?s Re: Coral Princess in AK - Outdoor Viewing Spots/Outdoor Dining, Etc

mlbcruiser

We'll be doing an AK cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage on the Coral Princess in May. Wondering if the Sanctuary would have any good, COVERED outdoor viewing areas? (We have been on the Coral before, but it was yrs. ago and I don't think they had a Sanctuary venue then. Even if they did, normally we don't care about being "away" from the masses on a ship. I'm just thinking it might offer a protected area on a very misty/wet day, or be worth it for less crowded outdoor viewing in Glacier Bay?

Also, we often like to dine in outdoor areas, and I can't recall what the Coral had or may have added in the last 7 yrs. or so. I know temperatures and weather may prohibit any sort of comfortable outdoor dining. But then again, we could get lucky and get weather that is not too cold or windy, in which case breakfast or lunch dining might be fine in an outdoor venue.

Any info. appreciated!

We'll be doing an AK cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage on the Coral Princess in May. Wondering if the Sanctuary would have any good, COVERED outdoor viewing areas? (We have been on the Coral before, but it was yrs. ago and I don't think they had a Sanctuary venue then. Even if they did, normally we don't care about being "away" from the masses on a ship. I'm just thinking it might offer a protected area on a very misty/wet day, or be worth it for less crowded outdoor viewing in Glacier Bay?

Also, we often like to dine in outdoor areas, and I can't recall what the Coral had or may have added in the last 7 yrs. or so. I know temperatures and weather may prohibit any sort of comfortable outdoor dining. But then again, we could get lucky and get weather that is not too cold or windy, in which case breakfast or lunch dining might be fine in an outdoor venue.

Any info. appreciated!

Outdoor tables are located around the Lido pool and one deck up by the bar and grill. There are also tables in the indoor Lotus Pool area. You would have to get your food from the buffet, pizza or grill and carry it to these locations.

Can't answer your sanctuary question, other then pointing out that on the Coral the sanctuary is aft on decks 14 & 15.

From what I can tell, the Sanctuary on the Coral Princess, on the aft of the shop, comes without the cover and wind-break glass that it does on other ships. (Necessary because of the forward location)

It appears that there is limited covered/shaded areas.

Unless I am mistaken, they have 4 covered cabanas on the Island... But still only 2 of these on the upper level of the Sanctuary, which is not covered. The over hang from the upper level does cover/shade the very back of the lower level of the Sanctuary.

By all accounts, especially in May, the temperatures should be rather cool, or even cold when out on water and near glaciers.

Other than dining at the hamburger grill or around the main swimming pool on the Lido Deck, I don't remember any outdoor eating areas on the Coral. The buffet is across the front of the ship, so provides nice views, although indoors.

I did not do Sanctuary so can't comment. There would be excellent viewing from the Promenade deck and there are a lot of teak loungers on this deck so you could sit and enjoy the views, although if there are lots of good sights my guess is that others could be standing in front of you along the railing.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Here are a few photos of the Sanctuary on the Coral Princess. As others have mentioned there is not much cover there. It is a narrow area covering two levels all the way aft. There are a few cabanas and an overhang that provides some cover, but for the most part the Sanctuary on the Coral is uncovered:

7375238684_0f7656845e_z.jpg

7190023217_9c62bd95e9_z.jpg

7190018215_99c30ae0f1_z.jpg

7390913670_958bb3fb4d_z.jpg

7375240718_f66d6da403_z.jpg

We were on the Coral in Alaska last summer. Our cabin was on the Caribe deck. Unless they have made changes to the ship, there is an area that is covered with a few seats at the way back of the ship on Caribe deck. It is covered. We could hear the naturalists announcements over the speaker system and it was easy to check out scenery or wildlife on both sides of the ship. It was also much less windy there than it was on our balcony.

Deck 7 promenade deck is covered and is a great site for viewing. I prefer the lower perspective for viewing and it is not as crowded! You can easily go from side to side, front to back.

The front and aft decks are also excellent for viewing. Front deck can be cold so be prepared. Do a search on how to get to that area as it is below the bridge.

Edited by Coral

Thank you Jasperdo for those pics.

I have two questions that I just can not find answers to. And I am hoping that finally somebody will come forward and help.

1. In that third photo, the top level of the Sanctuary, It appears that there are people up there, above, looking right down over guest who are paying for a more peaceful and private area. What level is this, and how did they get there? I don't know if I would be comfortable paying for the sanctuary with other random guests up there just looking down and perusing over us.

