Name tags on mailboxes

johnmik1

I understand the potential security concerns, but I like seeing all the levels people have obtained as I walk down the halls and often use the names to locate friends cabins on the cruise when I can't exactly remember their cabin numbers....I think it is a nice touch...I'm sure it is a pain for the cabin attendants though:confused:

So sad, with the world we live in, that we have to be soooo security conscious and aware, even on vacation

:(

Edited by hillslife

I guess we will have to bring one of our saved tags from a previous cruise.

If you are reading this, Princess, please leave the door tags alone. If a passenger wants privacy, they can remove the tag. I don't think that would be an inconvenience for the paranoid.

Do I use my actual name here?

When I am onboard the ship, I decide whom I want to meet and exchange names with. Advertising Platinum or Elite in the mailbox, might make the impression that there is something of value in our cabin. .

I think that indicates you are a little hung up on yourself. Being Platinum or Elite only indicates you have cruised a lot with the cruise line, not your riches. If you really do have a lot, you should buy your own cruise line, or at least cruise on something more upscale than Princess.

I think that indicates you are a little hung up on yourself. Being Platinum or Elite only indicates you have cruised a lot with the cruise line, not your riches. If you really do have a lot, you should buy your own cruise line, or at least cruise on something more upscale than Princess.

Really?:rolleyes: I don't care one way or another if my name and status is displayed at the door, but I don't see the need to insult people who disagree with me.

Looking forward to our next cruise and like having our names on the door, I have not heard of any security problems on any of our previous cruises have their been theft problems that anyone has heard of? Just curious...

We've met "couples" on cruises who are not married who rather not have their different last names on the mailbox to be viewed by any walking down the hall so they simply remove theirs ... no big deal.

Single women also had often rather not have others know they are alone in the cabin so simply remove it ... no big deal.

Some, like us, are not at all worried about any sort of any major security issue like theft ... BUT have had annoying telephone calls (waking us up in the middle of the night) asking for us by name and telling us to immediately report in person to the Passenger Services Desk or some other dumb thing. It takes so little to amuse some. :rolleyes: That's why we remove ours.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

DH has had one stuck on the door to the master bedroom in our house for as long as I can remember. He also starts placing Princess chocolates on my pillow and a room service menu on our bed about a week before we leave for a cruise. He's crazy, but he makes life fun. :D

That's so sweet of your husband :)

I like the name tags as it's a double check when I need to deliver or see someone from our roll calls about an excursion or whatever.

It's also a double check for us should we forget our cabin number. Maybe that's why some people decorate their doors/mail boxes?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

If Princess has stopped putting tags in the "mailbox", then I will just take a slip of paper at home before we sail and make my own tag with some kind of symbol on it so I recognize my own cabin. Maybe something as simple as cutting out the picture of the ship.....

+1

That is a great idea. I'm going to do it, too. Princess can't push me around. If they change the mailboxes to ones that don't have the slot, I'll tape it on. :D

+1

That is a great idea. I'm going to do it, too. Princess can't push me around. If they change the mailboxes to ones that don't have the slot, I'll tape it on. :D

Maybe we can bring old ones from prior cruises. That would cause confusion, especially from those who wonder why they don't have a name tag on their mailbox.

I don't like having my name on the door. I had forgotten Princess does this. I will remove it on my next cruise with them. If travelling as a solo female it is a significant safety issue.

One would think that everyone one on a cruise would be on the up and up. However in this crazy world:eek: I whole heartily have to agree it is a "SIGNIFICANT SAFETY ISSUE".

I like having my name outside my door.

We get a little tickle when we first see it.

We always take it on our way off the ship.

I hope they do not stop this...

Reader

BTW: If I did not like it ,I would simply remove it upon arrival :)

My feeling exactly. I know a lot of people don't like the name tage but I do. I also get a kick out of walking down the passageway and seeing the level designations. I don't look at the names, i look at the color of the Princess logo.

