Celebrity Press Release 5/12/16 - Celebrity Completes Millennium Makeover

Andy

Somewhat of a hijacking of the thread but ........

Can anyone report that they got an explanation from someone at the corporate level about why the 4 Ocean Liner specialty restaurants were removed from (or will be removed from) all the M class ships?

I am aware from people I know in the restaurant business that a themed restaurant has a life span of 3-5 years. After that customer interest fades and if you own one of these, you re-theme it. Maybe that's what's up.

Regardless, after multiple cruises on the Century class ships before the introduction of the M class ships, Millenium being the lead ship in this class, we sailed Millenium on a Panama Canal itinerary. We were stunned and impressed by the 5 Star quality of the Olympic Restaurant.

Subsequently, we've sailed and dined in all the Cruise Liner themed specialty restaurants aboard the M class ships and loved them. Even as MDR service and food quality took a step back, these restaurants never did.

While we're fine with the Tuscan concept, in my opinion removing these very special and varied by ship restaurants and replacing them with a homogenous brand of the Tuscan Grill was a stupendous marketing mis-step on the part of Celebrity Corporate. I just don't get it. We'll sorely miss these fantastic dining experiences.

As an aside, I had heard talk that these specialty restaurants were experiencing a decline in reservations and that was behind the move. I'd offer it wasn't that the restaurants were not being enjoyed at all, it was the exorbitant up charge associated with dining there that commenced several years back.

Agree about the charge, I'm doing Tuscan on my cruise to Bermuda next month for one reason only, my TA gave me a free Specialty dinner. Haven't done one in years.

Somewhat of a hijacking of the thread but ........

Can anyone report that they got an explanation from someone at the corporate level about why the 4 Ocean Liner specialty restaurants were removed from (or will be removed from) all the M class ships?

I am aware from people I know in the restaurant business that a themed restaurant has a life span of 3-5 years. After that customer interest fades and if you own one of these, you re-theme it. Maybe that's what's up.

Regardless, after multiple cruises on the Century class ships before the introduction of the M class ships, Millenium being the lead ship in this class, we sailed Millenium on a Panama Canal itinerary. We were stunned and impressed by the 5 Star quality of the Olympic Restaurant.

Subsequently, we've sailed and dined in all the Cruise Liner themed specialty restaurants aboard the M class ships and loved them. Even as MDR service and food quality took a step back, these restaurants never did.

While we're fine with the Tuscan concept, in my opinion removing these very special and varied by ship restaurants and replacing them with a homogenous brand of the Tuscan Grill was a stupendous marketing mis-step on the part of Celebrity Corporate. I just don't get it. We'll sorely miss these fantastic dining experiences.

As an aside, I had heard talk that these specialty restaurants were experiencing a decline in reservations and that was behind the move. I'd offer it wasn't that the restaurants were not being enjoyed at all, it was the exorbitant up charge associated with dining there that commenced several years back.

I completely agree, both about the loss of the distinctive decor and the exorbitant fees. I'm even less likely to pay that fee for Tuscan than I would be for Ocean Liners. The only explanation I can find is the push for "Modern Luxury." The Ocean Liners restaurants were Old Luxury -- French cuisine, attentive service but many courses and table side preps that led to leisurely dining, and the decor gave the restaurant a more formal feel doesn't jibe with today's casual lifestyle. I'm happy not to have to pack a suit, but sad to see these lovely restaurants go.

PS -- in this NYC suburb steakhouses seem to be the "old hat" cuisine that is dying, so Celebrity may be on the trailing end of this trend ;)

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I also agree. We are very disappointed. So did they turn BO5 to the Sushi ? Hoping not.

Wife and daughter onboard currently.

Yes BO5 was converted to Sushi on 5.

Very pricey - all A La Carte !!!

They are B2B, Celebrity used to offer free BO5 for B2B.

We will see what happens now......

Yes, it will be interesting to see. We got 2 free coupons for B on 5 on our recent B2B2B on Millennium. We only used one of them because the service was so bad. We left after 45 minutes of waiting for our entree and still no sign of it. I guess they knew B on 5 was going to go. The prices on the new sushi menu are outrageous.

We will be doing a b2b on Millennium later this summer. If BO5 is now sushi, I don't care whether it is free to me or not, I am not interested.

The change will make a lot of sense for Celebrity especially on that ship as it spends half the year in Asia and attracts a lot of Japanese guests. In January 2016, the Bistro on 5 was also very popular with mostly Asian guests on the Asian cruise I did on Millennium.

Not sure I'll bother but may give it a go one evening.

Thanks for the information.