All Things Avalon

FuelScience

2 hours ago, marksind said:

Anyone out there done the Danube Black Sea to Budapest or beyond this year (or vice versa)?  We're doing Black Sea to Munich (Vilshofen) in October.  Haven't done an Avalon cruise, but have done different river cruises on Viking and Ama.  We're very interested in the lower Danube itinerary.  Any comments, thoughts, hints, etc.? I haven't seen any regarding that route.

Thanks very much for asking about your cruise.  We're seriously considering the same or a similar lower Danube cruise with some long-time friends aboard Avalon in 2024.  Sounds very fascinating!

4 hours ago, marksind said:

Anyone out there done the Danube Black Sea to Budapest or beyond this year (or vice versa)?  We're doing Black Sea to Munich (Vilshofen) in October.  Haven't done an Avalon cruise, but have done different river cruises on Viking and Ama.  We're very interested in the lower Danube itinerary.  Any comments, thoughts, hints, etc.? I haven't seen any regarding that route.

We have done the lower Danube twice.  First with Viking, and then with Scenic.  I had it booked twice with Avalon (loved the fact that there was more days on the river...) but it was cancelled both times (low water, then Covid). When we booked the 3rd time, the Avalon trip had really increased in price so we went with Scenic as they had a "free air" promotion.  We also booked the Transylvania pre-tour - and loved it. 

I would suggest going in a couple of days early to Bucharest. There is lots to see there, and you can easily book a tour if your Avalon tour doesn't cover what you want to see.  We toured the Parliament (Palace of the People) the first time we were there, but it was closed when we went last fall. We were able to see Ceausescu's home on the last visit.  Well worth the time to see it if it is not included (a real eye opener to see how he lived - while the rest of the country struggled....).

I love Avalon - and think you will have a great trip.  Would definitely have gone if Avalon if the sale with Scenic wasn't so enticing.

Fran

• Like 1

I've heard *SO* many positive outcomes from those using Apple AirTags on their checked baggage and other valuables that I thought it might be beneficial to re-post this excellent CruiseCritic piece on these ingenious devices.

We buy them in the 4-Packs.  Cheap insurance!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/why-ill-never-cruise-without-apple-airtags-again

40 minutes ago, moonriver54 said:

I've heard *SO* many positive outcomes from those using Apple AirTags on their checked baggage and other valuables that I thought it might be beneficial to re-post this excellent CruiseCritic piece on these ingenious devices.

We buy them in the 4-Packs.  Cheap insurance!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/why-ill-never-cruise-without-apple-airtags-again

I was confused about the advice I have received to replace the batteries in AirTags when the FindMy App shows them getting low.  No indication of battery strength that I could see.  Until yesterday, when I got a message that one of our AirTag's batteries needed replacing.  So it's on a 'need to know' basis!  I was planning to replace all the batteries before this next trip – big fail is they die while lost in a pile of luggage at the airport! – so I had already bought a 4-pack.  Now all changed and binging me back just fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was confused about the advice I have received to replace the batteries in AirTags when the FindMy App shows them getting low.  No indication of battery strength that I could see.  Until yesterday, when I got a message that one of our AirTag's batteries needed replacing.  So it's on a 'need to know' basis!  I was planning to replace all the batteries before this next trip – big fail is they die while lost in a pile of luggage at the airport! – so I had already bought a 4-pack.  Now all changed and binging me back just fine.

We have numerous Apple AirTags on a wide variety of items...key fobs, etc., and find them invaluable.  My experience is the CR-2032 "button batteries" in the AirTags last a little over a year.  While the Apple "Find My" app will NOT allow you to check the CURRENT battery level, and will only send a warning once the battery level is LOW...for our luggage Apple AirTags I just replace them well in advance of travel so I know they'll be good for the duration of our trip.  The cost of the replacement batteries is minimal.

Replacement CR-2032 batteries readily available on Amazon.  Please be advised...per Apple's warning, the "Child Safe" CR2032 batteries will not work in AirTags...so purchase replacement batteries accordingly.

