Anyone here work as an enrichment lecturer on Princess?

brianlojeck

If you don't mind asking her a couple of questions:

1:What kind of room do they provide?

2: can she upgrade on her own dime?

3: does she choose her cruises, or does the cruise line assign her?

Inside cabin, sometimes crew area, sometimes passenger area. I'm sure the cruise line would let her upgrade on her own dime.

She gets various dates she can choose from. Now that she's no longer teaching she can go on more.

Wow....I'm really surprised at how poorly they are treated. On DCL they get a balcony cabin, can bring travel partner free, and give 3 lectures during a 7 night cruise. They can usually negotiate to bring 2 kids along also at no charge. If they are full time Disney employees, air is provided. If they are not, they provide their own transportation unless negotiated otherwise.

These people are typically connected with Disney in some way--we've seen Broadway performers, execs, Imagineers, etc. It is a different deal if they are on the ship as "entertainers," doing concerts, etc. rather than talks. We've also seen them volunteer for additional lectures, demos, classes, etc.

Wow....I'm really surprised at how poorly they are treated. On DCL they get a balcony cabin' date=' can bring travel partner free, and give 3 lectures during a 7 night cruise. They can usually negotiate to bring 2 kids along also at no charge. If they are full time Disney employees, air is provided. If they are not, they provide their own transportation unless negotiated otherwise.

These people are typically connected with Disney in some way--we've seen Broadway performers, execs, Imagineers, etc. It is a different deal if they are on the ship as "entertainers," doing concerts, etc. rather than talks. We've also seen them volunteer for additional lectures, demos, classes, etc.[/quote']

From what I've read here, Disney is more selective over who does their lectures... More like a Destination Lecture On princess... Makes sense they'd pay better

On the Pacific Princess the obstructed ocean view cabins area smaller than the inside and they often use them for entertainers.

We got bounced out of our inside on the Tahiti trip because they removed it from service. They moved an entertainer, who brought his wife along to it and tried to give us their obstructed ocean view, which we declined due to size.

Only the ObOV cabins on Deck 6 are smaller. The ones in Deck 3 are the same size or larger than inside cabins. The lecturer was on Deck 3 (two cabins down from us).

Had a lecturer on our Princess Grand Hawaii cruise, Jan 2016) speaking on entertainment and laughter (or something like that). Very dull PowerPoint and I think she thought PowperPoint was the most entertaining part of her talk. Again she tried speaking of some art and playwrights on another day. Both days I was awaken when the lights came on. Did I snore?

Had a few good leturers too. "As a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist" was one of my favs. A Phd Chemist.

We've spent quite a bit of time over the course of 2 15 day cruises with a destination lecturer who would be on the ship for 2 months in the fall and another 2 months or so in the spring. He's done this for 5 or 6 years. He always had his wife with him. They were normally in an "officer's cabin" which was oceanview. They typically stayed in the same cabin throughout each contract. He did receive a salary form Princess but not sure what that amounted to. He was provided airfare to/from the ports and did not pay any gratuities. They did have to pay the airfare for the wife and she was charged the daily gratuities to cover daily service from the room steward and dining wait staff.

This is what he told me a couple of times and I can't think of any reason why it would not be true. He took his job extremely seriously and was constantly doing research to keep his lectures up to date.

Wife was offered the chance once, but work got in the way.

Had a long chat with one lecturer last cruise about the current arrangements.

My husband and I lectured for about 10'years on Princess, Royal Caribbean and NCL...best job in the world. You need to have an agent. If you'd like more info write to me at Cruztalker at yahoo dot com and I can give you the info.

Lee

My husband and I lectured for about 10'years on Princess, Royal Caribbean and NCL...best job in the world. You need to have an agent. If you'd like more info write to me at Cruztalker at yahoo dot com and I can give you the info.

Lee

Not all lecturers on Princess work through an agent. Some deal directly with Princess. Those who have an agent can be offered a cruise on another cruise line, but they have to pay the agent for the privilege of working. It can be $65 per day or a flat fee for the cruise, plus airfares etc.

Been a while since I've been on CC ...

Many cruise lines still have enrichment/lecture programs, but some, in spite of the fact that guests seem to love the lectures, are cutting where ever they can. I always tell folks that if you like the enrichment/lecture programs you need to tell the cruise line.

All the cruise lines have slightly different approaches but they are all pretty much looking for the same thing ... articulate, interesting folks who can ENTERTAIN and inform at the same time. Just being an "expert" ["drip under pressure" or "someone 500 miles from home" doesn't in itself cut it. You need to entertain. And you should be somewhat an experienced speaker.

If you go to most cruise line Web sites down near the bottom you will find a link for "careers" which will take you to information about guest lecturers and tell you how they want you to apply/inquire. Some will offer you a free cruise, and you pay your own other expenses, like air, etc. Some won't give anything but will provide an opportunity for you to take the stage and do your thing ... sill a great way to build a resume and get exposure.

There are outfits like sixthstar ... just add the usual dot com to get to their Web site ...That's a good way to get started. They are booking agents as are others like Posh Talks, etc. They help cruise lines fill lecture slots ... generally you get a cruise, often including a companion, but you pay them $65-80 a night as a booking fee (covers generally you and traveling companion). Some cruise lines want finance lectures, others won't touch them. Some will do personality enrichment talks, others won't touch them. Sometimes, close to sailing, everyone gets a little panic sets in, and the cruise line ups the anty to get the spot filled.

Some cruise lines also have paid lecture positions which are generally contracts of 2 to 6 months on board, i.e. work. Again the WEb site "careers" link is the place to look. These are usually with the entertainment department and they are going to want to see resume, head shot, and video of you actually entertaining an audience with your lecture.

Hope that helps answer some of the questions!

Regards, Richard