but to walk to old town one must walk six blocks through a very seedy area of town. We were met by beggars every three feet. Several of these beggars were mutilated with their limbs blown off. Also, the vast majority of the patrons of the LeMeriden followed Sharia law. I felt uncomfortable sitting in the lobby as the only woman wearing western dress. Jmo

The location might be convenient for using public transportation or cabs, but to walk to old town one must walk six blocks through a very seedy area of town. We were met by beggars every three feet. Several of these beggars were mutilated with their limbs blown off. Also, the vast majority of the patrons of the LeMeriden followed Sharia law. I felt uncomfortable sitting in the lobby as the only woman wearing western dress. Jmo

That is different from our experience but we have stayed at Sofitel the past three visits. The area was not the prettiest but we never felt uncomfortable.

In October we are flying into Munich but heading straight to Salzburg for three days.

Thanks for your comments.

I initially had booked a hotel near the train station, then, after speaking to a friend who travels to Munich several times a year, made a new reservation at our hotel near the Marienplatz. Small, family run, fresh breakfast each morning-amazing homemade chocolate croissants! We couldn't have asked for a more convenient location.

(We also considered a hotel near Nymphenburg, and am glad we decided against that one-too far out)

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel you ended up staying at in Munich? We've booked a hotel out near Nymphenburg but with only 2 nights in Munich post cruise, I think we'd rather be in town near the Marienplatz rather than wasting time on the tram.

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel you ended up staying at in Munich? We've booked a hotel out near Nymphenburg but with only 2 nights in Munich post cruise, I think we'd rather be in town near the Marienplatz rather than wasting time on the tram.

Not at all. We stayed at the Hotel Schlicker. I would highly discourage a "street view room". Very small, and very loud. Pay a little extra and go for the courtyard view. Still very reasonably priced for the location.

Have a wonderful trip!

Robin

Not at all. We stayed at the Hotel Schlicker. I would highly discourage a "street view room". Very small, and very loud. Pay a little extra and go for the courtyard view. Still very reasonably priced for the location.

Have a wonderful trip!

Robin

Thanks for the recommendation - unfortunately there is a major congress during our time in Munich and no availability:(