All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Okay awake now and an explanation, it’s a ringing stone you get a small stone and tap on this one and it rings, I kid you not a really clear beautiful tone. It’s one of the most amazing things to find half way up a Scottish mountain. According to the Scottish historian who first took us there no one knows who discovered it but it is very close to an ancient Bothy and close to what was once an ancient drover road.

image.thumb.jpeg.1bda4d2c86b2f9af6ab34eb57c2f8868.jpeg

The Bothy.

image.thumb.jpeg.dafe86c33f5a92b1fbe7ceb5668a5006.jpeg

Over the top, Bridge of Gairn close to the stone is an old military bridge.

• Like 1

I love your pictures and story, @Canal archive!  You’ve reminded me of a show I once saw where an entire group had found ringing rocks with different tones, and had learned to play music with them!  Thank you for sharing.

On 8/29/2023 at 1:33 PM, SnowshoeCat said:

I have a couple of questions along the lines of "Is Avalon right for me?"

I've only been on Vantage and Gate 1 and enjoyed them both. They were comfortable and casual. Am I correct in thinking that Avalon is a little dressier? How much? I know how to look neat and tidy (sometimes), but I also like to pack light.  Also, I'm a solo traveler. Will dinner be awkward, with me throwing off the symmetry of the table? I saw there's a bistro and I would be fine with that.

I'm researching a particular sailing because of the itinerary and because they offer biking and hiking excursions. They also advertise this as a wine tour where there will be a wine master on board. I'm not a wine drinker. I know I'm free to do what I want, but will it be considered rude if I skip most of the wine-related activities?

Thanks for any input.

I agree with the others, @SnowshoeCat.  Neat and tidy at mealtimes works great, and asymmetry was never a problem.  Everyone chatted together whether you were at their table or not.  😊

Also don’t worry about skipping any activities.  Really, everything kind of falls into place once you’re there.  All you have to do is enjoy.  

I let the courtesy hold lapse because I had something else going on the week before and scheduling was tight. Well, I got rid of the other "obligation" (I wasn't too enthusiastic in the first place), and now I need to crawl back to the agent to see if the offer is still available.

Thanks for everyone's input and experiences, both on the river and in the UK. I've got the Cotswolds planned for next spring and if I can't get on the cruise in October, I just might head to the UK. We don't have good scones around here.

• Haha 1

We're departing on our Avalon Rhine river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in about a month.  We received our updated travel packet from Avalon...like clockwork...yesterday.  Simply out of curiosity I looked at some of the upcoming departure "Docking Locations" on MyAvalon.  Looks like there are some HIGH-WATER issues on the Danube...and a few changed ship and changed departure locations because of it???

@moonriver54 yes, that's quite common amongst all lines with river levels. Usually at this time of year, it's because the water is on the low side, but this year it's the opposite. Don't worry, Avalon will do their best (and they do a great compensation in case you can't) to ensure you get to see everything on your cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonriver54 said:

We're departing on our Avalon Rhine river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in about a month.  We received our updated travel packet from Avalon...like clockwork...yesterday.  Simply out of curiosity I looked at some of the upcoming departure "Docking Locations" on MyAvalon.  Looks like there are some HIGH-WATER issues on the Danube...and a few changed ship and changed departure locations because of it???

Did it say where the high water was?  The Danube is a very long river.  

Just a few days ago they were doing low water swaps around Passau, which is a perennial low spot. 

2 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Looks like Nuremberg, Germany.  The Avalon Illumination is the replacement vessel...issued for the 03 SEP "The Legendary Danube" departure.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 10.04.41 AM.png

Nuremberg is the origination port. I wonder where the actual high water conditions are.  Seems unlikely to be anywhere in the canal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Seems unlikely to be anywhere in the canal. 

You are right. While the Canal can carry a lot of water due to precipitation, it is very much a man-made managed body of water and currently shows no high. This is Riedenburg, close to the confluence with the Danube:

image.png.e6cdff10cd2620bd533637bb49d3246f.png

The authorities try to keep the Canal at a level of no less than 400cm. The flooding comes from the Danube proper all the way from the upper part of the basin in Germany where Alpine rivers also join. Some additional water has also come from the Regen river which joins at Regensburg. So the Danube is fairly high from Kelheim to Budapest with waves going through that raise the level to mild or moderate flooding in some stretches.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, this will be our first river cruise Amsterdam to Paris on Imagery II. We are Princess folks usually but have a question about luggage and laundry. How is luggage handled to get from hotel to ship? Do we just shlep it ourselves or does Avalon somehow transfer to ship? Second, how is laundry handled on the ship? We will definitely need laundry services on the boat.