38 minutes ago, moonriver54 said:

Replacement CR-2032 batteries readily available on Amazon.  Please be advised...per Apple's warning, the "Child Safe" CR2032 batteries will not work in AirTags...so purchase replacement batteries accordingly.

I believe that Duracell is the main type with that coating – and I have stopped buying Duracell in general because their AA batteries leak too often [compared to other brands, which haven't leaked at all for me]

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Duracell what has happened with them they used to be renowned for not leaking now they do quite a lot, not a good example for battery technology, sorry for going off piste my little rant for the day.

The company has been passed around a bit.  At one point was owned by P&G, which doesn't spring to mind for electronics!  Now owned by Berkshire Hathaway, which is famous for taking a hands-off approach to the companies it owns.  So I have just moved on – even Amazon's store brand perform better for me.

• 4 months later...

Answering a question from another thread on here as well: 

1. Toiletries on the European ships are large bottle stuck to the shower wall.

2. There are multiple water & ice dispensers located around the ship & there is a flavored water dispenser in the club lounge at the back of the ship. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't  been on here since  2017 when we did our last Avalon Danube cruise so trying to catch up on all the great Info.  We are doing the Amsterdam to Como Rhine cruise in May, interestingly on the same ship Panorama  and even the same cabin. Looking for any suggestions or input for this trip. Really love the cabins on Avalon and the food was always great.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bjay3 said:

Haven't  been on here since  2017 when we did our last Avalon Danube cruise so trying to catch up on all the great Info.  We are doing the Amsterdam to Como Rhine cruise in May, interestingly on the same ship Panorama  and even the same cabin. Looking for any suggestions or input for this trip. Really love the cabins on Avalon and the food was always great.

So your cruise is actually AMS to Basel. 
Not sure of this exact itinerary. We’ve been through that stretch three times as part of longer cruises.  
I hope you have an evening in Cologne.  If so, get off the ship after dinner and walk back into town. Walk around the center/cathedral area. Find a little pub and enjoy the wonderful local beer: Kölsch!  

We really enjoyed the optional day excursion into the Black Forest. That’ll probably be on your last day before sailing into Basel. 

Have a great time! 

• Like 1

@bjay3, love that you are on the same ship & cabin, we are doing the Moselle next year, same ship and cabin as our first cruise!  

We did the Rhine A-B in 2018, and we were in Cologne until after 10:00, so hopefully you will be as well. Seeing the Dom all light up was quite something. 

Enjoy your cruise.

You are right, the cruise itself is Amsterdam to Basel but we took the Avalon extension that adds the land tour to Lucerne and Lake Como.

A few years ago we did a driving trip from Frankfurt down the Rhine to Basel and thought sailing it would be nice.

Thanks for the tip on Cologne. Will remember to go back out after dinner to see everything lit up.

Not sure if we will do the Black Forest excursion as we have been to the village and driven the area. Have to see what else there is.

So good to be going on another river cruise. We do a lot of ocean cruises so enjoy the difference of a river cruise.

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 2:02 PM, bjay3 said:

I just booked 'your cruise' for November, reverse direction, no solo supplement.  I love Avalon and still marvel at their quality ... I read a lot of reviews and nobody ever has anything negative to say about Avalon.  I'm sailing with them in France at the end of the month and have booked the new Bordeaux cruise a year from now.  But I was quite amazed at the cost of the Como/Lucerne extension compared to what's being offered.  $2400 for a couple of tours, hotels (rack rates of $200 or so) and transfers.  Other than breakfast, I don't think there are even any included meals.  I'm hoping that the actual experience is a better value than it looks.  Please come back after your May cruise with a report ... I can almost guarantee you'll have a great time!

Edited by jsn55

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all, we are multiple ocean cruisers and land-tour veterans wanting  to take our first river cruise this summer for our 50th anniversary. Could we get some opinions on Avalon vs Viking? Folks we know love and swear by Viking. Avalon appears a bit more pricey, but the cabins look larger. The Avalon  agent we spoke with  called Viking "the Wal-Mart of river cruises". True? What does that make Avalon? 

