Crown princess- best places for glacier/scenery viewing?!?!

kt6453

First time on Princess cruise. Looking to make a list of places to view Glacier Bay on our upcoming first trip to Alaska!!

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First time on Princess cruise. Looking to make a list of places to view Glacier Bay on our upcoming first trip to Alaska!!

Thank you!!

The best view is the top deck. The magnitude of the view is breathtaking. If you are lucky you get to view it at 6 am when it is still twilight and blue, you will feel like you are in Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

Once you enjoy the view from up top, then go back to your balcony and enjoy the next few hours. Don't forget dress in lots of layers, gloves, hats, ear muffs and bring binoculars. Loved this cruise and have fun!!

Your balcony.

The ship will drive up a straight, do a pirouette at the end so everyone can see the full view, then go back down the same way it came.

So, you'll get to see everything no matter where you are, and in your balcony you won't have to deal with the other people crowding and jockying for space.

Another vote for top deck - at the fore for me, even if just for a while. It just seems that it's important to get as close to a 360 as you can just to feel the size and majesty of the view. I haven't done it on Crown but suggest you scope out your spot and get there early. Some of the ships seem to have screens up in places which impair viewing so check it all out first.

Wrap up warmly, although sometimes you get lucky. A few years back we got blazing sunshine and 80 degrees in May.

I am going to let everyone in on a fantastic place to view the scenery. We did this on our recent Crown cruise. I assume most people are not aware of it because we were always out there by ourselves. Here goes. To get there you will need to be on the Lido deck. Walk towards the bow passing both pools. There will be a door that goes to a hallway. Keep walking past all the cabins. At the end of the hallway there will be a door. It is not marked in any way. Open it and go thru the next door. You will be on a huge deck that is right above the bridge. It offers spectacular viewing. It extends all the way on both sides over the bridge, offering a unique view down the side of the ship also. They lock it at night but reopen it early in the morning. It is a little tricky to find, but well worth it.

I am going to let everyone in on a fantastic place to view the scenery. We did this on our recent Crown cruise. I assume most people are not aware of it because we were always out there by ourselves. Here goes. To get there you will need to be on the Lido deck. Walk towards the bow passing both pools. There will be a door that goes to a hallway. Keep walking past all the cabins. At the end of the hallway there will be a door. It is not marked in any way. Open it and go thru the next door. You will be on a huge deck that is right above the bridge. It offers spectacular viewing. It extends all the way on both sides over the bridge, offering a unique view down the side of the ship also. They lock it at night but reopen it early in the morning. It is a little tricky to find, but well worth it.

Thank you so much for that!

Is there seating there?

view%20place.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Thanks for the info, we will be on the Crown to Alaska in one week and that is just down the hall from our stateroom. Going to scope this area out on sail away.

Honestly - I think the best viewing is from lower decks. Try Deck 7 on the Promenade. It will be less crowded and great views! You can easily move side to side also.

I far prefer this to the top deck.

Edited by Coral

We would see people up there, but could never figure out how to get there?? Thanks.

You can also have nice views forward on Emerald deck which is accessed from the stairs up from the Promenade deck or the door all the way forward at the end of the Emerald deck hallways. This area is covered if you have rain. We did some viewing in Tracy Arm from there.

Definitely NOT the balcony. That way, you only have a 180 degree field of vision. On deck you can get a 360 or nearly so field of vision.

DON

Ditto this. There is no single place to get good views, but my preference are the upper open decks. They provide you with the opportunity to walk around, get 360 degree views, and to interact with others. Food and hot or cold drink are also available on the upper decks. We have always had balcony cabins and have found the view from the balcony limited and too quiet.

This is a great topic. Thank you everyone. We don't have a balcony this trip so I am paying close attention. Does anyone have any advice how early to be out watching. The start time listed by princess is 6am.

Vote for balcony here! We have done both, and we by FAR prefer our balcony. You will still get to see everything with unobstructed views from your balcony. You will have close access to your gear (camera, binoculars, jackets/layers/blanket if needed), hot drinks and snacks if needed, and a private bathroom! Plus you will have quiet solitude, other than maybe neighbors oohing and awwing. When you're on the top deck you have to jockey for position with hundreds of your closest friends wanting the same views. Plus the thing that bothered me the most was all the NOISE! Everyone is talking and the ship's noises completely drowned out the wonderful nature sounds when on the top deck. From our balcony we could hear the groaning, cracking, creaking, and snapping of ice in the water -- completely surreal! But up top it was lost on everyone because they couldn't hear any of it.

So long story short, I will always vote balcony and in my opinion the views are just as good if not better, and the amenities can't be beat.

Another tip if you're in a mini-suite: we pulled the couch from the wall and faced it to the balcony (with our steward's blessing) so we always had a comfortable and private viewing spot of ALL the wonderful nature scenes. We saw tons of whales, seals, birds, and even a grizzly bear just by watching out the balcony during the whole cruise - a lot!

Have a great trip whatever you choose!

Edited by Paula_MacFan

How is Alaska the beginning of sept ? Would love advise . Trying to avoid crowds . [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did a B2B from 09/01 through 09/15 a couple of years ago. We had rain in Juneau on the first leg and in Skagway and Tracy Arm on the second leg. We would typically start port days with a sweater and a windbreaker but we had often removed both before the day was over. The salmon were still running in Ketchikan.

This is a great topic. Thank you everyone. We don't have a balcony this trip so I am paying close attention. Does anyone have any advice how early to be out watching. The start time listed by princess is 6am.

We went up on deck about 5:30/5:45. We found the sailing into Glacier Bay, pre dawn beautiful. It is very cold so be prepared. The quiet and twilight blue sky is unbelievable. We had a balcony but found ourselves going back up top to experience the magnitude of Glacier Bay. Have fun!