Random questions about Britannia Norwegian Fjords cruise

kfowinst

We’re looking forward to our upcoming cruise on Britannia to the Norwegian Fjords. Our family has cruised many times before but never with P&O; I’m hoping we love it because cruising out of Southampton is very convenient.

I’ve done lots of research already, but I’ve got some random questions I hope P&O regulars might be able to help with please…

• Can you purchase duty free spirits on board? We usually pick up gin, vodka, Cointreau and Kahlua to take home. Are prices comparable with US lines?

• Approx. how much is a spa session (pool, steam room etc.) and how do you go about booking? I booked a manicure on the CP but there’s no option for the actual spa. Is it possible to book a single day on board? Where do I need to go to do it? Like many people we have a late boarding time of 3pm and will have to rush to register at the kids facility before muster, so doubt I’ll have time to do it straight away.

• Are the pools cold? I’m guessing there’s no point packing my costume if they are cold, as there are only 2 hot tubs on the ship so I doubt I’ll get to use it!

• When do formal nights tend to fall on 7 night cruise? (day 2 and 7 are sea days so I would guess on these days)

• Which is the best bar for cocktails? I’ll only have a couple of nights off from childcare, so I don’t want to waste my pass on sub-par cocktails! We’re booked to eat at Sindhu one night – is the bar worth visiting for an aperitif?

Thank you in advance.

I must say, so far I’m impressed by complimentary night nursery and child fares, the drinks prices and in cabin alcohol policy – in comparison to the US-based lines…. and I haven’t even sailed yet!

ooh one further question, do you get a dressing gown in the cabin (like Celebrity provide). Thinking of packing my dressing gown for outdoor hot-tubs (anticipating Norway to be cold). It's heavy and takes up a lot of space, so wondering if I need it

Unless you have booked a suite, you don't get dressing gowns or slippers etc.

We are also going a fjords cruise in July, I asked about formal nights as its our silver wedding anniversary and was told that they didn't have that information yet but the lady expected it to be the first sea day and the Wednesday as we are leaving port early afternoon.

When we went on Ventura last year, the pools were not cold but cool, not sure what to expect on this cruise.

Yes you can buy duty free but not sure on how the price compare to US lines, I guess they are slightly cheaper as the drinks also seem to be cheaper on P&O than other US lines seem to be.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Yes you can buy duty free onboard and it will be available for you to pack just before disembarkation. I regret I dont know about US price comparisons, but when tesco do a litre of Bacardi at £15, I dont think duty free is much cheaper. The Cointreau and Kahlua might not be available....the duty free shops for alcohol and tobacco are not very big. If you wish to buy spirits to enjoy on board, order through the room service tariff. As you are going to Norway.....dont even THINK about purchasing anything on land!!! :eek:

You are correct for the days of formals (as far as I can remember, we did this cruise on Oceana a couple of years ago} but they can be moveable feasts.

Unless I have missed something.....I thought all bars sold the same menu.....I always found the same menu card at all bars, poolside etc.....I just continued working my way through..........

Your children will be well looked after.

"Take time out for yourself and fill your heart with joy!!" :) x

Edited by jasperado

We were on the Britannia cruise to Norway last week, our formal nights were the first sea day, and the last port day Stravanger.

The last sea day tends not to be a formal night as it makes packing suits and dresses a bit more difficult for many people, it is easier if this is casual clothing.Altnough this is not a hard and fast rule as sea conditions can change this.

The Crowsnest is the best for cocktails, at the front of the ship with great views as you travel. It is worth going to if to are travelling to Flåm as you transit the 7hr long journey down the fjord.

The pools are heated, the worst bit is getting out afterwards.

• Approx. how much is a spa session (pool, steam room etc.) and how do you go about booking? I booked a manicure on the CP but there’s no option for the actual spa. Is it possible to book a single day on board? Where do I need to go to do it? Like many people we have a late boarding time of 3pm and will have to rush to register at the kids facility before muster, so doubt I’ll have time to do it straight away.

