Amtrak to Vancouver

lmtrn2001

I would recommend being at the King St. station about 0700. You won't have to clear Canadian Customs until you arrive in Vancouver. I would also try to get a seat on the left hand side of the train for the more scenic view.

Edited by Putterdude

For those that have taken to Amtrak to Vancouver: We are booked on the 7:45am train...How early do you suggest getting to the train station prior to departure?

TIA

I'd say at least an hour before - ideally earlier if you want to guarantee getting a seat on the good side (left, for water views). If you want to check any bags, you MUST be there 45mins before departure - not in the queue, not a t the station, but physically hand bags over no more than 45mins before. That deadline is firm - I've seen people turned away who were queued up waiting before the 45min mark. Even if you are going carry-on, enough people want to check bags that most of the water-side seats could be gone unless you arrive about the same time as the bag-checkers.

If you can carry on all your bags and don't care about your seats, you can roll up 5 mins before departure no problem - unlike Southbound, no immigration at boarding only on arrival here in Vancouver. We have literally walked onto the train and barely had time to sit down before it pulled out on the northbound route - your travel docs are already on file, so there's no check done by Amtrak personnel.

If you do not have Business Class seats, I would get to the King Street station no later than 6:30 am. I know it seems early but we were there at 6 and there was already a huge line. Seats are chosen as you check in and in fact we couldn't even get seats together, despite getting there early and having Business Class tickets. Oh well.

I would also double check to make sure you train is running that day.

We were scheduled to take the train to Vancouver in 11 days.I went on their web site a few weeks ago to check the luggage rules,checked the price of our tickets(although we has aleady purchased them) noticed our train has been cancelled.

There was no notification from Amtrak .

I had to call to get my $$ refunded.

Now we are renting a car and driving to Vancouver!!

I agree, at least an hour prior. I also, always take either the light rail or city bus to get there. Both great, budget options, IF you pack light and can walk a couple blocks.

I see mentioned above that if you get there early you can get a seat on the 'good side'. I just want to point out that getting there early is no guarantee, we were second inline on a southbound trip and when we asked about please having a seat on the right side the person assigned us our seats (he had a major attitude) and they were on the left. Maybe he was having a bad day, who knows. Either way you can move around, only have to been in your own seats when conductor comes around to check tickets.

I am VERY glad I saw this thread before I left for my vacation. I would not have expected to be at the station more than 45 minutes prior to leaving. I'm not as concerned about being on the left side of the train as I am in making sure my luggage gets on it! :eek:

Knowing this now, I'll definitely be at the station by 6:30 at the latest!

By the way, we'll be getting off at Mount Vernon to spend the day with friends and then catching the train the following day there to head up to Vancouver. Does anyone know if there are there issues in getting luggage on board there? Again, not concerned about what side of the train we're on, just more concerned about luggage!

Edited by K.T.B.

If a vendor posts recommendations or guidelines, I tend to follow them.

Look on the Amtrak web site for RIDERS GUIDE. There is info under Baggage and Border Crossing.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

If you want to see some good photos of the Seattle station, train interior, scenery, seating, and Vanc disembarking in AryMay's 2014 trip report.

If a vendor posts recommendations or guidelines, I tend to follow them.

Look on the Amtrak web site for RIDERS GUIDE. There is info under Baggage and Border Crossing.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

If you want to see some good photos of the Seattle station, train interior, scenery, seating, and Vanc disembarking in AryMay's 2014 trip report.

That's very helpful!

Thanks!