The cruises we are considering are Vikings Belgium and Holland and Avalon's Basel to Amsterdam. Thoughts, anyone? 

52 minutes ago, randyjoan said:

Hi, all, we are multiple ocean cruisers and land-tour veterans wanting  to take our first river cruise this summer for our 50th anniversary. Could we get some opinions on Avalon vs Viking? Folks we know love and swear by Viking. Avalon appears a bit more pricey, but the cabins look larger. The Avalon  agent we spoke with  called Viking "the Wal-Mart of river cruises". True? What does that make Avalon? 

The cruises we are considering are Vikings Belgium and Holland and Avalon's Basel to Amsterdam. Thoughts, anyone? 

Consider the fact that Viking crams 196 people on the exact same size ship that Avalon maxes at 164. How do they do that? Obviously the cabins have to be much smaller.  Avalon’s standard Cabins are 200 square feet. Viking’s largest non suite cabin is about 170 square feet. Many are around 139 sf.  Even Avalons basic cabins are 179sf, larger than Viking’s fancy “Veranda” cabins. 
Avalon’s standard 200sf “Panorama” cabins have an entire wall of glass facing the river that opens up to a French Balcony. And the beds face the river! Viking beds face the wall. 

Now, consider how thirty two extra passengers affect the public spaces of the Viking ship? Crowded lounge. Crowded dining room! 

Avalon serves wonderful gourmet meals.  The wines are top notch and change nightly, reflecting the regions through which you’re sailing. Viking serves the same old “Red or White” generic house wines every night, UNLESS you buy a premium drink package. Now imagine the awkwardness at dinner each night when you’re stuck with the same house wine while your dinner table companions are enjoying premium wines. 

Most days, Avalon offers three choices of included excursions, and great choices of optionals. 

Think about all of that before you sign up for Walmart… I mean… Viking. 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, randyjoan said:

I cannot compare the cruise lines but can compare the itineraries. You are looking at two considerably different routes although both are in Western Europe and here in the realm of the Rhine and its tributaries. The first is three countries (via a short sail into Germany), the second is four countries. The first is on elevations barely above 60m (excursions get you higher), the second is over 200m (at Basel) with the hills close by and excursions taking you quite a bit higher. The first is culturally a closer unit, meaning Low German/Dutch/Flemish, the second is a more varied mix of Germanic and Alsatian/French. For want of a better comparison. The first gives you beer mostly, the second wine and beer. The first is longer in days than the second. It depends on what you would like to focus on. I regard them both as interesting itineraries.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't asking to compare these two itineraries (they happened to fit our schedule) as much as I wanted comparisons of the two cruise lines.

I do appreciate the comments. 

I see. Misunderstood the last question of your post. I wonder if there is a term for Avalon if Viking is "Walmart".

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

Now, consider how thirty two extra passengers affect the public spaces of the Viking ship? Crowded lounge. Crowded dining room! 

It reminds me that a couple of folks have posted in the last year or two that there is supposed to be not enough room (seating) for all passengers in the lounge during the information talks when the ship is fully booked. True or not, the crowded feel is obviously there.

notamermaid

• Like 2

I’ve seen some comparisons that Avalon is similar to Marriott / Hilton  while Viking is more similar to Hampton Inn / Fairfield Inn but opinions vary. I’ve done 3 cruises with Avalon & none have been on 100% full ships. I did the Tulip Time Netherlands & Belgium last Spring, Rhine Basel to Amsterdam & Seine Paris to Normandy & have enjoyed all. 

From what I’ve seen in port, Avalon’s excursion groups seem to be smaller vs Viking. I’ve talked to the guides in port & the ones I’ve met seem to prefer Avalon to Viking because they are treated better. That says a lot to me about how the company works. Granted, I haven’t travelled with Viking but I’ve been happy enough with Avalon so haven’t had the desire to look at another line. 

The food has been wonderful, wines change daily. Avalon includes beer & wine w/ lunch & dinner & also have a daily happy hour with free liquor drinks in addition to beer & wine. 

• Like 2