Capabilities of computers onboard

HI-C-Dubs

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows what the capabilities are of the computers onboard. We don't really want to bring a laptop but it would be nice to be able to clear my memory cards once in a while and just plop the data on a DVD or a portable hard drive. I was looking at a WD MyPassport Wireless but apparently the SD card reader is unreliable, and at best very slow.

So can I download my pictures/videos from a SD card onto other media using the onboard computers? Or is there a service like this provided on board? Or any suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance in advance! :D

The computers in the Internet Cafe have only one function: paid internet access.

The CPUs at each workstation are locked in a cabinet. No access to the USB ports or card readers.

No office software or even any capability of composing offline.

No games.

And since the addition of the Princess at Sea app as the logon/home page there are no longer shortcuts to the log in screens of popular web mail or social media sites.

So bring some extra memory cards. Though they are sold at the photo gallery--for around four times their cost at home.

Edited by fishywood

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows what the capabilities are of the computers onboard. We don't really want to bring a laptop but it would be nice to be able to clear my memory cards once in a while and just plop the data on a DVD or a portable hard drive. I was looking at a WD MyPassport Wireless but apparently the SD card reader is unreliable, and at best very slow.

So can I download my pictures/videos from a SD card onto other media using the onboard computers? Or is there a service like this provided on board? Or any suggestions?

No sub stick, no DVDs

They did at one time offer to burn your card to DVDs, but I don't think they do anymore.

Hello everyone!

Memory cards are so cheap that I just take a good supply of them when travelling. I use new ones for each trip, and keep them as an offline backup of my photos.

Hello everyone!

There are no computers on board for passengers to use

What are the keyboards in the internet cafe connected to?

From time-to-time, I see card readers on ships.

It is very random. I think the idea is that you

could attach a picture to an email you are sending,

not backup the contents of the card.

A few years ago, the photo desk would back up your memory

cards to a cd for a price. The price was always more than

buying extra memory cards.

Cards are really, really cheap now.

As others have said, simply buy enough storage to cover your needs.

Hello everyone!

If you google 'sd card backup' you will find lots of choices. They are generally all pretty expensive though.

Edited by hijinks

There are computers in the internet café available for passenger use. Some have a drive for the memory card, but they are read only. Nothing on these computers can be written to. In theory, you could upload your pictures from the card to an email or to the cloud, but this would get real expensive for any volume of pictures.

Memory cards are so cheap that I just take a good supply of them when travelling. I use new ones for each trip, and keep them as an offline backup of my photos.

Say what? They aren't nearly cheap enough to match the price/GB of external hard drives, even with multiple drives for backup.

There's also something to be said for high-speed cards. Even if your camera can't use all of their speed, card readers can, and your next camera might be able to use their speed.

A few years ago, the photo desk would back up your memory

cards to a cd for a price. The price was always more than

buying extra memory cards.

Cards are really, really cheap now.

CDs aren't big enough. DVDs aren't big enough. Heck, I suspect a Blu-Ray disc isn't big enough for some of the largest cards out there. Cards are somewhat cheap, but the big+fast ones aren't. We take enough cards to get through 1.5 days, and take laptop+drives so we can store our stuff and reuse the cards. I've refined the process over the years, so at most it's an hour to download a day's shooting (which for us probably eclipses most others in a week), and sunrise they're validated on two drives (good enough for me to format and reuse the cards). By dinnertime they're validated on a third drive, and those three drives go home in three different suitcases.

CDs aren't big enough. DVDs aren't big enough. Heck, I suspect a Blu-Ray disc isn't big enough for some of the largest cards out there. .

Omg!! Haha I forgot about that- imagine trying to fit a 64GB SD card of data on a 4.7GB DVD!! Hello 14 DVD's!

I guess the only option IS to grab more memory. I guess I'm just not super keen on having so many memory cards, but I'm also not keep on spending $180+ for a mediocre solution.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app