Bermuda in June on the Anthem-Should WE?

We are looking at Bermuda in June on the Anthem with a family of 6 adults and 5 boys ranging in age 5-11. Can anyone help me with information. How is the weather in early June. Is the Anthem a good ship for the boys? The prices are rather high for that time of the year. Is there enough bang for the buck taking this cruise, at this time of year.

Two of the adults and all of the boys have never cruised. Any information and help from all of you, will be appreciated!!

I think the weather will be great and a great ship for the first time, although may spoil for future cruises! There will be tons of kids so perfect time to go for the kids to have friends. :-)

Thanks Panda3.

Do you have any idea how much ship movement there is in the part of the Atlantic.

I know the ship to start the kids out on, if we are going to cruise again with them. Expectations will be high, very high!

My wife and I will be sailing on the anthem of the seas June 2 with our two boys who are nine and seven years old. Their kids programs are incredible and they document everything they do with your children so you know what's going on at all times. They even have an in-room babysitting service for an extra charge. Otherwise, take advantage of all the free kids programs that run late into the evening hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ben600rr

Thanks Panda3.

Do you have any idea how much ship movement there is in the part of the Atlantic.

I know the ship to start the kids out on, if we are going to cruise again with them. Expectations will be high, very high!

You are probably asking about "this part of the Atlantic" because you may have heard about Bermuda cruises from the East Coast ports.

You are crossing the Gulf Stream which could give a ship motion on

even clear weather .

No way to predict , could be calm one way , ruff return , vice versa , or not at all but Bermuda is worth it .

My wife and I will be sailing on the anthem of the seas June 2 with our two boys who are nine and seven years old. Their kids programs are incredible and they document everything they do with your children so you know what's going on at all times. They even have an in-room babysitting service for an extra charge. Otherwise, take advantage of all the free kids programs that run late into the evening hours.

Perhaps we will cross paths during the sailing! :cool:

Usually by June the rough Atlantic waters where you'd be sailing are much more calm. Will be our first time trying to sail out of NY, but have heard good things. All of the newer Royal ships are perfect for every age! ;)

Have sailed to Bermuda from NY in May and June. We had calm seas in May and experienced some storms in June. The storms did not impact our ability to move about the ship or ship activities as our trip on Anthem into the storm this past February. It's a ship and you are on water. Mother Nature controls the weather and its impact on the seas so you never know what you will get.

Sea conditions are impossible to predict. We have been on five cruises out of Baltimore and Bayonne that have included transit to Bermuda at different times during the summer and have had some rough seas on some days and perfectly calm on others. Going again in July and it will be what it will be - there is no pattern or way to know.

As to Anthem, I'm sure you will enjoy the ship and the weather should be very nice in Bermuda and the waters very warm. Enjoy - one of our favorite itineraries!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think this ship is perfected for the boys(so much to do bumper car,skating ,wave rider,Rip cord,kids club and swiming)as for the two adult that never sailed a 5 day cruise is perfected for them to try it out. Your ship will be in port for around 30 hours!Bremuda is wonderful ,nice and easy to get the bus or a taxi to a beautiful beach,the crystal caves, and some many more family thing to do on a safe island!As for the ship we just sailed the anthem to Bremuda 4/30/16 sailing and we didn't have any problems with rough seas,and that was the only thing we were concerned with.The summer months are Bermudas high time of the year.The weather and ocean temps are just start to warm up now.so compared to other caribbean islands and Bahamas,It will be more expensive!

We are planning this cruise for June, 2017. I will look forward to seeing some posts from you after your cruise. These are good things to know about the kid programs. This will be a first for us to have young children along for the trip.

Thanks for all information! Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for all of the information. We are planning this cruise for June, 2017. My husband and I have cruised numerous times. We have never taken or been with "littles" on a cruise. This adds a whole new dimension. I will look forward to reading posts from you on your return!

You are probably asking about "this part of the Atlantic" because you may have heard about Bermuda cruises from the East Coast ports.

You are crossing the Gulf Stream which could give a ship motion on

even clear weather .

No way to predict , could be calm one way , ruff return , vice versa , or not at all but Bermuda is worth it .

Thanks for the input. We realize there is nothing more unpredictable than the weather!! This past winter and spring are perfect examples. Nice to hear that Bermuda is worth it. This will be our first trip there!

I think this ship is perfected for the boys(so much to do bumper car,skating ,wave rider,Rip cord,kids club and swiming)as for the two adult that never sailed a 5 day cruise is perfected for them to try it out. Your ship will be in port for around 30 hours!Bremuda is wonderful ,nice and easy to get the bus or a taxi to a beautiful beach,the crystal caves, and some many more family thing to do on a safe island!As for the ship we just sailed the anthem to Bremuda 4/30/16 sailing and we didn't have any problems with rough seas,and that was the only thing we were concerned with.The summer months are Bermudas high time of the year.The weather and ocean temps are just start to warm up now.so compared to other caribbean islands and Bahamas,It will be more expensive!

