Anthem to keep Dynamic Dining

Hi Groucho,

We sailed from the UK on the Anthem last August and hated dynamic dining. Having cruised for over 25 years mostly with RCI we like a regular dining table with the same fellow diners joining us each night, so really couldn't get used to queing each night waiting for a table to become available. It all semed too clinical for us.

Maybe it was just that the ship was too big for us, and we still have nightmares about those IPAD's that had to be used to book anything, took all the relaxation out of the cruise.

But, each to their own, we didn'enjoy the ship at all, but I know a lot of folk do.

However it hasn't put us off using RCI, as we already have 3 more cruises booked with them for this year and the next, but on the Radiance class.

Regards

Hi Groucho,

We sailed from the UK on the Anthem last August and hated dynamic dining. Having cruised for over 25 years mostly with RCI we like a regular dining table with the same fellow diners joining us each night, so really couldn't get used to queing each night waiting for a table to become available. It all semed too clinical for us.

Maybe it was just that the ship was too big for us, and we still have nightmares about those IPAD's that had to be used to book anything, took all the relaxation out of the cruise.

But, each to their own, we didn'enjoy the ship at all, but I know a lot of folk do.

However it hasn't put us off using RCI, as we already have 3 more cruises booked with them for this year and the next, but on the Radiance class.

Regards

I hated Dynamic Dining at first (Quantum in Nov 2014), but now they have Dynamic Dining CLASSIC, which is like the traditional dining you favor. You have a set dining time, table, tablemates and wait team. You are assigned a rotation through each of the complementary dining rooms. Your table is in the same location in each room, and your tablemates and wait team follows you. It works out very well and totally changed my opinion and experience on Quantum class ships.

Hi Donna,

Your response sounded quite interesting, and is certainly a step in the right direction, so maybe we will have another look at these big ships one day when booking a cruise.

I have to admit that we much prefer the smaller ships, (max guests 2000), as we find them much friendlier, and so much easier to meet new friends, to relax with and chat.

It was so frenetic last year on the Anthem, queing for almost everything. We couldn't even get seats in the theatre because they had all been booked by wise cruisers before they joined the ship. Certainly worth remembering that it's very important to pre-book shows at least a month before you join the ehip if you want to be certain you will get into the theatre watch them.

So thanks for your comments. Very interesting.

Regards

Rod

Edited by ImRod

Hi Donna,

Your response sounded quite interesting, and is certainly a step in the right direction, so maybe we will have another look at these big ships one day when booking a cruise.

I have to admit that we much prefer the smaller ships, (max guests 2000), as we find them much friendlier, and so much easier to meet new friends, to relax with and chat.

It was so frenetic last year on the Anthem, quing for almost everything. We couldn't even get seats in the theatre because they had all been boked by wise cruisers before they joined the ship. Worth remembering that it's very important to pre-book shows you want to be certain you will get into the theatre watch them.

So thanks for your comments. Very interesting.

Regards

Rod

I've been on Anthem twice in the past 2 months. WE were able to get into shows that we didn't prebook by using the satndby line, which wasn't very long and didn't have a long wait. We were also able to book things once we got onto the ship. It wasn't as difficult as it was for Quantum last year (or even for Allure a few years ago). I think RCI is addressing some of the complaints and trying to fix things. Honestly, we didn't like Quantum, but we enjoyed Anthem (we still prefer traditional ships, but Anthem sails from our homeport, so we will likely be booking her again)

We feel the same. Had a disappointing Quantum Inaugural but our March Anthem was really good. We were able to switch dinner reservations onboard without a problem. We had mostly great experiences with the crew. The shows were good also.

I didn't like the Dynamic Dining on Ovation.

One of the negatives was the menu choice. I'm vegetarian and there was only one choice of main every night. I've always had an acceptable choice of mains on the other ships.

I didn't like the Dynamic Dining on Ovation.

One of the negatives was the menu choice. I'm vegetarian and there was only one choice of main every night. I've always had an acceptable choice of mains on the other ships.

Just ask for other options.

Hi Groucho,

Regards

You'd like DD classic. We are all ready for Anthem August 25 cruise and are signed up for the classic in which you retain the same tablemates and waiters, but you rotate to the 4 complementary restaurants. By the way, we had a great time with the regular DD on the Quantum and met many pax even though we had table for 2.

Hi to all. Wife and I were on 1/26/16 anthem shortened cruise 12 nights down to 11 with itinerary change, we loved the ship but food was not good. We're diamond level and elite on celebrity, loyal to a fault, love rcl and celebrity. Anthem was great so much to do but food and dining room service was the worst ever. I trust what I read on cruise critic, love all the information and opinions, so I am asking any and all of you who have been on anthem recently how you felt about the food and dining room service? Please post honest opinions. We are hoping it's gotten better as we want to go again in January 2017. Thanks for any thoughts.

