Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

To be honest, I don't doubt there are people who get tips removed, (Im not suggesting you've made it), but I'm not the sort of person who would chase people down the street because they havent left a tip, or evesdrop on other peoples conversations especially when its none of my business. My last night will be caning cheers! lol

Your comment suggested that people who disagree with the gratuity policy just get tips removed because they are tight. I merely pointed out I disagree with it, but have paid in advance but would prefer employers to pay staff properly. I'm not suggesting to you i can change how things work - I'm just saying my preferences.

I think its fair to say its appreciated there is a cultural difference... but were the people you heard American? (And just being cheapskates). I'm guessing it will be?

I trust you do at least understand (despite whatever differences we have) my gripe is that i dont agree with the actual policy. I'm all for staff to be paid fairly... and i would prefer them just to add the amount into the fare which covers this. Its what ive done already effectively and cant be reversed afterall!

I understand your point. Just saying what happens. I have no idea in their nationality but the majority of Carnival cruisers are American.

I'm sure I read it on here!

I didnt book direct, but through a TA, so I expect it would be nigh impossible to get them to give me a refund when I get back?

Rhetorical. I would not do that.... and to be honest, I didnt even know you could cancel non paid tips until someone said they'd heard people doing it.

any tips, prepaid or not, can be adjusted up or down or completely removed during a cruise. the money would go onto your shipboard account and would lessen your final bill or be refunded.......via check i believe.......if greater than 5 us dollars. if less than 5 dollars they give the money to some charity but i'm not sure which. if you want cash instead of a check sent to your home you can use the slot machine method.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Are you saying someone doing the same job as an American on the ship should earn more than someone who isn't? We've outlawed discrimination in the UK.

Can I ask why you think tips shouldn't be taxable? Why should someone waiting tables be exempt from taxes from their employment? I appreciate its likely they wouldnt declare what theyve been given, but that would be illegal in the UK. Its part of someones earnings.

As someone who doesnt get tipped, I'm happy with that.

first of all, i lived in england for 2 years so please don't spew the gibberish that discrimination has been outlawed. discrimination is alive and well in england as it is elsewhere.

that being said, yes there are different laws for ships with american crews than there are for ships without american crews. you can check out the ncl boards for the pride of america as it has an american crew because it sails only in american waters and only to american ports.

why shouldn't a tip be taxable :confused: really :confused: you think the government should have a piece of a tip when given as well as a piece of the tip when reported as income :confused: please go back and read what i wrote. if the tip were put into the base price, it would be taxable to the giver. if paid as port charges it would not be. why should the giver be taxed on something given :confused:

if you seriously think this type of taxation is okay it's no wonder england is no longer sovereign of the seas and was one of the reasons for the revolutionary war.

it's funny that i've never seen a cruise ship flying the union jack but i bet it's because of the tax laws in britian. unless a ship is flying the union jack, england's tax laws are a moot point.

Edited by Computer Nerd

It proves no such thing.

I personally would very much prefer staff to be paid properly and the fact I've prepaid gratuities, proves you are incorrect since that's nonrefundable and effectively part of the cost of my cruise.

I agree....also some people prefer to pay cash for tips, the amount they determine is appropriate for the services they feel go above and beyond.

Actually why it proves is that is people don't want it part of cruise fare as (as opposed to tipping). They just don't want to pay it at all.

The "people" aren't the ones that came up with this pay plan. Yet some seem to suggest the "people" should be held hostage to it.

Odd that someone said they "listen" at guest services to the transactions taking place their.

first of all, i lived in england for 2 years so please don't spew the gibberish that discrimination has been outlawed. discrimination is alive and well in england as it is elsewhere.

And how long ago was those 2 years? I can assure you discrimination laws are extremely strict. We are held hostage to the PC brigade.

And I can assure you that UK employment laws are taken very seriously. You cant just sack someone because you no longer want them working for you either.

that being said, yes there are different laws for ships with american crews than there are for ships without american crews. you can check out the ncl boards for the pride of america as it has an american crew because it sails only in american waters and only to american ports.