We chose the Anthem for all of the activities that will be available to the boys. Now, we just have to calm the fears of their parents! Thanks for the input!

As a previous poster titled their reply, I had to add: it will not be hot and muggy. If you are lucky it will be warm. But, it will likely be cool and very windy, particularly on the crossing over. Summer temps in Bermuda don't warm up until July and August, and the water will be cold (even the locals will tell you this).

Thanks to all of you who posted on this! I appreciate all of the information. I have forwarded all of your comments to my adult kids, to help calm their fears and questions.

Cruise Critic is always the best way to find out about a specific thing concerning any cruise. Checking cruise critic before a cruise or before booking a cruise has always been well worth the time!!

As a previous poster titled their reply, I had to add: it will not be hot and muggy. If you are lucky it will be warm. But, it will likely be cool and very windy, particularly on the crossing over. Summer temps in Bermuda don't warm up until July and August, and the water will be cold (even the locals will tell you this).

What will the chances be for the boys to use the pools and outdoor activities? This was a big concern for June. I know, weather is unpredictable, but I looked for average temps for that time of the year it has said low 70's. Low 70's no wind, outside swimming is doable. Low 70's and a lot of wind.....brrrrr.

No doubt about enjoying the ship -- she is lovely and perfectly designed for a young active family. My only concern is about the water temp in Bermuda. It's a lot further north than some people realize. We've been there on cruises in the middle of summer and think that Horseshoe Bay is one of the greatest beaches of all time. But on one cruise, we docked in Bermuda on Memorial Day weekend, and the water at Horseshoe Bay was so cold that your toes would cramp the second they hit the waves. It was a nice day on the beach, but the water was completely off-limits.

Guest maddycat
I think the weather will be great and a great ship for the first time, although may spoil for future cruises! There will be tons of kids so perfect time to go for the kids to have friends. :-)

Public schools in NJ and NY are still in session in early June so there will not be tons of kids on the ship. However, there are great activities for the children on the Anthem.

We are looking at Bermuda in June on the Anthem with a family of 6 adults and 5 boys ranging in age 5-11. Can anyone help me with information. How is the weather in early June. Is the Anthem a good ship for the boys? The prices are rather high for that time of the year. Is there enough bang for the buck taking this cruise, at this time of year.

Two of the adults and all of the boys have never cruised. Any information and help from all of you, will be appreciated!!

We're big RCCL fans, as our short cruising history will show, but the 5-day Bermuda cruise itinerary is "not enough."

We've done the Norwegian Breakaway 7-day Bermuda cruise and only covered 1/2 of what we wanted to do in Bermuda.

I'd recommend looking at the pricing on Breakaway, which was a really great ship (don't get me wrong, Anthem and Quantum are 'better ships in our opinion). It is the cruise length that doesn't make sense.

Just IMO.

Have fun either way.

Wanted to add my wife's comment re: first cruise. Whether Breakaway or Quantum, not much 'cruising at sea. The overnight set up only in Bermuda is unique versus the port hopping in most itineraries. Again, not much 'sea time for the 1st time cruisers.

I have done the 5 night Bermuda many times. I've gone in April, May, June, July and August. June is the perfect month, with a balance of warm weather and warmer water temps for swimming. The water won't be Caribbean-warm, but it will be NJ warm. When you hold off going until late July-August, you risk stormier weather; it also gets hot and muggy.

No way to know how rough it will be, but odds are good that it will be relatively calm. In all of our trips, our stormiest days have been end of July and August, but it wasn't the entire trip. We have had rough seas and like-glass seas on the same trip.

This itinerary is always expensive. 5 nights is short enough and the pier is drivable for a lot of people. I have found that guarantee categories usually have the best deals on this itinerary. I have also noticed that guarantees for 3 have been available quite often, something to look at as well.

I think June is a good time. Sailing the first two weeks in June tends to be significantly cheaper than later June and July. Unless you take the kids out of school to sail during the shoulder season (May, Sept, and Oct), the prices will be high.

As far as the ship, you may want to also look at the Breakaway out of NYC. The Breakaway has more outdoor amenities for the kids, such as slides and a ropes course. Anthem does not have waterslides, but leans more towards year-round indoor activities in the Seaplex such as roller skating and bumper cars. Your children may have a preference for the activities offered on one or the other ship.

In my experience with 4 people to a cabin, I found the Anthem cabins to be larger than the Breakaway cabins (especially the interior cabins). So you may want to consider cabin comfort in your decision.

I agree with Marci22, the deals can be found in a guarantee cabin. We booked a quad balcony guarantee for our June cruise. And believe it or not, but this cabin type was cheaper than the quad IS guarantee. We were assigned a balcony D2 cabin! (and we would have been happy with the obstructed view cabin). So, we ended up getting a Balcony D2 cabin cheaper than the cost of an inside guarantee.

The water temperature should be near 80 degree (warm for folks from the mid-Atlantic & northeast but cool for the folks from Florida) You can find historical average monthly air water temperatures in Bermuda here: http://www.bermuda-online.org/climateweather.htm

Edited by mpcaruth