We were on the March 27th, 12 nights. We always found something good to eat. If we didn't like something we ordered something else. We ate in all complimentary restaurants. The buffet was good for lunch, too crowded at breakfast. The wait staff was very helpful explaining dishes and making suggestions.

Hi all. I'm really struggling to grasp the dd concept. I haven't sailed RC in several years, so I will be experiencing it for the first time on Anthem in June. My understanding is you rotate between 4 dining rooms every night. However, I was also told that if you did not want to go to a particular dining venue, you could skip it and go to a different venue. Is that true? Assuming it is, do you just show up at the venue of your choice and get seated depending on availability? Any and as much help and information you all could provide will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Hi all. I'm really struggling to grasp the dd concept. I haven't sailed RC in several years, so I will be experiencing it for the first time on Anthem in June. My understanding is you rotate between 4 dining rooms every night. However, I was also told that if you did not want to go to a particular dining venue, you could skip it and go to a different venue. Is that true? Assuming it is, do you just show up at the venue of your choice and get seated depending on availability? Any and as much help and information you all could provide will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

If you have DD Choice, you can go to any dining venue you want any night.

If you have DD Classic, if you want to go to one of the 4 "free" dining room venues, then you have to go to your assigned one.

Hi to all. Wife and I were on 1/26/16 anthem shortened cruise 12 nights down to 11 with itinerary change, we loved the ship but food was not good. We're diamond level and elite on celebrity, loyal to a fault, love rcl and celebrity. Anthem was great so much to do but food and dining room service was the worst ever. I trust what I read on cruise critic, love all the information and opinions, so I am asking any and all of you who have been on anthem recently how you felt about the food and dining room service? Please post honest opinions. We are hoping it's gotten better as we want to go again in January 2017. Thanks for any thoughts.

On Anthem right now, doing DD classic. Fantastic service, pace is perfect, food comes out at the right temperature. It is a refreshing change to our experience on the Quantum. The complaints I have heard are from those who want to do walk up dining and cannot be accommodated. The menu choices are more limited than on the other ships, ie fewer salads, no cold fruit soups at dinners,no escargot, but we are wishing DD was available on some other ships. The specialty restaurants are all full, probably because of the limited space in the four main restaurants.

Escargot is always available in The Grande (so are lobster tails)

We were on Anthem 3/5 and 4/30, and have no complaints about the food or MDR service. It seemed they were trying extra hard to address all the issues and complaints.

Although they don't advertise it, you can order from the menu of the other restaurant across the hall because the two on the same floor share the same kitchen.

We have DD Classic right now on Anthem and love it. Always something of interest to order and the food has been the correct temperature.

Only one entree I didn't like, the short ribs in Silk, it was like dry pot roast chunks. The pad Thai the first time there was excellent and everyone has loved the meals.

We dined twice in Grande and everyone was happy to get escargot and lobster tails.

For our table of 8 starting at 8:30 pm and always done by 10 pm. Excellent service!

If you have DD Classic, if you want to go to one of the 4 "free" dining room venues, then you have to go to your assigned one.

We have DD Classic for our upcoming cruise. I will probably not want to eat at Silk at all because I don't enjoy asian inspired food. I was told by RCI that I should just let the waitstaff and tablemates know if we were not coming to dinner so they wouldn't wait for us, and that we could eat anywhere else, we just wouldn't have reservations and would have to wait for a table. Would that not be the case?

We have DD Classic for our upcoming cruise. I will probably not want to eat at Silk at all because I don't enjoy asian inspired food. I was told by RCI that I should just let the waitstaff and tablemates know if we were not coming to dinner so they wouldn't wait for us, and that we could eat anywhere else, we just wouldn't have reservations and would have to wait for a table. Would that not be the case?

Can't tell you for sure because I don't have any direct experience with DD Choice. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Ok, that makes sense. If I have Dynamic Choice, can I go whatever time I want each night? Lastly, is only 1 of the restaurants formal attire?

Ok, that makes sense. If I have Dynamic Choice, can I go whatever time I want each night? Lastly, is only 1 of the restaurants formal attire?

Correct, DD Choice gives you the best flexibility. Only Grande is formal, and that is relaxed on the first and last night.

How formal is Grande?! Men in jackets or just a dress shirt with tie? Ladies in a dress or formal night sequins? Argh!!! Need to pack...

It's not so formal at all. Just dress nicely (no shorts/flip-flops). The only real requirement is that men wear a jacket, and they will provide loaner jackets at the door.