All Things Avalon

FuelScience

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When you are drinking your own wine at dinner, you are not drinking theirs – they should be happy to accommodate!

Well, that’s an excellent point! 🙂

On 3/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, scottie920 said:

Can anyone advise what the current corkage fee is for a bottle of champagne/wine to drink in restaurant or lounge. Thank you.

On our last cruise, we bought a bottle in town (would never find at home) to share with new friends. There was no corkage fee and no issue with us bringing our own bottle. Cheers 🥂 

• Like 3

Tried searching this thread and couldn't find the answer so my apologies if this has been answered previously.  Does Avalon provide guests with refillable water bottles?  If so, are they complimentary or is there a charge?

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Tried searching this thread and couldn't find the answer so my apologies if this has been answered previously.  Does Avalon provide guests with refillable water bottles?  If so, are they complimentary or is there a charge?

I think most people bring their own.  On our last cruise-September 2022- there were no loaner or give-away water bottles.  We were prepared and brought our own.  
Of course, it is simple enough to keep a disposable water bottle you bought in a shop and just refill that.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Guest Services has a supply of stainless steel water bottles.  They are complimentary unless you don’t return them.  There are refilling stations available in various areas of the ship, or you can fill them from the supply they keep stocked in your room.  Now I’m kicking myself for not taking a pic of a water station.

IMG_6451.thumb.jpeg.47ac9331d62335c753fc2c7b923d2b64.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I remember reading that we should bring a refillable water bottle.  So I did.  I'm boarding Poetry in Arles this afternoon ... will report back.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There are stainless steel bottles at the reception desk if you wish, not the easiest to drink out of, but they work, and no charge. Just didn't bother bringing them home. We tend to refill our plastic bottles that we pick up either on the plane, or bring with us to fill after security. We had purchased collapsing bottles, but they are even more awkward and heavier than the stainless ones. 

Edited by Daisi
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Daisi said:

There are stainless steel bottles at the reception desk if you wish, not the easiest to drink out of, but they work, and no charge. Just didn't bother bringing them home. We tend to refill our plastic bottles that we pick up either on the plane, or bring with us to fill after security. We had purchased collapsing bottles, but they are even more awkward and heavier than the stainless ones. 

I use one like this, although I'm not sure it is exactly the same brand. Very light, and it folds so that the clip can go around it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Foldable-Leak-Proof-Reusable-Collapsible-Adventure/dp/B07527H3NC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1PCTDXGI9BKW7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9HOioX2zA9rsGIDCIFE1GCEyaBWihK6pyzA9NeDkJbc9Xl9cwycY8fI4Ti_N6q8xgejLy5FDW5HZ967Khlpj8BtMOz-WnORjHpKzGV4-G_4XJGwMmEhiMAJ9k8kDSmgeh3-1mZdd3Knp_HNUEzKLrjtfi9GGJBoPJLYfVlFJqtdcvG6Y_px9d7fANSGN59C5xj03JIuhdgO1HvGMcjhmKnXxbknsv5jPV0ozCIDQuS5gKDD7Oq6-4Aebg51EiONt4cTiD0Gri4LF7hYUglNm6BwfpIE_AgECuYI8VMPgVHs.9dqzTgv3E3vJwdEk4ObdxeTDFNQ6FUmutCpPYoHUwKc&dib_tag=se&keywords=folding+water+bottle+travel&qid=1712071150&sprefix=folding+travel+bottle%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5

@gnome12, I looked at those, but we wanted something we could set down and pass easily back and forth between us. The ones like that, you can't put down on a bench or something to use your hands for other things.

9 hours ago, Daisi said:

Thanks for reminding me that we can use the water from the plane.  We were also thinking of bringing coffee travel mugs and quickly realized it really starts to add to your luggage, especially when our goal is to keep or luggage as light as possible.

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

Thanks for reminding me that we can use the water from the plane.  We were also thinking of bringing coffee travel mugs and quickly realized it really starts to add to your luggage, especially when our goal is to keep or luggage as light as possible.

Whenever we get a disposable bottle still made with nice thick plastic (that doesn't crinkle  every time you look at it and unlike metal bottles doesn't clink with every step you take), we keep it and use it until it truly dies.  After all, the second arrow in the 'recycle' logo is 'reuse'...  [PS – they go through TSA just fine, as long as they're empty...]