Thanks for any info, Chris

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martinitime1 said:

Hello all, this will be our first river cruise Amsterdam to Paris on Imagery II. We are Princess folks usually but have a question about luggage and laundry. How is luggage handled to get from hotel to ship? Do we just shlep it ourselves or does Avalon somehow transfer to ship? Second, how is laundry handled on the ship? We will definitely need laundry services on the boat.

Thanks for any info, Chris

If you booked the pre cruise hotel through Avalon, it includes transfer to the ship. They will handle one large suitcase per person. You’re suppose to handle your carry-ons yourself.  You’ll be able to store roll-aboard size carry-ons in the baggage bay of the motorcoach, if they use one. Otherwise, the van driver will store it. 
Once at the ship, a crew member(s)  usually will out front to take your bags.  If you’re early and your cabin is not ready, they will tag the bags and deliver it to your cabin when it’s ready. They may, or may not offer to handle your carry-ons.  Avalon/Globus policy for porterage is one bag per person. 

Laundry: there is a laundry service available.  It’s a little pricey but reasonable for the convenience.  We always do carry-on only and had never used the laundry service until last year’s 16 day Budapest to Amsterdam. 
There are laundry bags and tickets in the closet.  Fill out the form, put the clothes in the bag, and leave it on the bed. They’ll take it during the evening turn down service and it will be returned the next day. You can save some money, if you wish, by washing out smalls in the bathroom sink. There is a retractable clothes line in the shower. 
have a great time. We are ready to book Avalon cruise #6! 

• Like 1

Martinitime - Make sure you read the stickies for new river cruisers. River cruising is nothing like ocean cruises so make sure you are prepared for the difference. I know this thread is long but you may want to skim it, at least for posts post COVID. Ask any questions & you’ll get lots of answers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martinitime1 said:

Thank you Kenster for the info, we would usually do any needed mid-trip laundry in the machines on the ship but not an option on these boats, any other tidbits of info for us newbies to the Avalon world?

Join the “I Love Avalon Waterways” Facebook group. It’s very active and you can learn a great deal about Avalon in general and your cruise in particular. There are also many YouTubes about Avalon cruises, ship tours. Etc. 

@martinitime1, you don't say which cruise you are on, so can't offer specific help for the rivers or what to see. You also don't specify when you are going. If you are a FB member, you can join their page, they are very helpful. Avalon has a great reputation for solving problems as they arise, so don't worry about anything, pack some good walking shoes (or boots if travelling in the winter), and enjoy.

We leave for Budapest to start our Danube cruise on Saturday, it's been a long wait, but well worth it.

• Like 1

My very favorite part of an Avalon ship is the 24/7 espresso machine with lots of other choices.  I try to ignore the cookies set out in the rear lounge, but it's great fun to sneak up there in the late afternoon for coffee and treats.  Love the easy availability of ice as well.

30 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My very favorite part of an Avalon ship is the 24/7 espresso machine with lots of other choices.  I try to ignore the cookies set out in the rear lounge, but it's great fun to sneak up there in the late afternoon for coffee and treats.  Love the easy availability of ice as well.

Cruise ships are like websites:  they try to improve your experience with cookies!  But not everyone agrees with the concept...  [There are, after all, downsides; including loss of privacy and gain of avoirdupois]

11 hours ago, jsn55 said:

We can easily leave the cookies...it's making sure we are no where near the ship when 4:00 afternoon tea is served. DH has a bit of a sweet tooth, and I'll admit to enjoying the odd sweet as well. 🙂

31 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We can easily leave the cookies...it's making sure we are no where near the ship when 4:00 afternoon tea is served. DH has a bit of a sweet tooth, and I'll admit to enjoying the odd sweet as well. 🙂

I pretty much stick with a half sandwich and a cup of tea at Afternoon Tea. But it’s a struggle. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

Oh my, afternoon tea ... I'm with you, it is my policy to NEVER do afternoon tea.  I had a champagne tea with a friend once in London, some wonderful hotel.  I swooned for days over my first scone.  It would not be beyond me to gobble up every single goodie put in front of me.  We just can't have that, can we?

Edited by jsn55

Anyone out there done the Danube Black Sea to Budapest or beyond this year (or vice versa)?  We're doing Black Sea to Munich (Vilshofen) in October.  Haven't done an Avalon cruise, but have done different river cruises on Viking and Ama.  We're very interested in the lower Danube itinerary.  Any comments, thoughts, hints, etc.? I haven't seen any regarding that route.

• Like 1