My Solstice Trip to Alaska May 6, 2016

JimHam4

Oh my - wonder if that's why they have now changed it to allocated times for each deck. Hopefully they pretty much stick to allocated time and it will be less chaotic. Although I am sure for some it can be impossible.

Problem is everyone wants to get on before lunch and some decks are allocated as late as 3pm...

Will see how it works out - we are aiming for out 10.30am slot.

I've had allocated times before in Ft. Lauderdale. There didn't seem to be any difference between the the sailing we had it and the sailing we didn't, but neither time was bad. I think the problems is had in Vancouver were a combination of Celebrity actually shortening boarding time by an hour (starting t 12) and CBP cutting personnel later in the day.

Day 2 - At Sea, The Inside Passage (part 1/3)

I wake around 5:30am and find a grey morning outside my window to greet me. If I’m up, might as well head to the gym; from Deck 11 it’s up one flight of stairs and all the way forward with a little bit of time outside in the pool area, could have stayed inside the entire way if I had gone all the way forward and used the forward stairs or elevator.

The Gym is a decent size with a variety of free weights, weight machines, treadmills and bikes. There are even rowing machines and an elliptical. The gym is surrounded on three sides with windows to watch the scenery go by while you work out and around a corner is a small open area where they could (do?) have aerobics. There are gym towels and a water fountain and they even pump in some music (too mellow for my tastes when I’m working out I prefer a little angry metal).

After my workout I decide to explore the spa area a bit and find the Persian Gardens. Access is by keycard and there is no problem since I am Aqua Class, not sure how they do it if you have to buy the pass for access. The Gardens are nice, and the windows to the outside certainly brighten it up more than the Constellation’s but I think they could get crowded real quick as they don’t seem much larger than that on the Constellation. I find the relaxation lounge which I believe would be open to anyone, not just those with Persian Garden access, and the blue loungers in front of the large forward facing windows appear to be a great place to relax and watch everything go by. Later in the week when my wife goes by during her spa trip she says the chairs were all full and it didn’t appear anyone was going to move even though signs up say to please limit yourself to 20 minutes.

I walk out to the Aqua Spa Cafe and decide to have a little recharge. They have a variety of lighter breakfast foods such as fruits and muesli. They also serve fresh juices and smoothies. I enjoy their smoothies but they are not people in the US are use to; these are more like a thick juice than the more shake like ones we have here. The muesli is good, filled with grapes, apples and bananas and makes me look forward to the table side stuff in Blu ( a little foreshadowing, I’m not going to find it in Blu this trip).

The Aqua Spa Cafe

_DSC2055_zpsvhqhgnam.jpg

Day 2 - At Sea, The Inside Passage (part 2/3)

I walks a few laps before heading back to my cabin to shower and get ready for breakfast with the group. Aqua Class showers are great and this cabin has capsule like doors rather than the regular doors on the Constellation that always seem to leak if you don’t close them just right. While waiting for my wife to finish getting ready I decide to take some pictures off our balcony of the inside passage and notice we’re being chased by a Princess boat as we catch a glimpse of her around the corner every now and then.

The Inside Passage

_HAM6985_zpsekpvzqje.jpg

Playing Hide & Seek with Princess

_HAM6995_zpsvondyb2h.jpg

_HAM7020_zpsbgq6p7nm.jpg

Since one our couples isn’t Aqua Class we decide to have breakfast all together in the MDR instead of Blu. The dining room is impressive and most of our group likes the looks of it; I like the white and silver, could do without the pink neon touches. One of the reasons I like to book Blu is the exclusivity of it. I don’t mean it in a snobbish way, but I enjoy the smaller venue and I think the service is just a little better than I’ve had in the MDR. This MDR looks like it might be quieter than the one on the Constellation, it certainly doesn’t feel as crowded, although that might just be a symptom of it being breakfast time. I have to say I was disappointed in breakfast here, some of it was the MDR’s fault and some of it Celebrity’s selection of food. Service was very slow and it took a while to get our drinks (just coffee, water and juice) and our glasses weren’t refilled all that quickly. Food wise I found their omelettes to be flat, not light or fluffy like I could find at most any breakfast place. Their hash browns looked like slightly larger versions of what you would get at McDonald’s; the preformed oval shapes that come frozen and just have to be heated up. I decide the rest of the week I’m having breakfast in Blu or at the Buffet, the spa cafe doesn’t count that’s just to hold me post workout until everyone else wakes up.

