Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

Progresso. The ramp to a Mexican navy ship fell in the water when the ship was pushed away from the pier by the thrusters on the Liberty.

Thats ridiculous, the thrusters don't work on the liberty! :rolleyes:

Maybe Carnival should send some people to remedial driving school.:p

No kidding. Just when it seems like Carnival is getting their act together regarding ship crashing, they go and do it again.

More information is slowly coming in. It appears the ship docking hit it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not much doubt about that. The electric motors on the ramp are designed to either electrically overload or break driveshaft shear pins when an obstruction is encountered. There isn't any way the ramp could have exerted enough force to tip itself over.

Not much doubt about that. The electric motors on the ramp are designed to either electrically overload or break driveshaft shear pins when an obstruction is encountered. There isn't any way the ramp could have exerted enough force to tip itself over.

The boys forgot to close the door on side of the boat. 100% captains fault.

The boys forgot to close the door on side of the boat. 100% captains fault.

That door is always open during docking and while at the dock. It is used for visual observation of the line handling, and the line tension while docked. It is the Captain's responsibility, and the ship is "at fault", but I will withhold judgement about whether the Captain is at fault until the USCG investigation is over.

More information is slowly coming in. It appears the ship docking hit it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course the ship hit it or else the event wouldn't have occurred, but was the ramp in it's required position? Was the ship coming in at the correct way? Is there a standard location where it's supposed to be? It just seems strange the whole thing happened in the first place. I wonder if there were security cameras there that might have captured the event.

Wow! Scary stuff. I hate those gangways. If there's any type of line inside them I start to get really uneasy. Especially because it gets pretty warm in there with me being claustrophobic and all. I try not to think about it but in the back of my mind I am worried about it collapsing. It has happened before and I just don't like them.

Hope no dock workers were hurt.

I have never once even considered it. I probably will now...

So glad no one was hurt though. I wonder how they got everyone off :confused:

The gangway had to have been extended too far. Funny. How the 4 cruises we took on the Pride didn't have the gangway set up until after the boat docked. Somebody goofed on shore I'd say. Glad nobody was hurt. They would have just docked from the lowest level with the dock like you do at some of the islands.

I have never once even considered it. I probably will now...

So glad no one was hurt though. I wonder how they got everyone off :confused:

Since I won't be on it until the ship is docked and moored, and the walkway extended and set in place. ..nope, probably not going to worry about it...

Now something else my friends who are afraid to cruise will add to their reasons why.:D

Tell them as long as they are not standing on the gangway as the ship pulls in, all will be fine.

Happy to hear no one was hurt. Saw this on the local news this morning. I had to stop by here to gather some more information. I guess it took a while to get everyone off through another exit.

So, who was actually "driving"? The Captain, the Staff Captain, or the Pilot?

The pilot does not drive the ship. The Captain is almost always at the controls when docking. Even if he's not, he's still the one responsible.

Well this is the one that I was referring to. I still hate them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/luxury-liner-death-toll-hits-15/

From reading the article, it seems to me what collapsed was a temporary gangway /gang plank built at the shipyard for workers to access the ship, not the more permanent gangway used at passenger cruise terminals. If someone can reference an incident where one of these collapsed, without the assistance of a multi-thousand ton cruise ship, then I might worry...

From reading the article, it seems to me what collapsed was a temporary gangway /gang plank built at the shipyard for workers to access the ship, not the more permanent gangway used at passenger cruise terminals. If someone can reference an incident where one of these collapsed, without the assistance of a multi-thousand ton cruise ship, then I might worry...

I believe you are correct, it was workers