Is there any difference in a "port hole" cabin and a regular "window" cabin?

Hflors

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally called HAL and moved to another cabin. We don't qualify for a h/c cabin and I really agree with HAL. Not knowing if we will need a h/c cabin or not is a good reason that these cabins need to be held for people who already need them. I also think dh and I would have felt very "funny" about the booking.

My darling husband assures me that he will be able to get into a shower by then. He said since our cruise was so long we really needed a larger cabin. So we re-booked a cabin on the promenade deck right next to the doors outside.

HAL told me on the phone that the cabin we originally booked was only 153 sq. ft. and the cabin we are now booked in is 198 sq. ft. When you will be in a cabin for more than a month that extra 40 some sq. ft. will really make a difference.

Anyway I just wanted to come back and let everyone know what we decided. Thanks everyone for giving such good advice.

PS - If dh can't use the tub I guess he will just need to shower in the gym. I think that is what people do when there are too many in a room for getting ready.

PS - If dh can't use the tub I guess he will just need to shower in the gym. I think that is what people do when there are too many in a room for getting ready.

Hflors: If DH isn't able to manipulate the tub, have you considered using a bathbench & a leg lifter? The showerhead can be removed and handheld in a seated position. A leg lifter, if needed, can easily fit into your suitcase. If you aren't driving to the port, you might check with HAL to see if they have a bathbench or arrange a rental from the local DME that delivers.

As an OT, I also would suggest that DH might consider wearing water shoes while showering (in room or in gym). Even if he can manage without DME, ship movement can challenge standing balance.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would err on the side of being able to go on the cruise over "what will people think if I'm in a HC cabin". People who really need a HC cabin book when they are ready just like everybody else. AND if can't get a HC cabin they wait for a cruise that does have it -- just like everybody else. I DO understand -- I have my own mobility problems and Sis has Parkinson's. We hate to think of ourselves as elderly but to my dismay I heard TV reporters calling a crime with an elderly 65 year old victim. --so it must be true!:D

Do ask for the H/C cabin. Inside or oceanview the bathroom area on most that I have seen is very large -- enough to get the wheelchair in (and a great place to store the wheelchair at night! I would very seriously suggest that you consider a power wheel chair (mobility cart). There is always 5 or 6 delivered to the cruise ship each cruise. That way you are not battling the pain and exhaustion of walking the huge ship and can come and go as you want. I have used the "mobility vehicles" on our last 5 Disney World times just in the park portion. I can not tell you how much more fun it is with wheels. I can go all day and I don't spend all night in agony of sore knees and back. I am also much more independent -- I can't stand someone having to drag me around and tiring out my spouse because I have certain parts that are "older" than others. It is what it is PAINFUL. The one disadvantage is having to use the elevator to go deck to deck so therefore sometimes a wait. When I am going into some place to eat or see a show I leave the cart outside. I also find that I am just a little more unstable on the ship so even if I am "doing good period" I carry a cane for balance at sea or in port with cobblestones uneven etc. I also accept the fact that if the sea is rougher or it is a tender port -- I just might have to stay on board for a relaxing day. I have considered one of the rolling walkers with a seat -- really pretty great to have a place to sit instead of stand in line or sit while guide lecturers. My knees and back have done well for 70 years but they need consideration now. AT LEAST I am still going.

REPEAT AFTER ME: H/C cabins go to people who ask for them on a first come first serve basis. You have as many reasons for having H/C cabin as anyone else -- painful knees that may or may not be in the same condition for the whole month you are onboard. Plan for the worst and enjoy however.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally called HAL and moved to another cabin. We don't qualify for a h/c cabin and I really agree with HAL. Not knowing if we will need a h/c cabin or not is a good reason that these cabins need to be held for people who already need them. I also think dh and I would have felt very "funny" about the booking.

My darling husband assures me that he will be able to get into a shower by then. He said since our cruise was so long we really needed a larger cabin. So we re-booked a cabin on the promenade deck right next to the doors outside.

HAL told me on the phone that the cabin we originally booked was only 153 sq. ft. and the cabin we are now booked in is 198 sq. ft. When you will be in a cabin for more than a month that extra 40 some sq. ft. will really make a difference.

Anyway I just wanted to come back and let everyone know what we decided. Thanks everyone for giving such good advice.