After breakfast we head forward to the Sky Lounge for some general trivia. We can be a little competitive in our trivia so we try to make at least a couple of sessions a trip to get it out of our system. This morning’s session was all around knowledge, but I know they offered other types throughout the day (I’ll try to post the Dailies later if I can find them). They allowed teams of up to 6 and asked you to trade answer sheets to check answers. Trivia this morning was put on by Chiko who did a good job and the prizes were “crap” to quote Chiko before the game started. My wife and I lost by one point, all because of a stupid 50/50 Michael Jackson question. Oh well, didn’t need those luggage tags anyway.

Day 2 - At Sea, The Inside Passage (part 3/3)

The Atrium

_DSC2053_zps5qgn22he.jpg

The Main Lobby

_DSC2051_zps0wtclrhj.jpg

One of many watch sales

_DSC2044_zpsvnliikid.jpg

At some point we clear the Inside Passage and the seas get a little rough. The boat feels like it’s moving but I’m not sure if it feels worse because it’s all been so calm til now, or if it really is rough. The scenery isn’t much once you clear the passage but there were a couple of Orca spotted, without binoculars and 12 decks up they just look like blobs in the water with vapor coming off them every few minutes. Don’t count on whale watching from the ship!

The rest of the afternoon is spent napping and exploring with lunch in the buffet (good). Dinner is in Blu and afterward we head to Cellar Masters. After the confusion of the first night, this time it is much more relaxing and we have time to sit and talk with the sommelier Radu. Radu is great and he tells us about a variety of wines and craft beers as we talk about his homeland, which I’ll keep secret since he made us figure it out ourselves (he covered his badge). According to Radu his home language is one of five finding its roots in Latin; he’s wrong it’s one of eight.

A Few Extra Pictures

The shops

_DSC2046_zpswtn11ddf.jpg

The Theater from the balcony

_DSC2042_zpsuqfapyym.jpg

The Martini Bar (empty because it’s closed)

_DSC2050_zpsxi3lbryi.jpg

After a good night of drinking, conversation, and laughter it’s time for bed; Ketchikan tomorrow.

Oh my - wonder if that's why they have now changed it to allocated times for each deck. Hopefully they pretty much stick to allocated time and it will be less chaotic. Although I am sure for some it can be impossible.

Problem is everyone wants to get on before lunch and some decks are allocated as late as 3pm...

Will see how it works out - we are aiming for out 10.30am slot.

They usually have AQ, CC and suites board whenever they want. We got a time when we were in Seattle and since we were in AQ, we went at 11:00A.M.

They usually have AQ, CC and suites board whenever they want. We got a time when we were in Seattle and since we were in AQ, we went at 11:00A.M.

Thanks! Its a bit of a novelty for us to be in the city we are boarding in same day. Usually - 9 times out of 10, we are flying in same day from Glasgow to Barcelona (on various cruiselines) or Rome. We are usually only getting into the airport around 12.3o - 1pm. Love when we do have the odd cruise which means we have overnighted prior, and can get on the ship and enjoy the day.

The email is the first we have received of this kind - allocating decks with boarding times. Never seen this before..

I am really enjoying your review. We hope to take an Alaska cruise soon, so we are gathering all of the info we can. We probably will go out of Vancouver, having taken a Pacific Coastal cruise from there and loved the Pan Pacific and the city. On our visits to Canada, we have always been impressed with the friendliness of the Canadians and the beauty of their cities. Just like you, we find every time and in every city someone will come up on the street and ask if we need help or directions. They really make us feel welcome. Look forward to reading more of your review.

I' really enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. And I really, really like your Schnauzer! :D

Thanks. He's a crotchety old man now but still a good boy.

Day 3 - Ketchikan part 1

Day 3 starts early with breakfast in the buffet. Our group is splitting up for the day for different kinds of excursions, only one group booked through the ship. Three of the guys are renting Harleys and riding around the island, three of the ladies booked an excursion to the Saxman Native Village and shopping. And the remaining three and myself are renting a car for the day. I can’t really speak to the first two tour except to say they all said they enjoyed themselves, if anyone wants info on the Harley’s though let me know and I can ask them; I know it was self guided.