Edited by mammajamma2013
To add a thought

One would think that everyone one on a cruise would be on the up and up. However in this crazy world:eek: I whole heartily have to agree it is a "SIGNIFICANT SAFETY ISSUE".

I'm not sure I see how a name on a door is a significant safety issue? Cruise lines have been doing it or a variation of it forever and I have never read a single report of any criminal incident being linked to an individual using that information to commit a crime. I can understand if you're not comfortable with it, but I do not think it classifies as a serious safety issue.

Edited by Steelers0854

I hope they don't get rid of them. I have my room tags from every cruise.

I have my room tags from all three Princess cruises I've been on. :D

Edited by mammajamma2013
I never see the mistake until after I've posted. :-(

Hi All

This is really a non issue, Princess should just leave our name tags in our cabin,

then we can choose to put them on our mail box if we want.

Many of us like these little bits of paper as reminders of past cruises.

yours Shogun

They don't have them on the Royal.

Trying to locate friends we had to ask passenger service (they wouldn't give us their cabin number) to leave them a message to get back to us.

So the answer is, if you want the name tags back, keep asking passenger services for stuff related to room numbers and make such a pain in the ___ that they will find it more profitable to reinstate the tags. Even if you know the cabin number of your friends, tell them "I'm not sure which cabin is theirs...".

Several people have mentioned that they don't have the cabin number on their cruise cards any more so it's very helpful to have their name(s) on the mailbox.

On our March Emerald cruise, our cards did have the cabin number on them. It was a tremendous help to double check that number against the door number before inserting the card (as well as double checking whether we were port or starboard at the beginning of the cruise).

Yes, the thought of losing the card was scary and that's why I made sure I always had it with me.

I'm not sure I see how a name on a door is a significant safety issue? Cruise lines have been doing it or a variation of it forever and I have never read a single report of any criminal incident being linked to an individual using that information to commit a crime. I can understand if you're not comfortable with it, but I do not think it classifies as a serious safety issue.

Your absolutely correct, however the world has drastically changed in the last 10-20yrs in the respect of criminal behavior. So lets just say I am the "creepy middle age guy". All I would have to do is go up and down the hallways and see who is cruising solo. Then hang out in hallways to see the "solo" cruiser(s) and find an easy target. I know your on a cruise ship and you feel safe but there are a lot of bad people everywhere in this world today.

Besides, it's one more task for your steward to do prior to passengers boarding the ship. The crew have enough to do that's far more important than sticking little name tags by the door.

I suppose that the name tags are there more to assist the room stewards than anything else.

In their absence, I suppose that each steward would be required to memorize which names are assigned to which cabin in their area(s)...or carry a passenger registry around with them.

I imagine that there would be a lot more chance for error in delivering the wrong mail, and/or amenities to cabins in such a case where cabin #s (as an identifier) alone wouldn't suffice.

I suppose that the name tags are there more to assist the room stewards than anything else.

In their absence, I suppose that each steward would be required to memorize which names are assigned to which cabin in their area(s)...or carry a passenger registry around with them.

I imagine that there would be a lot more chance for error in delivering the wrong mail, and/or amenities to cabins in such a case where cabin #s (as an identifier) alone wouldn't suffice.

The room stewards have a list of everyone's name, age and country of origin. The names on the cabin are not for them.

Hi All

This is really a non issue

yours Shogun

I agree with you...Princess is creating an unnecessary problem (locating cabins for some passengers) by using privacy or security as their rationale which for those concerned about it they can simply remove their name tag.

If they want to conserve resources then stop giving us daily shopping advertisements that immediately go into the trash can.

It'll only generate more work for the PSD and probably result in more calls to security about "there's someone at my door trying to get into my cabin" when passengers go to the wrong cabin.

Whoever is paid by Princess to come up with such useless ideas should find another job...there was no problem & thus there is no need for a solution. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer