Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

It is an automatic program that someone can elect to opt out of. Poor service is certainly one reason one may want to, but it is not the only reason.

And that's the problem, isn't it? When someone is given the option to affirm their "It's all about me" attitude and "who cares about others" attitude, it's ultimately the hard working staff as well as tip paying cruisers (paying higher cruise prices) who will suffer!

I think it's crappy to remove them but let's not play word games. It is optional. If it wasn't they wouldn't allow them to be removed. If they wanted to make it mandatory they could make it a service charge but they chose not to.

By calling it tipping it is and will always be optional.

Words are important, and you, yourself, are "playing word games" by insisting on using the word "optional." That's not a word Royal Caribbean uses, and there are different connotations to different words. Earlier, someone was trying to play word games by saying that, because RC "allows" people to remove the gratuities, that they "approve" of people doing so. Word games. You are playing them, while at the same time trying to say, "let's not play them."

And no, I don't want to control what people do. Yes, I think they should leave them on. Arguing for keeping them on is not trying to control people. I guess what you really mean is that you don't like it when people don't agree with you. People are free to follow their own conscience. I have no power over what people do.

As far as me not liking if people don't agree with me; I could not care less if they agree with me. I haven't stated a position on what anyone should do with their money. Not my business. I've only advocated for giving completely honest and transparent information. Do you mean to tell me you also advocate for giving honest information and allowing people to decide?

Words are important, and you, yourself, are "playing word games" by insisting on using the word "optional." That's not a word Royal Caribbean uses, and there are different connotations to different words. Earlier, someone was trying to play word games by saying that, because RC "allows" people to remove the gratuities, that they "approve" of people doing so. Word games. You are playing them, while at the same time trying to say, "let's not play them."

Being able to change something at discretion seems synonymous with optional to me. No need to use multiple words with similar meanings to describe the same things. The gratuities on Royal Caribbean are automatic opt in / manual opt out. It is optional in the sense that it requires making further choices to remove them. Making no further choices leaves you opted in. As far as I can tell there is no threshold or barrier to surpass in order to exercise your option (discretion).

Am I misunderstanding?

I'm not trying to play word games, I'm trying to have a discussion where all participants agree on the meanings and definitions. If people have different understandings then we all just talk past one another.

No need to use multiple words with similar meanings to describe the same things. The gratuities on Royal Caribbean are automatic opt in / manual opt out. It is optional in the sense that it requires making further choices to remove them. Making no further choices leaves you opted in. As far as I can tell there is no threshold or barrier to surpass in order to exercise your option (discretion).

Am I misunderstanding?

I'm not trying to play word games, I'm trying to have a discussion where all participants agree on the meanings and definitions. If people have different understandings then we all just talk past one another.

Yes, you are misunderstanding different words have different meanings, and if you can't understand the subtleties, you lose a lot of understanding.

For example, paying for your dinner at a restaurant could be considered "optional" in some cases, because many places, if you complain about not being happy with the meal, you don't have to pay. But saying that payment is optional doesn't really convey the right connotation in that case. I'm not saying gratuities on RC are the same as that, but I think calling them optional similarly fails to convey the right connotation.

What does RCI say?:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting the Guest Services desk during their cruise. Guests can make modifications to the daily charge up until the morning of departure from the cruise. Guests who prepaid gratuities are not able to modify while onboard, but can contact Royal Caribbean or their travel agent post-cruise to request any modifications."

You will not find the word OPTIONAL, because that is not the idea they intend to convey. Someone can treat it as optional, even though the intent is different, but that's taking advantage of the system, not using it as intended.

Edited by Paul65

Yes, you are misunderstanding different words have different meanings, and if you can't understand the subtleties, you lose a lot of understanding.

For example, paying for your dinner at a restaurant could be considered "optional" in some cases, because many places, if you complain about not being happy with the meal, you don't have to pay. But saying that payment is optional doesn't really convey the right connotation in that case. I'm not saying gratuities on RC are the same as that, but I think calling them optional similarly fails to convey the right connotation.

What does RCI say?:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting the Guest Services desk during their cruise. Guests can make modifications to the daily charge up until the morning of departure from the cruise. Guests who prepaid gratuities are not able to modify while onboard, but can contact Royal Caribbean or their travel agent post-cruise to request any modifications."

You will not find the word OPTIONAL, because that is not the idea they intend to convey. Someone can treat it as optional, even though the intent is different, but that's taking advantage of the system, not using it as intended.

If you read all my posts here I think I've done a fine job accurately conveying what is allowed and under what conditions, while also not preaching to anyone about what they should or should not do.

If you read all my posts here I think I've done a fine job accurately conveying what is allowed and under what conditions, while also not preaching to anyone about what they should or should not do.

Good for you. Pretty much a non sequitur in response to my post, but good for you.

If you see tipping as optional in a "serving or service" based industry, you are clearly not from the USA?

The percentage of people who remove there auto grats is around 1-4% depending on the sailing. There is indeed a list printed off of people who have opted out, and the staff is made aware. I've seen it actually, having known someone who works on a RCCL ship.

