All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I was devastated..had everything in place, but sometimes the unexpected good things happen I used our FCC to book a Paris to Normandy with extra nights in London for 2021 Since we’d already booked a British Isles Princess Cruise for April 2021 I really didn’t want to fly to Europe twice in the spring Therefore, the Avalon River Cruise will end in London one day before we go to Southampton I was happy with the cruise pricing offered by Avalon

Of course, anything can happen, as we all know too well, during a year I feel sad for travel agents right now My TA said she’s probably two weeks from being laid off

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got off the phone with Avalon.  Kudos to them for making things so easy. We are getting refunds to our credit cards for full price of cruise. We were really looking forward to Paris to Marseilles,  but couldn't see tying up that much cash for that long for rebooking.  

2 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

I hear you hmcrn . we were traveling with just one other couple and the logistics of rescheduling with just the 4 of us made my head hurt!  Can’t imagine trying to do it with 14. We ended up deciding to just go with the refund of price paid since we couldn’t find a time That we could all go in 2020 to take advantage of the price lock offer. I may regret passing on the additional credit but oh well.  Thankful that was the biggest problem of the day. Could be much worse. 

You are SO right!  Things could be much much worse.  Big Kudos to Avalon for letting us know now and giving us good options.  I believe we will end up doing the same as you  and just trying to get everyone together again for 2021.  Hopefully 2021 will be a great cruising year!

• Thanks 1

To anyone who has cancelled and gotten their refund - do you get it all at once, or is it broken up?  (Like some of the ocean cruises are doing).  

Also, does the refund include taxes, fees, etc?  

For those of you who got a letter of credit, did you get taxes, fees, etc refunded?  Or included in the credit?  

Sorry - SO many questions!  Never had a cruise cancelled before so this is quite the learning experience!

What they told me on the phone yesterday is that the refund will go to the credit card that I used to pay fees. In my case, both American Express and Visa. They did say that the credit card companies sometimes take awhile to process . I will keep monitoring  them. The figures that they gave me appear to be a total refund.

Mine has not come through my credit card yet but looks to be a full refund but nothing on my travel insurance.  I'll let you know when i get money in my account.  Luckily I had not booked any excursions.   I still need to cancel my hotels i booked separately.  

• 2 weeks later...

Along these lines, we got all our refunds/good alternatives,  except first class airfare from delta.  They said we had to use before end of the year, sigh.  Today received notice it’s now 2 years!  So except from our extreme disappointment about the trip at least we are whole again.  Thanks, Delta, Avalon and best of luck to all.

16 hours ago, s35flyer said:

Along these lines, we got all our refunds/good alternatives,  except first class airfare from delta.  They said we had to use before end of the year, sigh.  Today received notice it’s now 2 years!  So except from our extreme disappointment about the trip at least we are whole again.  Thanks, Delta, Avalon and best of luck to all.

Keep pushing Delta on the refund,  They refunded mine and it was not first class.  It was comfort class,

They gave me a voucher for my domestic that is good now for 2 years (I was flying into ATL a day early to make sure I did not miss my International flight.

Just went in to check on how many cabins have been booked on our May 2021 cruise, and I see that (for our cruise anyway) most months now have single supplement waived.   This may help those who are thinking of re-booking, as right now they still have their sale on.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:42 AM, suntan said:

I received this email from Avalon today.  You should be receiving an email soon.

IMPORTANT TRAVEL NOTICE, March 23, 2020

In response to elevated travel restrictions and government advisements, Avalon is suspending operations for all departures through June 30, 2020, which includes your scheduled vacation.

Please note that you do not need to take immediate action. To give you time to consider your updated travel plans, we are processing your refund automatically of all monies paid in the form of Letter of Credit, enabling you to move your booking, fully intact, to any Globus family of brands (Globus, Cosmos, Avalon Waterways or Monograms) tour, cruise or package, any destination or departure, 2020, 2021 or 2022.

Additionally, we’ll give a credit bonus of $200 per person toward your new booking, including our new 2021 touring and cruising vacations, with many dates already available.

We apologize for any inconvenience in your travel planning, and look forward to helping you when you are ready to make your new plans. Please call us at 1.800.268.1639 for support or to answer any questions.

Sincerely,
Avalon Waterways

Visit our Website

Did you get back your deposit?  Avalon will not refund ours because we cancelled on Mar.6 for a May 4 cruise.  The reason we cancelled was because their policy was changing everyday.  Our TA said she has never seen anything like it.  At the time they were offering come cash back and the other money into a credit for a future vacation with any of their brands.  Unfortunately, they had a couple of rules in place regarding when you cancelled and of course the later you cancelled the less money you got back.  We did get all the money back no future credit, except the deposit, so at the time we thought it very fair. Well after seeing that they cancelled ALL cruises through June 30, I called to get my deposit back.  They refused based on the grounds that I cancelled and my reservation was closed.  I seriously think this is a very bad business practice.  I realize they are hurting for money but at the same time we felt we were at risk if we went on the cruise.  In the end, we were right in cancelling and we didn't want to play a game of "chicken" regarding our health and safety.   Does anyone know if there is a way to get out deposit back?  I will try our insurance carrier but I am thinking there probably will be no luck there.

Post this on their Facebook page.  Maybe a little public shaming will do the trick. 
Frankly, I would expect better from any Globus brand, especially Avalon.  The least they could do is credit your deposit toward a future trip. 

