I'm not cruising to reach Elite...

brianlojeck

For the record, my cruise card stays in my pocket next to my cell phone, and it's never been demagnetized.

I just want the laundry service... And the free booze... And the tender related benefits.

Edited by brianlojeck

Really...

I can quit whenever I want...

Yep... I use to say that too. Now I accept that I am addicted and there is no cure... All I can do is feed the cruise craving by booking early and often :D.

Accept your fate... Go ahead... Hit the book button... You know you want to lol :D

You are in good company then. I think most of us don't wear lanyards for that reason. :rolleyes:

Cruising is an expensive addiction but it pales in comparison to the cost of others, so I'm happy. But don't cruise solely to achieve a loyalty level. Like most things in life, it's the journey, not the destination that is most important.

We will achieve platinum status after this coming cruise. We travel with my Mom (91 going on 92) who is an Elite member. I retire in 7 long years, which will make 42 yrs as a commercial airline pilot. My wife wants me to chase Elite status on those 1-2 day cruises. For LAUNDRY. I can get anywhere for free, so it's only my time and the cruise fare.

After reading your posts concerning laundry she figures she'd rather have me at home, then chasing possible damaged laundry and a free mini bar set-up. I figure we will get those perks, by enjoying ourselves on cruises vs chasing a few free perks.

I'd like to stick to ship transportation after my retirement, but living on an island does force you into getting back in the high speed tube to get somewhere. Oh well, grandkids on West coast so I'll have to suck it up.

Thank-you very much for your laundry reviews and getting me more time at home.

Mahalo, Tim

For the record, my cruise card stays in my pocket next to my cell phone, and it's never been demagnetized.

I just want the laundry service... And the free booze... And the tender related benefits.

DH demagnetizes his card at least once a cruise when he carries it near his phone.

We have 2 cruises booked for March 18 2017. One Pacific coastal on Princess which is 1st choice and gets us to platinum.. The other is on Celebrity to the Caribbean which is a cheaper fare plus no flight or hotels pre or post cruise....so lower cost on a line I have been wanting to try as I am intrigued by their Mediterranean internaries. But the lure of California and getting to platinum is almost irresistible.! Good thing I have until November to decide!! The more Princess cruises I take the harder it is to move unless price and itinerary are much better somewhere else.

We use "getting to Elite" as a reason to take all these short cruises. Everytime we say "never again", and then we book another. Maybe we are trying to convince ourselves it is OK to have to book two busses, a skytrain, . and a cab in order to spend 18 hours on a cruise ship to get us one step closer. We will reach Elite soon, and then we will need to think up another excuse to book these overnight cruises. We have tons of fun each time we go.

I will not be carrying my "black" card around my neck because I hardly wear anything ever around my neck. I do have a Platinum wedding ring...lol

I will enjoy the mini bar set up. Will reduce my onboard account from an average of $20 per day to $10 per day as we are not big drinkers.

Keep on cruising everyone, for whatever reason. It is never bad to have goals.

OP... Of all the addictions there are out there, you have one of the best. :)

But don't be cruising just for elite... Be cruising because you love it and your DW does too. Eventually the benefits come :D

Let's see if after this first cruise I'm not addicted as well..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Really...

I'm not sitting here trying to find the most efficient set of cruises to take... I'm not trying to talk my wife into a suite to Ensenada...

Really...

We didn't start out, or, have even kept cruising, to be Elite. We just enjoyed cruising and then after one of those enjoyable cruises it happened. Who knew? Just go for that suite (someday maybe we will have the opportunity for one) and have fun.

BTW, no you can't......:D

I don't advertise every cruise I've been on. Nobody cares! Do YOU? It's either 4 or 6. First thing to go is your memory. What's the second? I forget.:eek:

I don't count or keep track either. Nor do I look at others signatures. I wouldn't think of booking short cruises to achieve a particular loyalty level. I go on vacation purposefully to enjoy a particular place, or to rest and relax. And cruises are balanced with land travel because there are just some places that need to be explored in depth.

Basic to the human condition is the need to belong and the need for being part of a community with similar interests. John Watson , psycologist has stated that this need to belong will affect motivation and persistence. And there are many who cruise and post who are concerned about their standing within the community.

But I will say, you cannot downplay the wisdom and experience of all of the people that have cruised extensively. They have contributed enormously whether they advertise or not. So live and let live, and if it bothers anyone that people advertise their social standing, come back to reality and and remember there is way more to life than being elite on a particular cruise line.

Really...

I'm not sitting here trying to find the most efficient set of cruises to take... I'm not trying to talk my wife into a suite to Ensenada...

Really...

You're making me laugh. I'm trying to talk DH into taking his second cruise. Elite is a LONG way off!

Re: lanyards. Is it crass of me to wear my newbie cruise card on a rhinestone lanyard? Struck me as 1) the best way to keep track of said card and 2) have "jewelry" too. Never occurred to me to think of it any other way.

I don't advertise every cruise I've been on. Nobody cares! Do YOU? It's either 4 or 6. First thing to go is your memory. What's the second? I forget.:eek:

Is there a way to hide signatures in the board settings?

will be on my 1st elite cruise on emerald princess in August, can you give me an idea of what will be in our complementary mini bar set up??

Here is what we had on our last two cruises.

Two of each of the following:

Courvoisier (50ml miniature bottle)

Beefeater Gin (50ml miniature bottle)

Skyy Vodka (50ml miniature bottle)

Dewar's Scotch Whiskey (50ml miniature bottle)

Dos Equis Beer (12oz bottle)

Tonic Water (12oz can/bottle)

Coca Cola (12oz can)

Sprite (12oz can)

Bottled water (0.5 Liter)

Perrier (11oz bottle)

Re: lanyards. Is it crass of me to wear my newbie cruise card on a rhinestone lanyard? Struck me as 1) the best way to keep track of said card and 2) have "jewelry" too. Never occurred to me to think of it any other way.

Maybe it is. If so, I am crass, too. It never occurs to me to look at people's lanyards to see what loyalty level they are. It DOES occur to me that people who wouldn't wear a lanyard because it advertises their elite status are probably way too hung up on their status and that of others. In other words, they are peeking. :D

A lanyard is for convenience; pure and simple.

can we pay extra for extra minutes??

250 minutes seem enough to me but with 2 teenage boys I don't think it will touch the sides!!

Yes you can pay for more minutes. But I don't know how much it will cost. Are your boys pass PAX with Princess too? If they are Platinum or better, they will get free minutes too.

Yes you can pay for more minutes. But I don't know how much it will cost. Are your boys pass PAX with Princess too? If they are Platinum or better, they will get free minutes too.

If the boys are under 18, then they are not Platinum - even if they've had enough cruises. No one gets any Captains Circle benefits until they are 18.