Just off the phone with the fabulous customer service at NCL

I just spent 45 minutes with the customers service department of NCL. We got a notice from our TA and they stated that our 4 day cruise on October 10th will not be going to Great stirrup Cay as they are renovating the island from Aug.25 to October 20 but we will go to Grand Bahamas in place of it :):) The funny thing is we are going there two days before??? Thanks for the change to go there twice in a week. I called the customer un service line and they informed me they did cut off one of our places to visit and they were giving us a glorious day at sea:eek::eek: and not another island as they advertised. I spoke to their supervisor to see if there was going to be any compensation to now losing the only reason I wanted to cruise on this 2.5 star ship and was told it was their right to make changes and there would be no compensation to anyone as they do not need to and will not help. I have been on 5 other cruise lines and have never been so rudely treated. It is different if they changed because of weather or other conditions but think about it, they should consider that we are losing the only reason we wanted to go on this cruise. I hope this helps anyone who wants to consider going on a NCL cruise. THINK TWICE OR BE BURNED

I just spent 45 minutes with the customers service department of NCL. We got a notice from our TA and they stated that our 4 day cruise on October 10th will not be going to Great stirrup Cay as they are renovating the island from Aug.25 to October 20 but we will go to Grand Bahamas in place of it :):) The funny thing is we are going there two days before??? Thanks for the change to go there twice in a week. I called the customer un service line and they informed me they did cut off one of our places to visit and they were giving us a glorious day at sea:eek::eek: and not another island as they advertised. I spoke to their supervisor to see if there was going to be any compensation to now losing the only reason I wanted to cruise on this 2.5 star ship and was told it was their right to make changes and there would be no compensation to anyone as they do not need to and will not help. I have been on 5 other cruise lines and have never been so rudely treated. It is different if they changed because of weather or other conditions but think about it, they should consider that we are losing the only reason we wanted to go on this cruise. I hope this helps anyone who wants to consider going on a NCL cruise. THINK TWICE OR BE BURNED
Hopefully you were able to cancel your cruise, so you can book another line with a private island. Edited by NLH Arizona

Seem to me that it is probably not a real wise choice to pick a cruise solely on the basis of a port stop that is frequently missed due to weather.

Also if the island isn't being shut down to Aug 25, you should be within the cancellation window for a full refund, and if that is the case why would you be entitled to any compensation?

Sorry OP, I would have been extremely upset by that as well. Canceling the island is annoying enough, so I think they should have offered something to make up for it. Another port, money back, something. I know they technically don't have to according to their contract, but it would be good customer service to do so.

Like anything else in life, you have an opportunity. An opportunity to take what life is given you, and go on. Dwelling on the negative is perhaps not the best, but instead go forward by using the open window of free cancellation, to get all your money back. Go for it, or book a different cruise, and enjoy your vacation time, cause baby, life is way too short. Cheers!

NCL did nothing wrong. You should never book a cruise for a port, and to expect any compensation is ridiculous. If you don't like it you can cancel.

Cancel the cruise completely. GSC is the best stop of the trip. If they're not going there and won't compensate you, the cruise isn't worth the money they're asking.

I have to disagree. GSC is not that big of a deal, and certainly not a place to be upset about missing.

I have to disagree. GSC is not that big of a deal, and certainly not a place to be upset about missing.

It's one of the best beach experiences you can have. It's better than most beach-themed excursions NCL offers and it includes food. I'd rather skip Florida or Nassau than GSC.

It is unfortunate that it doesn't strike you as out of line to tie up a customer service line for 45 minutes.

I sailed the Sky and was notified during the cruise that we would have a sea day instead of GSC. No big deal and I had a great day at sea.

Last year before our Getaway cruise we were told our itinerary changed from eastern to western. As we boarded it was switched back, no big deal. A fabulous week at sea.

Hopefully you cancel and find something where you have more control.

Edited by Nola26

While the situation stinks, if you are booking for destination - book an all inclusive at that destination. NO cruiseline will give compensation for any of this type of thing - its in all the standard contracts. You can sail around the sea for the whole seven days and they are within their rights. They would refund your port fees.

Like anything else in life, you have an opportunity. An opportunity to take what life is given you, and go on. Dwelling on the negative is perhaps not the best, but instead go forward by using the open window of free cancellation, to get all your money back. Go for it, or book a different cruise, and enjoy your vacation time, cause baby, life is way too short. Cheers!

Great attitude! :)

Unfortunate yes if that's why you booked! But cruiselines in general can/do change ports for a variety of reasons. Cancel and rebook!

And traveling in Oct. (hurricane season) you risk missing any port.

Right on........You sound like my kind of girl....Cheers to you

I am curious - for all of those that are saying you shouldn't book a cruise for a singular destination, would the OP have any more/less irritation if they had booked the "11-Day Panama Canal RT Miami" and then NCL canceled the in/out of the Panama Canal? I understand that you shouldn't book a trip on one port, but aren't there a few trips that NCL has that are based off of one port?

I certainly would reschedule to another date/time that would include GSC if that's what is important, but I wouldn't ban NCL altogether from my cruise company of choice:)

I am curious - for all of those that are saying you shouldn't book a cruise for a singular destination, would the OP have any more/less irritation if they had booked the "11-Day Panama Canal RT Miami" and then NCL canceled the in/out of the Panama Canal? I understand that you shouldn't book a trip on one port, but aren't there a few trips that NCL has that are based off of one port?

I certainly would reschedule to another date/time that would include GSC if that's what is important, but I wouldn't ban NCL altogether from my cruise company of choice:)

Completely different OP booked a Bahamas Cruise on the Sky, and that is what he is getting. If you book a Panama canal cruise and they take the Canal away it is no longer what you booked and you would have a reason to ask questions.