You book spa sessions at the spa reception, which is off the Atrium on Deck 5. If you want to book a full day spa package, which includes a couple of treatments, a day pass to the Retreat, exercise classes and use of the hydrotherapy suite, these start from £200 and can be booked in advance. by phoning P&O. I found that some prices compared very well with land-based spas (e.g. Champneys - my favourite Elemis hot stone massage was considerably cheaper), but others (manis, pedis, hair) were expensive - possibly because they are the most popular. As the cruise goes on the spa offers special deals and reduce prices, so it might be worth waiting.

• Which is the best bar for cocktails? I’ll only have a couple of nights off from childcare, so I don’t want to waste my pass on sub-par cocktails! We’re booked to eat at Sindhu one night – is the bar worth visiting for an aperitif?

We didn't drink there, but the bar at Sindhu was always full at night and a couple of other passengers told us it was their favourite place for a drink. The cocktail menus do vary from bar to bar in Britannia and waiters will sometimes refuse to serve a cocktail that isn't on "their" menu, likewise if you go off-piste and request a cocktail that isn't part of their standard repertoire, they won't make it (I asked for a "Between the Sheets" and was told no). As has been remarked on other threads on here, P&O are using very short measures and lots of mixers and ice in their cocktails - consequently they are very weak. Had a cocktail in one of our ports and there was no comparison. The best cocktail I had was in the Atrium on the last night - shame I didn't discover it earlier!

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies and information.

Hatters cruisers - the pools are heated?! Wow! I’ve never been on a ship with heated pools before, just a retractable roof. I’m really excited now! I’ll bring my dressing gown then for getting in/out of pools (unfortunately we’re not in a suite or deluxe cabin).

Formals on first sea day and last port day makes much more sense since 2nd sea day is our last day so people will be busy packing. Stavanger is our last stop too.

The prices on US lines for duty free are on average £10 for 1l bottle of quality brands – obviously much more for grey goose etc. Supermarkets tends to sell 70cl for double that although as you say often there are deals on.

Thanks for the tip re: Crows Nest for the Flam sailing - sounds like a lovely place to watch the evening sailing. Will the captain warn us about particularly good scenery so we don’t miss the best views?

Thank you groovechick for the spa information (sounds really reasonable) and the cocktails tips and thanks for the photos Solent Richard. The cocktails are so cheap, I did wonder how strong they would be! That’s disappointing. I read somewhere on P&O that cocktails contain 2 x 25ml measures of spirits. I usually go off piste as I tend to drink classic cocktails that are omitted from the menu or have been ‘messed with’. Good tip for the atrium bar (blue bar?) Celebrity has so far been the top line for well-crafted cocktails. I’ve found most bars on other lines more miss than hit for cocktails and wonder how much training is given – when I find a bartender who makes them well I tend to keep going back and tip well. It takes a lot of practice and skill to make consistently good cocktails.

Of course I will let you know what I think when I get back in June x

I wrote some notes and copy here for others who might be interested....

• Buy spa day packages on board (wait til later in cruise for special deals)
  • Best cocktail bars: Atrium (Blue Bar) Sindhu
  • Best bars for views: Crows Nest and Sunset Bar
  • Formal nights on 1st sea day and penultimate day (7 day Norway)

Groovychick, is it true that pando are using short measures? Isn't that illegal? I know it is to do so under the UK licensing act but do cruise ships operate under different rules?

Perhaps I should have chosen my words more wisely mondas42, I don't want to accuse P&O of illegal activities. What I meant was that I watched the bar tenders making cocktails a time or two - not the show bartending they have on the US lines, I just happened to be loitering near the bar - and the spirit measures they were putting in were scanty. I've done bar work, I know pretty well what a UK spirit measure looks like by eye. By contrast they were heavy handed with the mixers and by the time they'd scooped in a huge shovel full of ice, it was all tail and no cock!

Lol,thanks for the explanation. My brother used to be a landlord so I am aware of what a good cocktail should taste like. I do like your description however of all tail and no cock, made me laugh. [emoji3]

On Britannia top Aft Decks, do watch out for the soot that comes from the funnel. It does seem to rest on the railings and deckchairs. So watch your clothing.