Thank you so much for letting us know what your settled on. I think you made a good decision and hope you have the very BEST cruise!!

I'm a little confused... it seems you booked an OV (which has a tub) and it's on Lower Promenade deck - the deck with the doors to the outside but you will find that those rooms are shorter than OVs on Main or Dolphin. They have a loveseat instead of a full sized couch. I've been in them on Amsterdam and Maasdam. I don't know the sq footage but if you give us the room number we can give you real experience information and probably photos... unlike HAL reps who unfortunately don't know as much about the ships as the customers. The advantage of the Lower Promenade deck is the wonderful proximity to the outside deck, but those OV rooms are not full size compared to insides and the other OVs on Main or Dolphin decks.

We are booked on a 48 night cruise and considered an H because I usually like the Lower Promenade for proximity, but went instead for an F on Dolphin deck for the extra space and full couch, so I understand the desire to have some more square feet.

I just want you to have the information you need to make the choice that's best for you, considering all the trade-offs, plus full healing to be able to have a great cruise! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Having had both a window and a porthole, I think there is a huge difference. If you booked a porthole you might as well have saved some money and booked an inside cabin. The porthole is basically useless as it gives you practically no viewing of the outside unless you stick your nose right up to the recessed glass. It also does not offer as much light in the cabin as the much larger window cabins.

Yes, there is a sofa in the room so you can store your wheelchair.

You are missing a slightly major difference between a porthole cabin and an inside cabin. In an inside cabin, you have no idea w/o looking at a clock whether it is daytime or night time outside. You may not get to see much in a porthole cabin but you do get some outside light and you have an idea of what time of day it is.

DON

I'm a little confused... it seems you booked an OV (which has a tub) and it's on Lower Promenade deck - the deck with the doors to the outside but you will find that those rooms are shorter than OVs on Main or Dolphin. They have a loveseat instead of a full sized couch. I've been in them on Amsterdam and Maasdam. I don't know the sq footage but if you give us the room number we can give you real experience information and probably photos... unlike HAL reps who unfortunately don't know as much about the ships as the customers. The advantage of the Lower Promenade deck is the wonderful proximity to the outside deck, but those OV rooms are not full size compared to insides and the other OVs on Main or Dolphin decks.

We are booked on a 48 night cruise and considered an H because I usually like the Lower Promenade for proximity, but went instead for an F on Dolphin deck for the extra space and full couch, so I understand the desire to have some more square feet.

I just want you to have the information you need to make the choice that's best for you, considering all the trade-offs, plus full healing to be able to have a great cruise! m--

We booked cat D cabin 3371 Hal says it is 198 sq. ft.

We booked cat D cabin 3371 Hal says it is 198 sq. ft.

HAL is wrong.

Take if from people who have sailed on the ships, and been in the cabins. The outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck are smaller than the outside cabins on the lower two decks. They are even smaller than the inside cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck.

HAL is wrong.

Take if from people who have sailed on the ships, and been in the cabins. The outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck are smaller than the outside cabins on the lower two decks. They are even smaller than the inside cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck.

Thank you Ruth for corroborating my experiences. I do hope the OP can find a cabin to their liking, big or small, shower or tub. m--

Thank you Ruth for corroborating my experiences. I do hope the OP can find a cabin to their liking, big or small, shower or tub. m--

You're more than welcome. I wanted to cast a "tie-breaking vote" so OP can make a decision based on reality, not what Seattle is telling her.

If I were OP, I would seriously consider an inside cabin on Lower Promenade. They have the advantage of a large shower, which OP says is important. They are also very close to outside, which is enjoyable.

You're more than welcome. I wanted to cast a "tie-breaking vote" so OP can make a decision based on reality, not what Seattle is telling her.

If I were OP, I would seriously consider an inside cabin on Lower Promenade. They have the advantage of a large shower, which OP says is important. They are also very close to outside, which is enjoyable.

I agree with a vote for an inside. Especially since my experiences with the Lower Promenade deck OVs which have the head of the bed under the window so it's more difficult to enjoy the window, particularly while having to look out across the walking deck, through the railing or around other obstacles like a post we had once. I used to think those rooms were so wonderful but now not so much. In an Inside I can have my bow cam channel "window on the world" and I sleep with an eyeshade anyway! What's become more important to me is having a couch we can both fit on without feeling squished. m--