Coral AK formal nights?

nu2crusin

We will not take any evening dress clothes on our trip. We will be on a land trip prior to the cruise and will not pack any dressy clothes. I assume that on the formal nights we can eat at the buffet. My only question is will my wife miss the lobster dinner by skipping the formal nights?

We will not take any evening dress clothes on our trip. We will be on a land trip prior to the cruise and will not pack any dressy clothes. I assume that on the formal nights we can eat at the buffet. My only question is will my wife miss the lobster dinner by skipping the formal nights?

Crown Grill will have the lobster every night

I assume that on the formal nights we can eat at the buffet. My only question is will my wife miss the lobster dinner by skipping the formal nights?

IMO, the lobster in the MDR isn't very good to begin with. If you want to pay for the better stuff, the CG is the way to go.

Yes, you will be able to eat at the buffet. I have never seen lobster on the buffet

They have the following according to the menu:

Tris d'Aragosta (loster three ways) in Sabatini's

Red pepper butter brioled 8 oz lobster in Bayou Cafe ($5 additional charge)

Edited by nyc12345

I am hoping that I can get better Lobster in the Bayou Cafe. We do plan on dining there one night. And, I might try it.

This restaurant has gotten some good feedback by a recent cruiser on the Coral.

Might be well worth it.

Too bad they increased the surcharge for these restaurants! Now, when you add the extra Lobster, it is a significant cost!

Edited by Wishing on a star

I carry my own shirt, cumberbund, tie and vest but rent the tux. I then feel good because I have my own shirt on. Don't know why. We love formal nights as we live 50 miles out and hardly ever dress up for anything.

I have a friend. He keeps trying to convince me he’s a compulsive liar, but I don’t believe him.

We are on the Coral May 28th northbound AK. What nights are the formals?

More specifically - Does anybody know (not a guess) what days the formal nights are on the Coral's northbound Alaska voyage? I want to see if this may affect port activities.

More specifically - Does anybody know (not a guess) what days the formal nights are on the Coral's northbound Alaska voyage? I want to see if this may affect port activities.

Which sailing, specifically? No, probably no one can give you a definitive answer, but the educated guesses you get will be useful. Since formal nights tend to be on sea days, port activities will not be affected.

We don't worry about dressing up too much anymore. If you are nicely dressed, (for men a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt, maybe a tie), (for women, also slacks or a skirt and a sparkly top), you'll be fine. No need for a tux!

Really, as long as you are not in shorts and a T, you'll probably be fine.

If I want the lobster (such as it is)this is how I'll dress and I've never had a problem getting into the dining room.

Nothing is ever set in stone, so we're all "guessing" that what we've had will be the same as you. However, it will not impact port activities, I promise you that. Princess wants to sell a lot of spa services, and that pairs well with putting formal night on a sea day or as close to a sea day as possible. When we were on the Coral for a NB, formal nights were the second night (at sea enroute to Ketchikan) and the sixth night (after scenic cruising in Glacier Bay), and it was the same on the Sapphire NB. As a comparison, on our Seattle RTs, it was the second night (at sea enroute to Ketchikan) and the sixth night (at sea, in transit from Skagway to Victoria).

Plain and simple, they're not going to do it the first night; muster drill is mandatory and it'd interrupt me shaving my legs or something. They're not going to do it the last night; they want your suitcases in the hall as early as possible. They're not going to do it if the ship is in port past 5pm that day, and they probably won't do it if the ship is in port past 2pm.

We just got off the Coral yesterday and did not go to formal night(s). We missed the lobster and unless you go to the MDR you'll miss the lobster. However, one day at lunch on Lido, they served shrimp that was the size of lobster tails. I could only eat 2 of them. When word got out that they were there, they disappeared fast. People were carrying off 2 plate fulls of it. Go to Sebatinis if you must have lobster and you don't have to dress up to get it. You'll pay the $25 to eat there, but it beats lugging fancy clothes along just to eat lobster. JMHO