In Norway you usually are able to get a Norwegian Tax refund if you have spent 315NK in a single purchase in one transaction from a 'Tax free shop' and received a Tax free receipt from them. The officials attend the ship for a few hours on one day, for time specified see the daily Horizon.

Britannia Sprits and Liquor, Britannia offers 2 bottles for £20 and 2 for £30 in their liquor sale on board depending on what you select from the Duty free shop.

The Bars on Britannia serve spirits in 25ml for a standard measure (against Cunard which serve 1.5oz nearly 50ml as standard )

Edited by Pennbank

We've just got back but on the Azura. Formal nights were day 2 which is the first sea day and penultimate night. If it is the same system the interactive tv in the room will say which night is which when you board. They do sometimes give them a theme but there is a last on the p&o above centre.

You can book spa days on the cruise personalise but they are expensive upfront and have better deals on board.

As others have said Norway is expensive. As an example two coffees and one danish in Starbucks in Bergen (about all that was opened as we docked on a public holiday so most places were shut) came to about £15.

Buying a spirit on a P&O ship you are served UK standard measure of 25ml and on American ships it is American standard measure of 40ml. With reference to cocktails it is down to the bar steward of size of measures wherever you are in the world and is anyone's guess.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies and information.

Hatters cruisers - the pools are heated?! Wow! I’ve never been on a ship with heated pools before, just a retractable roof. I’m really excited now! I’ll bring my dressing gown then for getting in/out of pools (unfortunately we’re not in a suite or deluxe cabin).

Formals on first sea day and last port day makes much more sense since 2nd sea day is our last day so people will be busy packing. Stavanger is our last stop too.

The prices on US lines for duty free are on average £10 for 1l bottle of quality brands – obviously much more for grey goose etc. Supermarkets tends to sell 70cl for double that although as you say often there are deals on.

Thanks for the tip re: Crows Nest for the Flam sailing - sounds like a lovely place to watch the evening sailing. Will the captain warn us about particularly good scenery so we don’t miss the best views?

Thank you groovechick for the spa information (sounds really reasonable) and the cocktails tips and thanks for the photos Solent Richard. The cocktails are so cheap, I did wonder how strong they would be! That’s disappointing. I read somewhere on P&O that cocktails contain 2 x 25ml measures of spirits. I usually go off piste as I tend to drink classic cocktails that are omitted from the menu or have been ‘messed with’. Good tip for the atrium bar (blue bar?) Celebrity has so far been the top line for well-crafted cocktails. I’ve found most bars on other lines more miss than hit for cocktails and wonder how much training is given – when I find a bartender who makes them well I tend to keep going back and tip well. It takes a lot of practice and skill to make consistently good cocktails.

Of course I will let you know what I think when I get back in June x

The cocktails aren't as good as on NCL - no Aviation

I think the pools are a bit cold, but it never stops my two going in.

Edited by cclarke12

On Britannia top Aft Decks, do watch out for the soot that comes from the funnel. It does seem to rest on the railings and deckchairs. So watch your clothing.

In Norway you usually are able to get a Norwegian Tax refund if you have spent 315NK in a single purchase in one transaction from a 'Tax free shop' and received a Tax free receipt from them. The officials attend the ship for a few hours on one day, for time specified see the daily Horizon.

Britannia Sprits and Liquor, Britannia offers 2 bottles for £20 and 2 for £30 in their liquor sale on board depending on what you select from the Duty free shop.

The Bars on Britannia serve spirits in 25ml for a standard measure (against Cunard which serve 1.5oz nearly 50ml as standard )

Thanks for the warning re: soot and information about spirits

Buying a spirit on a P&O ship you are served UK standard measure of 25ml and on American ships it is American standard measure of 40ml. With reference to cocktails it is down to the bar steward of size of measures wherever you are in the world and is anyone's guess.

On Celebrity we've never seen a barman measure spirits into a cocktail. Usually it involves a long pour that seems to go on for ages. Almost making a show of it. Only had one good cocktail on P&O, the Laverstoke Gin Cocktail in the crows nest.

Groovychick, is it true that pando are using short measures? Isn't that illegal? I know it is to do so under the UK licensing act but do cruise ships operate under different rules?

UK licensing laws don't apply at sea.