Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

The ship is required to return to the estimated site of the incident, unless the government agency involved releases the ship. Cruise ships are not the best platform to perform SAR in open oceans, so once governmental assets, from whatever country has taken lead, are on site, they will generally release the ship.

Loss of one of 6 thrusters would have absolutely no effect on Liberty's ability to perform a SAR mission, unless it was blowing a full gale, in which case the ship would be released even sooner. Even without thrusters, there are pre-designed turning procedures that can bring a ship back to its original track line, not just a reciprocal course, but the exact track line within a couple of ship lengths.

Chang:

I love reading your posts on all the different forums. The information you provide is so grounding. Nice to have factual info as sometimes these boards get kooky with speculation.

I really appreciate that you take the time to follow these threads and provide such insight.

My dad is a Kings Point alumnus. He's also from Maine-

Thanks again

Last June we were on Norw Getaway and they have the system. A woman jumped overboard and the minute the system picked this up a large buoy was automatically put in the water and the ship very quickly turned around. They ended up rescuing her I believe because of this equipment. Getaway is a newer ship, would be great like you said if other ships were required to add it.

Thinking of her family. I know how devastating it is to have a missing loved one.

We were on Getaway as well in June- was it on the first night of the cruise before 11pm? if it's the same trip it turned out to be a cushion of some sort that was tossed by some drunk guy .Withing 5 minutes of the Oscar Oscar call I had a woman next to me sobbing that she had seen the lady jump. Security came and got her and it turned out that she really didn't see anything. I have to say I was blown away by the rapid response. I had been walking through the the Haven lounge, the call rang out and the staff flew in to action. It was pretty amazing. I was on deck 16 and it seemed as though the entire ship was silent.

It may well be a different trip but whatever mechanism Getaway has in place truly impressed us.

Very possible. But it would've likely been discovered sooner and handled in the early morning hours. And 2000-3000 people may not have been locked in their rooms on vacation.

My husband and sons are on the Liberty, they were not locked in their cabins. They were asked to go to their cabins so that the crew could do a headcount and search the ship.

Everyone complied and the captain and the CD kept them informed during the

search.

My family's room steward came into there room to count them and look around.

From what my husband has told me the passengers moved with a purpose to their cabins to let the crew do their jobs.

Tracie

My husband and sons are on the Liberty, they were not locked in their cabins. They were asked to go to their cabins so that the crew could do a headcount and search the ship.

Everyone complied and the captain and the CD kept them informed during the

search.

My family's room steward came into there room to count them and look around.

From what my husband has told me the passengers moved with a purpose to their cabins to let the crew do their jobs.

Tracie

Geez. I didn't mean that literally. But it's the same thing. Everyone had to be in their rooms.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like utter BS. How could anyone know that unless they were there to see her performance?

Typical Facebook nonsense.

Indeed- total nonsense.

Why can't people get used to the fact that there are folks who commit suicide on a ship, or do really dumb things that kill them?

Guests aren't allowed at the bow of the ship unless they are on a ship tour. That is a crew only area.

Our cabin that we have had on the Liberty 3 times, 2 times in the last 2 years allows us bow access on deck 10. We stood out there every morning and evening. They are walk away view cabins-4j handicap

Edited by deborahjo

Geez. I didn't mean that literally. But it's the same thing. Everyone had to be in their rooms.

I did not think you meant it literally, but never know, the point I was trying to make was the passengers, at least on serenity where my husband was, were all talking to each other about it and were willing to do anything to help the crew. They had been paging her name for quite some time and were showing her picture and asking if anyone had seen her. They didn't think about spending some of their vacation in their cabins they were concerned for the woman and how long it had been since she was last seen.

Tracie

Our cabin that we have had on the Liberty 3 times, 2 times in the last 2 years allows us bow access on deck 10. We stood out there every morning and evening. They are walk away view cabins-4j handicap

As are the "Secret Decks" on 6 and 7. However, if they were truly trying to recreate the scene from "Titanic", that would require them to be at the true bow of the ship which is the part that sticks out and that is a Crew only area. I think it's on Deck 2 or 3.

If she fell from in front of any of the 4J rooms, she would end up on the decks below, not in the ocean.

Edited by firemanbobswife

As are the "Secret Decks" on 6 and 7. However, if they were truly trying to recreate the scene from "Titanic", that would require them to be at the true bow of the ship which is the part that sticks out and that is a Crew only area. I think it's on Deck 2 or 3.

If she fell from in front of any of the 4J rooms, she would end up on the decks below, not in the ocean.

She fell from deck 10, according to the ABC News reports. See the video here:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/coast-guard-searching-missing-carnival-cruise-passenger/story?id=39109181

There is no validity to any report about scenes from Titanic being recreated. Please stop promulgating that. It's Facebook garbage and it's silly.