So yes, it IS shady because those tips are part of people's wage whom you will never even come into contact with on the ship. By removing them you take away part of their wage.

The whole reasoning behind doing the auto grats was because of people like yourself who stiffed their staff on "voluntary" tips that they depend on.

It is a way to be able to pay the staff more.. And not just the customer facing staff.

It's a crock. It's just another scam for organizations to improve their bottom line, so these cruise CEOs can get their bonuses, funded off the backs of both the customer and underpaid staff.

Hello

Our first time on RCI and we are wondering if it is possible (as we did on our on Holland America cruise) to remove the daily gratuities and pay cash at the end of our short sampler cruise? If it is possible, what currency is appreciated by the staff.

Thankyou

Nell

And make sure, cheapo, that you go into the kitchen and tip the cooks and the dishwashers who work 12 hours a day preparing your food

I highly doubt these people who remove tips tip at all. They give all kinds of reasons to remove and say they will tip more! Lol! I don't believe it. They are just cheap. You want to show appreciation? Leave the auto tips in place and tip in cash on top of that to those you especially appreciate. The auto tips you pay are nothing on top of the price of the cruise. Share your good fortune to be able to cruise with those who work so hard to make your vacation an enjoyable one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Amen

And make sure, cheapo, that you go into the kitchen and tip the cooks and the dishwashers who work 12 hours a day preparing your food

Gratuities are typically for those that provide guest facing services. You really have no right to attack people. IJS.

This thread was started in 2006 and was dormant until someone resurrected it a page ago. Sure wish CC would do some house cleaning and delete old posts!

"May 5th, 2016"

:confused::confused:

Gratuities

Q: Am I required to pay these adjusted totals?

A: Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Tipping used to be directed at named crew: waiter, steward, etc. Now RC has decided to add other behind the scenes people to this pool. What changed? I don't think any more money is going into the crews' pockets; we are just subsidizing a broader category of wages.

I don't think it's wrong for people to tip as they wish.

Gratuities

Q: Am I required to pay these adjusted totals?

A: Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Tipping used to be directed at named crew: waiter, steward, etc. Now RC has decided to add other behind the scenes people to this pool. What changed? I don't think any more money is going into the crews' pockets; we are just subsidizing a broader category of wages.

I don't think it's wrong for people to tip as they wish.

I agree.

For instance, look at the number of threads about bringing on your own beverages; a CLEAR policy by RCI that does not allow this.

They do this so that they can get all of the money on purchases of those products and purchasing them also generates an additional gratuity for service staff.

But most people here repeatedly say it is okay to violate this policy. They do this to save money. I get it; not hard to understand. I don't do it. I also don't buy the soft drinks onboard, but I'm not subverting any policies.

So the same people that say it is okay to violate a policy that ends up costing the cruise line revenue and costing service staff money also say it is NOT okay to play by the cruise line rules regarding tipping (meaning that it is discretionary and guests can choose what to do).

Those are what are known as "control obsessives". they want to do things their way when it suits them personally even if it violates a policy, but they want to retain the imagined right to tell you what to do by being less than honest about what the policies are.

Hey people, as long as you're within the cruise line policy on ANY subject, make your choice and don't worry about it. Cruise Critic should be a great resource to educate people on what a policy is or is not, and not be used as a bully pulpit to browbeat people into doing it "your way".

I agree.

For instance, look at the number of threads about bringing on your own beverages; a CLEAR policy by RCI that does not allow this.

They do this so that they can get all of the money on purchases of those products and purchasing them also generates an additional gratuity for service staff.

But most people here repeatedly say it is okay to violate this policy. They do this to save money. I get it; not hard to understand. I don't do it. I also don't buy the soft drinks onboard, but I'm not subverting any policies.

So the same people that say it is okay to violate a policy that ends up costing the cruise line revenue and costing service staff money also say it is NOT okay to play by the cruise line rules regarding tipping (meaning that it is discretionary and guests can choose what to do).

Those are what are known as "control obsessives". they want to do things their way when it suits them personally even if it violates a policy, but they want to retain the imagined right to tell you what to do by being less than honest about what the policies are.

Hey people, as long as you're within the cruise line policy on ANY subject, make your choice and don't worry about it. Cruise Critic should be a great resource to educate people on what a policy is or is not, and not be used as a bully pulpit to browbeat people into doing it "your way".

I absolutely agree with you that CC should be a resource to educate people however I do take issue with your comparing gratuities to bringing soda on board.

While it does state no soda is allowed to be brought on board we all know how dilligently Royal works to keep its website updated.:rolleyes: We also know that Royal employees and their agents also knowingly let people on board carrying soda in plain sight and even delivering it to their room for them. It's not like people are sneaking soda or water on board in "rum runners". This is no different than many "laws" that are currently on the books in every state that are not enforced and clearly have not kept up with the times. I would hazard to guess that you have broken a few yourself.;)

Unless a policy is enforced it is really no longer a policy or rule.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/florida