Where it sails is irrelevant. Though I'm unsure the point you are trying to make here.

why shouldn't a tip be taxable :confused: really :confused: you think the government should have a piece of a tip when given as well as a piece of the tip when reported as income :confused: please go back and read what i wrote. if the tip were put into the base price, it would be taxable to the giver. if paid as port charges it would not be. why should the giver be taxed on something given :confused:

Im confused too! You've just asked "why shouldn't a tip be taxable"... Thats my standpoint. Its income - it should be taxed. Why should someones income not be taxed while everyone else's are?

if you seriously think this type of taxation is okay it's no wonder england is no longer sovereign of the seas and was one of the reasons for the revolutionary war.

I expect you support Google, Amazon and Starbucks not paying taxes they should be paying to Europe as well?

PS what revolutionary war are you talking about? Are you bringing up tax on Tea now?

it's funny that i've never seen a cruise ship flying the union jack but i bet it's because of the tax laws in britian. unless a ship is flying the union jack, england's tax laws are a moot point.

I really am totally lost with whatever the point you are trying to make is?

If a UK cruise ship left UK waters and sailed to foreign parts outside of the EU, then there would be no tax paid on any purchase. Why is that a problem? You also wouldn't be forced to pay a tip since the crew would be paid a decent wage.

PS Out of curiosity, if you needed open heart surgery and had no insurance to pay the hospital bill, what would likely happen? Off topic I know, but since you are questioning the UKs tax laws, maybe keep things a little balanced. It doesn't matter if you have paid an Insurance premium (which I suspect makes our tax look small!), just answer as if you dont have.

PPS the answer for me is, it would cost me nothing and I wont be billed or hounded.

Edited by les37b

The "people" aren't the ones that came up with this pay plan. Yet some seem to suggest the "people" should be held hostage to it.

Odd that someone said they "listen" at guest services to the transactions taking place their.

Your right the "people" never come up with it. They follow the cruise line's policy (or not). Over the top with "hostage"? It is the recommendation (accepted by the vast majority of cruisers) of the cruise line and commonly held by all cruise lines.

Nothing odd about it I was not trying to "listen" to anyone's conversation. We travel in groups and have on occasion need to work with guest services during the cruise to arrange things (near the end of the cruise it ,mainly has to do with special needs during debarkation). One could not possibly not hear the loud banter going on as people 3 feet away are trying to enact what I have previously stated. It's fact, it happens, and a lot. I have other reasons for being there as well over my cruises including two medical emergencies where we were using GS satellite phones to contact and arrange things for our group members as well. Are these reasons for "listening" sufficient for you? We can discuss further if you would like...

Your right the "people" never come up with it. They follow the cruise line's policy (or not). Over the top with "hostage"? It is the recommendation (accepted by the vast majority of cruisers) of the cruise line and commonly held by all cruise lines.

Nothing odd about it I was not trying to "listen" to anyone's conversation. We travel in groups and have on occasion need to work with guest services during the cruise to arrange things (near the end of the cruise it ,mainly has to do with special needs during debarkation). One could not possibly not hear the loud banter going on as people 3 feet away are trying to enact what I have previously stated. It's fact, it happens, and a lot. I have other reasons for being there as well over my cruises including two medical emergencies where we were using GS satellite phones to contact and arrange things for our group members as well. Are these reasons for "listening" sufficient for you? We can discuss further if you would like...

We can't move on? :D:p

Most def can, just replying to alluding remarks to an earlier post. Maybe by the time this thread runs its course there will be another tip increase.

Or someone will be shot for not leaving a tip.

I agree that sometimes conversations at GS are impossible to not overhear, as the people are either loud or they are standing right next to you.

I personally don't follow the cruise lines suggested $ amount of tip per day per person. I choose to tip in cash to whom I choose based on the service I receive. We tip our room steward well, in cash, as well as serving personal in the MDR. May tip bartenders, but usually not much as we are already charged 15%.

I agree that sometimes conversations at GS are impossible to not overhear, as the people are either loud or they are standing right next to you.

I personally don't follow the cruise lines suggested $ amount of tip per day per person. I choose to tip in cash to whom I choose based on the service I receive. We tip our room steward well, in cash, as well as serving personal in the MDR. May tip bartenders, but usually not much as we are already charged 15%.

Sometimes you can't help hearing, but repeating what you heard to others? My dad had a term for that.

And how long ago was those 2 years? I can assure you discrimination laws are extremely strict. We are held hostage to the PC brigade.

And I can assure you that UK employment laws are taken very seriously. You cant just sack someone because you no longer want them working for you either.

Where it sails is irrelevant. Though I'm unsure the point you are trying to make here.