• Like 1

Scenic now has re-usable bottles (black) so now our Mini’s have black for DH as his Countryman is Black and black for mine as a contrast as my Countryman is white. Okay yes there is a story there. I got my Mini first, could not get DH out of the driving seat so insisted he got his own. So yes he’s got most of the bells and whistles but mines got far more poke!

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

.  [PS – they go through TSA just fine, as long as they're empty...]

Yeah, in fact last year going through, we left the two (empty) bottles in our pockets in the knapsack and they didn't even question them. I guess as long as they aren't full, we could have gotten away with it. 

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Yeah, in fact last year going through, we left the two (empty) bottles in our pockets in the knapsack and they didn't even question them. I guess as long as they aren't full, we could have gotten away with it. 

There is absolutely no restriction against bringing an empty bottle. I always do, and fill it once past security.

@gnome12, yes, we have been known for quickly draining our bottles before hitting security. What surprised me, they didn't take them out of the pockets in our knapsack, so didn't know if there was liquid in them or not. I wouldn't take the risk, but either we look really trustworthy, or I hit the right border officer on the right day (they even pulled us out and put us through the fast nexus line).

11 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@gnome12, yes, we have been known for quickly draining our bottles before hitting security. What surprised me, they didn't take them out of the pockets in our knapsack, so didn't know if there was liquid in them or not. I wouldn't take the risk, but either we look really trustworthy, or I hit the right border officer on the right day (they even pulled us out and put us through the fast nexus line).

They can see that there is water in it on the scanner. Then they pull you out of line to yell at you. 🫣

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

They can see that there is water in it on the scanner. Then they pull you out of line to yell at you. 🫣

In the US (and other places).  But in South America we were surprised to see people openly carrying bottles filled with water – we checked and it is allowed on domestic flights.

56 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In the US (and other places).  But in South America we were surprised to see people openly carrying bottles filled with water – we checked and it is allowed on domestic flights.

That surprised us when we were in Peru...

Fran

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

There is absolutely no restriction against bringing an empty bottle. I always do, and fill it once past security.

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I always bring empty water bottles (the 750ml) with me and fill up after security and then use them on my trip to refill!

18 hours ago, Shelagh12 said:

I always bring empty water bottles (the 750ml) with me and fill up after security and then use them on my trip to refill!

I remember the tin water bottles from Avalon....they are big and clunky, not easy to carry, and when filled with cold water, they condensate (is that a word) the water on the outside...so your bag/clothes get wet.  I would not use them again!  On Emerald (can I mention that here?) we had insulated water bottles - smaller, neater and no condensation (also useful for hot drinks).  We left one behind, I wish we had bought it home!

Has anyone here taken advantage of the bikes on board? I'm looking forward to riding along the Moselle and welcome any info. Are the bikes okay? I don't expect anything high end (although that would be a nice surprise), but would like to know what to expect.

1 hour ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Has anyone here taken advantage of the bikes on board? I'm looking forward to riding along the Moselle and welcome any info. Are the bikes okay? I don't expect anything high end (although that would be a nice surprise), but would like to know what to expect.

The bikes are pretty decent.  In nearly every town, one of the excursions will be a bike tour. Sign up for those well ahead of time as they book up quickly. 
As for using a bike on your own (not in an excursion) you’ll have to check with the Activity Director to see if one is available). I think there are 18 bikes on each ship, plus two E-bikes. 

21 hours ago, Kenster said:

The bikes are pretty decent.  In nearly every town, one of the excursions will be a bike tour. Sign up for those well ahead of time as they book up quickly. 
As for using a bike on your own (not in an excursion) you’ll have to check with the Activity Director to see if one is available). I think there are 18 bikes on each ship, plus two E-bikes. 

Good to know, thank you. Did you take any of the bike tours? What were they like? If I'm staying in town, I prefer a walking tour. I'd like to use the bike to get out and enjoy the countryside.

35 minutes ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Good to know, thank you. Did you take any of the bike tours? What were they like? If I'm staying in town, I prefer a walking tour. I'd like to use the bike to get out and enjoy the countryside.

Although I didn’t take a bike tour (couldn’t fit it in with all the other great tours!) the people who did, loved them.  I never heard anyone complain about the condition of their bikes.  The Adventure Host, who took them out on their tours, got a standing ovation on the last night by those who did.  Here is a pic of the bikes.  They looked in great condition.

IMG_1382.thumb.jpeg.7b63f1294598fca561b5fb14ec055be8.jpeg