24 minutes ago, NJCruisers said:

Did you get back your deposit?  Avalon will not refund ours because we cancelled on Mar.6 for a May 4 cruise.  The reason we cancelled was because their policy was changing everyday.  Our TA said she has never seen anything like it.  At the time they were offering come cash back and the other money into a credit for a future vacation with any of their brands.  Unfortunately, they had a couple of rules in place regarding when you cancelled and of course the later you cancelled the less money you got back.  We did get all the money back no future credit, except the deposit, so at the time we thought it very fair. Well after seeing that they cancelled ALL cruises through June 30, I called to get my deposit back.  They refused based on the grounds that I cancelled and my reservation was closed.  I seriously think this is a very bad business practice.  I realize they are hurting for money but at the same time we felt we were at risk if we went on the cruise.  In the end, we were right in cancelling and we didn't want to play a game of "chicken" regarding our health and safety.   Does anyone know if there is a way to get out deposit back?  I will try our insurance carrier but I am thinking there probably will be no luck there.

I did not request my deposit back.  My travel agent, a few days before Avalon came out and said they were cancelling the May cruises, booked me on a cruise with them in April 2021.  I heard from my TA last week Avalon is transferring my full payment for the 2020 cruise to my 2021 cruise.

36 minutes ago, suntan said:

I did not request my deposit back.  My travel agent, a few days before Avalon came out and said they were cancelling the May cruises, booked me on a cruise with them in April 2021.  I heard from my TA last week Avalon is transferring my full payment for the 2020 cruise to my 2021 cruise.

Same here   I’m happy  

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the Danube Dream cruise from Budapest to Deggendorf for May 2021. Plan on arriving the day before in Budapest, just looking at suitable hotels, not sure what hotel Avalon uses. Not sure if Avalon will have transfers to Munich or Nuremberg after the cruise, we plan on catching a train to the north of Germany for a few days. If not, presume that we will be able to arrange a taxi through the front desk to take us to Prattling to catch the train. Has anyone ended their journey in Deggendorf, if so how was the disembarkation?

We are planing a 2022 Galapagos cruise with Avalon and I am wondering if anyone has cruised here with them. Info in weak online and I couldn't find anything on the forms here. Just curious how well done this is since it isn't an Avalon ship.

On the dedicated River Cruise forum there is a thread dedicated to "All Things Avalon."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

There is also a dedicated forum for Eco & Expedition Cruises:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/55-eco-amp-expedition-cruising/

Between these two forums you should be able to get feedback on both Avalon and the Galapagos.

1 hour ago, cccult said:

We are planing a 2022 Galapagos cruise with Avalon and I am wondering if anyone has cruised here with them. Info in weak online and I couldn't find anything on the forms here. Just curious how well done this is since it isn't an Avalon ship.

@cccult

Howdy! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum for general questions about cruising. 👍

I have merged your thread into the existing thread titled All Things Avalon on the River Cruising forum. There are 104 members following the thread & hopefully someone will be able to help you there.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

11 hours ago, cccult said:

We have not done the Galapagos with them, but did their Peru/Amazon itinerary.   The info about their "exotic" cruises is thin - as it is a different branch of the company.  We got conflicting answers to questions around gratuities - and then, when we paid up front (as we tend to do...) - discovered that it didn't cover everything.

Based on our experience, I would say that you would enjoy the itinerary.  The company they booked for our Amazon river cruise  was top drawer - no complaints at all. Are you doing the itinerary that includes Lima/Machu Picchu?  If so, you will not be disappointed.  Our local guide - Victor - was simply awesome.  We also had another guide along for the Cusco/Machu Picchu part - and he was also wonderful.  We had been looking at another company for our trip to Peru - but, cruising the Amazon was a bucket list item - and it wasn't easy to find a package that included that.  Avalon does - and delivered an amazing experience. 

Fran

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2016 at 11:41 AM, webfoot said:

I also use the laundry frequently. Everything comes back looking great! The prices are a little bit lower than hotels but you get much faster service.

I take nothing but old underpanties with me and discard at the end of the day. More room for shopping that way!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do the same thing with underwear.  Take the old and then just discard.  The price to wash them is often more than I paid for them in the first place.  LOL.  I guess I am a bit cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello;

We are considering the Danube Dreams Westbound July 2021 from Budapest to Deggendorf with a 2 days Prague extension.

Does anyone know whihc hotel Avalon uses for the Prague extension?

Just trying to see if we can get a better hotel in term of location and price.

Thanks

You will probably get a better price at the hotel, but you will have to arrange your own transfer to or from Prague.  If you are not going to their hotels, they will book you on just the river cruise.  Looking at the website, there are 6 different hotels they stay in.  

The Hilton Old Town

Alcron Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel Prague

Art Deco Imperial 

Intercontinental Praga and 

Prague Marriott.

One other thing to consider, if you wanted the tour of Prague included with the extension, it won't be available if you don't go with their booking.  

Edited by Daisi

• 1 month later...

Seine river Paris to Normandy with extra days in London...April 2021   This is a rebooking from our cancelled Holland cruise    I’m just very scared that Europe won’t let Americans in    I know it’s seven months away...but the news doesn’t seem to be getting any better    We’ve booked our airfare with miles and so far those are sticking    Of course, it’s really just a small inconvenience for us when others are losing homes in the west coast fires   😥