Edited by triptolemus

She fell from deck 10, according to the ABC News reports. See the video here:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/coast-guard-searching-missing-carnival-cruise-passenger/story?id=39109181

There is no validity to any report about scenes from Titanic being recreated. Please stop promulgating that. It's Facebook garbage and it's silly.

I'm just trying to clear up what I meant. If it was true, she would have been on deck 2 or 3 where guests aren't allowed. That is all.

Indeed- total nonsense.

Why can't people get used to the fact that there are folks who commit suicide on a ship, or do really dumb things that kill them?

You are so right! On the Coral Princess a worker was working on the elevator. We all heard about the worker who got crushed to death on a Carnival ship elevator recently. I asked him about it and he said the worker made a mistake, he took the safety off. We can all speculate about that - suicide? Fact is, none of us will ever find out what happened and why it happened, it just did. It's the people who are left behind that suffer the most. I've had 2 suicides in the family, it does leave an empty hole.

The Liberty sure has had a bad run of rotten luck lately. Starting with the noro outbreak, then the couple killed in Cozumel on the moped, then the lady on our sailing that drowned, then the thruster issue, now this. Yeesh..maybe they need to hire a priest or something.

All silliness aside though, I feel so sad for this lady and for her family. I can't even imagine how awful this must be for them.

I was thinking the same. Need a Priest, Rabbi, Buddhist Monk, Mayan Priest, Wiccan, Tom Cruise, Hindu, Shaman, Imani, Voodoo Priest, and any other religious figure to bless this Ship and rid it of it's bad Juu Juu.

update on the news

They also mention MOB systems as unreliable......

The only problem I have with ABC news on this story is it's ABC, owned by Disney, who owns a Cruise Line. Ever notice ABC is quick on the sensationalism with a Cruise problem, except for Disney Cruise, (Cue "Dirty Laudry"

We were on Getaway as well in June- was it on the first night of the cruise before 11pm? if it's the same trip it turned out to be a cushion of some sort that was tossed by some drunk guy .Withing 5 minutes of the Oscar Oscar call I had a woman next to me sobbing that she had seen the lady jump. Security came and got her and it turned out that she really didn't see anything. I have to say I was blown away by the rapid response. I had been walking through the the Haven lounge, the call rang out and the staff flew in to action. It was pretty amazing. I was on deck 16 and it seemed as though the entire ship was silent.

It may well be a different trip but whatever mechanism Getaway has in place truly impressed us.

Must have been a different week, we left June 6th. This occurred around 7pm I think. We had just finished eating and abruptly the ship went sideways and we heard calls and knew something happened. They dropped a lifeboat and we saw them bring her back on board. She was held in the infirmary until our next stop and an ambulance took her away once the ship docked. I went to a Q&A where the Captain was asked tons of questions about it which was very informative. Like you, we were very impressed with how quick the staff reacted to the incident. I would say it only took about 30-45 minutes to retrieve her.

Still thinking of her and her family. I know this is extremely difficult.

Indeed- total nonsense.

Exactly.

Very tragic. Suicide is very hard thing for families and loved ones to accept. But I don't get why strangers have a problem accepting that this is often the case with folks who go overboard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You weren't close to the bow, and by that I mean over 100 ft. The deck 10 cabins have easy access to an observation area, and below it is more of the ships structure. There's a raised platform and the brass bell as well as deck area with a crew sun area.

The bow is not accessible for any guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While deck 10 has forward facing access, it is not the bow. Deck 4 is the highest deck that goes all the way to the bow, so if you fell off the forward walkway on deck 10, you would land on the ship, not in the water.

We were on the Grand Princess going to Hawaii. Two days out of San Francisco, this woman jumped over board. She warned people she was going to do it. Apparently her husband had passed away a year to the day she decided to jump, and she couldn't bear to live without him any longer. She had also been drinking. She jumped over on the Promenade deck (deck 7). The shipped stopped and they searched for her for 8 hours. We missed our first port, people were furious about it. They never found her. No one knows what goes on in people's head or their circumstances to make them want to do themselves in. It makes it a bad day for everyone. So sad.

she warned people and they didn't lock her up so she couldn't do it :confused: or did the people she warned not tell the crew :confused:

There's some term for that call to the sea. Add a little alcohol apparently it calls louder to those that are suicidal.

Bummer for her, her family, and every passenger on board. It certainly sets that mood that could actually affect the cruise.

Must have been a different week, we left June 6th. This occurred around 7pm I think. We had just finished eating and abruptly the ship went sideways and we heard calls and knew something happened. They dropped a lifeboat and we saw them bring her back on board. She was held in the infirmary until our next stop and an ambulance took her away once the ship docked. I went to a Q&A where the Captain was asked tons of questions about it which was very informative. Like you, we were very impressed with how quick the staff reacted to the incident. I would say it only took about 30-45 minutes to retrieve her.

Still thinking of her and her family. I know this is extremely difficult.

We left the following week. That's an amazing story- can't believe that someone survives such a fall!