2. Can anyone confirm that there are restroom facilities available for sanctuary guests. From some very confusing comments that I have read, it seems that even the main open changing room at the Spa does not have restrooms... I just have to wonder if one would have to leave the Sanctuary, walk all the way thru the Spa, and out onto the open public pool deck to access facilities.

With this crazy weather we are having here... Dogwood Winter... it is almost the same chilly temperature as it is in Alaska!!! So, I am not counting on enjoying the Sanctuary unless it is a good bit warmer. But, this information might be helpful for future cruisers, who may be sailing when and where it is warmer than Alaska, in May.

Bbbbrrrr!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

I have two questions that I just can not find answers to. And I am hoping that finally somebody will come forward and help.

1. In that third photo, the top level of the Sanctuary, It appears that there are people up there, above, looking right down over guest who are paying for a more peaceful and private area. What level is this, and how did they get there? I don't know if I would be comfortable paying for the sanctuary with other random guests up there just looking down and perusing over us.

The aft end of Deck 16, the sports area, overlooks the Santuary and is open to anyone. The basketball area is there so you could have some noise from that but in May you shouldn't have many, if any, kids.

2. Can anyone confirm that there are restroom facilities available for sanctuary guests. From some very confusing comments that I have read, it seems that even the main open changing room at the Spa does not have restrooms... I just have to wonder if one would have to leave the Sanctuary, walk all the way thru the Spa, and out onto the open public pool deck to access facilities.

shsce750 answered your first question. Here's a photo of the basketball court. The railing you see in the back right corner of the photo (passed the netting) is the same one in photo three. And yes, it is open to the public. I can't help you with the second question since I didn't use the Sanctuary. But according to the ship's deck plans, they don't show a restroom in the Spa, only changing rooms. Maybe the restrooms are in there?

7189990079_91ca2b437a_z.jpg

EDIT: I found another photo that shows the railing better. The Sanctuary is right below there:

7189988501_f519508ede_z.jpg

Edited by Jasperdo

Thanks for all the info. and pictures! Don't think we'll care about hanging out in the Sanctuary. (I like the pads on the chairs, though, lol!) We'll just have to try to find a good viewing spot when the need arrises, I guess. I recall being in the front of the ship for part of our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Prncess years ago and yes, people were all crowded up up there, but after a while things thinned out. Weather does worry me a bit, but it will be what it will be so it's just a make the best of it situation. Thanks again everyone!

PS: I am now seeing a small single uni-sex restroom behind/aft the Women's Change in the fitness spa area. Perhaps one of the post that I am remembering was by a guy, who may not have noticed this, and did not realize it was there.

Thanks SO much everyone.

If you are wondering about which spot in the Sanctuary. Many times in Alaska it is just too chilly or rainy, as most of the Coral Sanctuary is uncovered. Especially while on the water at the Glaciers.

If you are interested, especially for these glacier viewing days, it has been suggested that one go to the Sanctuary ASAP when you board. These can not be booked before boarding. (Unless there are those who are staying on the ship after a Northbound on a Back-to-Back... And they will have first dibs) The staff will show you around, and let you let you pick which available loungers look best to you.

Here is what I found off the website:

Scenic Sanctuary Packages* have been created in order to provide guests with a unique “scenic experience.” This whole day package will be offered on those itineraries with scenic locations, such as: Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, College Fjord, Panama Canal, Suez Canal, etc.

This scenic sanctuary package is charged per person and offerings will be based on the climate of the itinerary in addition to the regular menu.

Thanks for all the info. and pictures! Don't think we'll care about hanging out in the Sanctuary. (I like the pads on the chairs, though, lol!) We'll just have to try to find a good viewing spot when the need arrises, I guess. I recall being in the front of the ship for part of our Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Prncess years ago and yes, people were all crowded up up there, but after a while things thinned out. Weather does worry me a bit, but it will be what it will be so it's just a make the best of it situation. Thanks again everyone!
An alternative to the Sanctuary would be the little known area all the way aft on Baja and Caribe decks. It is hardly ever busy, and has a lot of cover. Just head all the way aft along the cabin hallway on either deck any you'll find this:

8649517226_0be78b3515_z.jpg

8648407659_414000cc23_z.jpg

8649513070_168b1e3cc8_z.jpg

Thanks, Jasperdo! Looks like a super place to while away some time and have a nice view. IF there aren't a bunch of cruisers already in the chairs or lining the rails. Maybe we'll get lucky once in a while. Very heipful info and pix!