Im confused too! You've just asked "why shouldn't a tip be taxable"... Thats my standpoint. Its income - it should be taxed. Why should someones income not be taxed while everyone else's are?

I expect you support Google, Amazon and Starbucks not paying taxes they should be paying to Europe as well?

PS what revolutionary war are you talking about? Are you bringing up tax on Tea now?

I really am totally lost with whatever the point you are trying to make is?

If a UK cruise ship left UK waters and sailed to foreign parts outside of the EU, then there would be no tax paid on any purchase. Why is that a problem? You also wouldn't be forced to pay a tip since the crew would be paid a decent wage.

PS Out of curiosity, if you needed open heart surgery and had no insurance to pay the hospital bill, what would likely happen? Off topic I know, but since you are questioning the UKs tax laws, maybe keep things a little balanced. It doesn't matter if you have paid an Insurance premium (which I suspect makes our tax look small!), just answer as if you dont have.

PPS the answer for me is, it would cost me nothing and I wont be billed or hounded.

i'm sorry. if you don't understand sarcasm then there is no way i can get you to understand anything else i'm saying. suffice it to say i'm thankful that cruise lines are not run the way the british government or you think they should be run.

i'm sorry. if you don't understand sarcasm then there is no way i can get you to understand anything else i'm saying. suffice it to say i'm thankful that cruise lines are not run the way the british government or you think they should be run.

I'm sure people who avoid paying tax by hiding money in offshore accounts would agree with you, though I'm usure why you think that cruise companies have any choice about tax laws. Do you really think they do?

PS. I understand sarcasm very well. It's something people claim when they've made themselves look silly. :D

Nice to see you answer the question on your worldly travels. :rolleyes:

We pay the suggested and additional for impeccable service, generally from the steward and assistant, and the head waiter and assistant.

I don't understand why someone would remove their tips, even if there was a problem somewhere along their cruise. I've yet to meet a lousy wait staff or room steward. Some better than others, but all worth their basic tips.

We pay the suggested and additional for impeccable service, generally from the steward and assistant, and the head waiter and assistant.

I don't understand why someone would remove their tips, even if there was a problem somewhere along their cruise. I've yet to meet a lousy wait staff or room steward. Some better than others, but all worth their basic tips.

You don't say what you do when you get less than or inferior service.

But you certainly don't have to understand about what someone else does with their tips. Not all are worth their basic tips. And the sooner they quit, the better for the rest of us.

You don't say what you do when you get less than or inferior service.

But you certainly don't have to understand about what someone else does with their tips. Not all are worth their basic tips. And the sooner they quit, the better for the rest of us.

I don't know what the other poster would do, but if it were me receiving poor service, I would go straight to their Supervisor and let them know what is going on. Then I would fill out a survey card on the ship. Lastly I would mention the person by name that gave me poor service in my post cruise survey.

Those things would have more of an impact on their employment with Carnival than anything. I wouldn't waste my vacation at GS removing a few bucks.

I will add that I have never received bad or inferior service on any cruise.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I don't know what the other poster would do, but if it were me receiving poor service, I would go straight to their Supervisor and let them know what is going on. Then I would fill out a survey card on the ship. Lastly I would mention the person by name that gave me poor service in my post cruise survey.

Those things would have more of an impact on their employment with Carnival than anything. I wouldn't waste my vacation at GS removing a few bucks.

I will add that I have never received bad or inferior service on any cruise.

Not me. I hit them right in the wallet.

And you're lucky. We had a guy so bad he was fired at the end of the week.

check the source. it could be all smoke and mirrors. ;)

Yeah I know. I'm just saying if it's true they must have been terrible. I bet they wouldn't have gotten fired or wanted to quit just by people removing tips, but rather by people complaining via the proper channels like I previously mentioned.

Carnival really does pay attention to complaints (and compliments) onboard and after the fact in the surveys.

I guess I am very fortunate like the PP said not to have experienced less than stellar service. I attribute that to my strikingly good looks and my shining personality [emoji4]. Just kidding.

But I think the attitude of the guest has a lot to do with the kind of service you receive. I am always very nice and pleasant with the crew. They have hard, thankless jobs and I'm on vacation. Why wouldn't I be in a good mood? It doesn't cost anything to smile and be polite. They aren't below me. They are people with feelings that work extremely hard and I am thankful for them.