Anyone here work as an enrichment lecturer on Princess?

brianlojeck

I've had the idea floating around in my head to apply to princess as an enrichment lecture presenter, use my skills as a university lecturer to actually do something productive. :-)

Anyone here do this? I've got a few questions that aren't answered by the Princess website.

I've had the idea floating around in my head to apply to princess as an enrichment lecture presenter, use my skills as a university lecturer to actually do something productive. :-)

Anyone here do this? I've got a few questions that aren't answered by the Princess website.

Wife was offered the chance once, but work got in the way.

Had a long chat with one lecturer last cruise about the current arrangements.

It most likely depends on your area of study and your credentials. Most of the lecturers that I have seen on cruise ships are actually studied in an area that pertains to that series of voyages (e.g. Faberge eggs on a Baltics cruise; dog sledding on an Alaska cruise). If I could find a way to parlay my work in severe disabilties and autism into a cruise lecturer position- I would be all over it. Unfortunately, I can't think of a single cruise series that I could make this work...

I have looked into a gig on Semester at Sea- which is a round the World cruise for college students. You sail and teach for four months. Oh. And you get paid! For that deal, you have to have a doctorate and a university credential- preferably in world history, economics, business, psychology, neurology, or religion. I am hoping to sell an "education" package for a semester at sea!

Annie- are you reading this????

As Tracie says, most of the enrichment lecturer topics are related to the cruise itself. Pretty sure they're just on longer cruises with several sea days. I believe they're hired through reps and I don't think they're paid. They are usually required to offer two lectures a day on sea days. I don't remember whether they pay for their accommodations but I think they do. It's not a "free cruise" type of thing.

I Googled and came up with this Cruise Critic article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1176

I'm an electrical engineer and comp sci lecturer (no PhD). My lectures would be more general interest sciencey/history type stuff... Kind of a poor man's Cosmos. Not relevant to any particular line, but no less relevant than the guy I saw on an Alaskan cruise who basically showed old pictures and asked "remember this?" for an hour a day.

Mostly, I'm looking for advice on the application process.

As Tracie says, most of the enrichment lecturer topics are related to the cruise itself. Pretty sure they're just on longer cruises with several sea days. I believe they're hired through reps and I don't think they're paid. They are usually required to offer two lectures a day on sea days. I don't remember whether they pay for their accommodations but I think they do. It's not a "free cruise" type of thing.

I Googled and came up with this Cruise Critic article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1176

We talked with both lecturers when we were on the Pacific thru the Canal.

The cruise is free. The DW of one of the lecturers came along and she had to pay.

We talked with both lecturers when we were on the Pacific thru the Canal.

The cruise is free. The DW of one of the lecturers came along and she had to pay.

Half price though I believe.

I'm an electrical engineer and comp sci lecturer (no PhD). My lectures would be more general interest sciencey/history type stuff... Kind of a poor man's Cosmos. Not relevant to any particular line, but no less relevant than the guy I saw on an Alaskan cruise who basically showed old pictures and asked "remember this?" for an hour a day.

Mostly, I'm looking for advice on the application process.

What I've done on several cruises was organize a get-together through my roll call. As a former Senior Program Manager at AOL, my expertise is online communities/social media and posting tips and tricks. I ask on the roll call who would be interested and then I contact the ship's rep and set up a meeting time and place. It's private and not in the Patter but I've had as many as 30-40 people attend.

I have looked into a gig on Semester at Sea- which is a round the World cruise for college students. You sail and teach for four months. Oh. And you get paid! For that deal, you have to have a doctorate and a university credential- preferably in world history, economics, business, psychology, neurology, or religion. I am hoping to sell an "education" package for a semester at sea!

Not a Professor but work in HigherEd. I know several who have looked at Semester at Sea for their Sabbatical and by the time they fully looked at it, they ran far away from it. I even remember reading something (not good) in the Chronicle or another publication that did not look promising.

This was a few years ago - maybe they have their act together now.

Edited by Coral

To confirm that not all lecturers receive a free cruise, I recently learned that Nick Jans (author, photographer and contributing editor to Alaska Magazine) will be boarding the Island Princess in Whittier June 29, lecturing a number of times then disembarking July 2 in Skagway (works out well for him since he lives in Haines). My guess is he will be repeating that stint on multiple departures.

Sounds like a great gig, if you can get it!

Friend is a lecturer for Celebrity. She pays next to nothing for her spouse to join her. She does have to pay for airfare. She goes thru a crew travel agent, so even the (sometimes last minute) airfare isn't too horrendous.

It was an interesting process. She found an agency and had to send in a short video of her teaching style. About 20 of us were her audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you don't mind asking her a couple of questions:

1:What kind of room do they provide?

2: can she upgrade on her own dime?

3: does she choose her cruises, or does the cruise line assign her?

Edited by brianlojeck

If you don't mind asking her a couple of questions:

1:What kind of room do they provide?

2: can she upgrade on her own dime?

3: does she choose her cruises, or does the cruise line assign her?

Our friend was in an inside cabin on Princess. It was a passenger cabin

A friend of mine does lectures on multiple line. On Princess he and his wife get an passenger inside cabin. On Celebrity they get a cabin in the crew area, full access to passenger areas.

Not a Professor but work in HigherEd. I know several who have looked at Semester at Sea for their Sabbatical and by the time they fully looked at it, they ran far away from it. I even remember reading something (not good) in the Chronicle or another publication that did not look promising.

This was a few years ago - maybe they have their act together now.

Ooooooo, T-

We have to talk! I need some dets on the SaS program-

:)

A man named Richard Dietrich has a blog about working on cruise ships and living in Panama. Take the space out of his name and add .com after it and you should be able to read what he has posted.

We know the destination lecturer who is an expert in Polynesia fairly well. No PhD but he has lived in French Polynesia much of his life. He is paid, gets to bring a cabinmate for free (they all pay tips and the cabinmate pays taxes) and generally gets an ObOV cabin (though it's not guaranteed). He stays on for entire season on specific itineraries. I think it's the enrichment lecturers that don't get paid but who do cruise for free.

We know the destination lecturer who is an expert in Polynesia fairly well. No PhD but he has lived in French Polynesia much of his life. He is paid, gets to bring a cabinmate for free (they all pay tips and the cabinmate pays taxes) and generally gets an ObOV cabin (though it's not guaranteed). He stays on for entire season on specific itineraries. I think it's the enrichment lecturers that don't get paid but who do cruise for free.

On the Pacific Princess the obstructed ocean view cabins area smaller than the inside and they often use them for entertainers.

We got bounced out of our inside on the Tahiti trip because they removed it from service. They moved an entertainer, who brought his wife along to it and tried to give us their obstructed ocean view, which we declined due to size.

Edited by RDC1

We met a couple who where "bridge card game" instructors many, many years ago on Princess. They got a free cabin, not sure of category. The catch was they needed to get a group together that booked with them. Found this out when they asked us to go on Cunard with them, we did not play bridge, did not understand the expectations. DW of the instructor got annoyed when we booked on our own, LOL. Don't know if lines are doing anything like this anymore.... needless to say when we understood what was going on we dropped the Cunard cruise.