It’s kind of a gray, damp morning but it’s supposed to clear to blue skies later on in the day. Temps are cool but not heavy jacket weather by any means. I arranged for a car to meet us at the docks through First City Car Rental. I had looked at Alamo but they’re at the airport and it would be more work than it’s worth (including a ferry ride) to get over there. We’re the only boat in port and I’m told we’re the first of the season too. The dock area is small so it’s easy to find your way around. But there are plenty of people offering tours dockside and picking up guests who have already booked. I find the First City rep quickly and just have to sign rental document using his Ipad and we’re on our way. Our rental is a Nissan Pathfinder 4WD and easily fits all four of us. I ask about the 4WD and am told it won’t be need anywhere, the three main directions to go are all pretty well maintained. From the dock Tongass Highway extends about 18 miles in each direction and there is also a road we can take up into the mountains.

_DSC1777_zpsblw5x0yq.jpg

_HAM7037_zpsznnl0kmi.jpg

Day 3 - Ketchikan part 2

The rep recommends going to Totem Bight Park over Saxman as it is free and he feels there is more wildlife to see there in addition to the Totem Poles. We jump in our car and it is an easy drive north to the park. It’s about 9am and the ranger hasn’t opened the longhouse and other displays yet, but the park is open to freely walk around on our own. There is only one other vehicle there, a van with about a dozen people and their guide. I don’t know whose tour it is but if someone else does I would highly recommend NOT using them; we overhear their guide saying “Well, I could read everything they have written on the spiel here, but basically blah, blah, blah, blah”. Not what I would call informative! One of his party calls him Tex, and the comment is made the he had just gotten into town. I probably could have led this tour just as effectively with my guidebook knowledge.

The rep was right, the park is beautiful. The skies are starting to turn blue already in places already and the wildlife is starting to move around. Both a Banana Slug and Bald Eagle are right out in the open. Our first closeup of a Bald Eagle and unfortunately I left my telephoto lens in the car. The totems are in great shape and the shop they use to rehab the poles is windowed, so even though it’s not open we can see what is going on inside. There are walkways winding in and out of the trees and lookouts to the water and signage to explain the history/elements of the what we are looking at. We pass a ranger on our way back to the car and she tells us she has opened all the building now if we want to explore more. We decide to move on but make use of the bathrooms they have on premises.

_HAM7047_zps4j4qztuv.jpg

_HAM7085_zpsawl2kr3r.jpg

_HAM7063_zpspsgi5jcy.jpg

Day 3 - Ketchikan part 3

Our drive takes us up to Settler’s Cove near the end of the road. We pull into the campground parking lot, but you could also park where the road ends a couple of hundred yards further on. There are a couple of cars here as it turns out this is a favorite place for the locals to go for their morning walk. There are bathrooms available and access to either the beach or the rainforest, along with signage to showing you where things are and what to look out for.

_HAM7083_zpsdf6akc80.jpg

The skies have completely turned blue by now and the day is perfect for wandering the trails. There is a beautiful waterfall a short, easy walk into the park. We decide to continue on into the rainforest and aren’t disappointed. It’s about a mile loop, but a warning, it’s up and down stairs and there are some slippery spots as it’s always damp. Early in the season there aren’t any bugs, but I could see it being bug heaven later in the year.

_HAM7131_zps5gdw7gsr.jpg

_HAM7145_zpsxng8tlbj.jpg

We make it back to our car and decide to head back toward town and maybe head up into the mountains. Just before town there is a road heading into the hills and we head up toward Harriet Hunt Lake. You don’t need 4WD but the road is very rough and it’s a constant battle to dodge the holes in the road. It takes a while but we finally make it to the top and the view is nice, but that’s the problem it’s just nice, probably not worth the drive we just did. We turn around and head back to see the south end of town.

Back on Tongass Highway I stop to top up the tank so we won’t need to do it back in town when we turn in the car. A couple gallons later we’re ready to hit the road when find the car won’t start, the battery is dead. I pop the hood and don’t see anything loose so I head into the gas station and ask if they have any jumper cables. Have to admit, her in California odds are good they would have just stared at me with a blank look on their face; here the clerk just walks into the garage and comes back with a portable battery for me to use. The car starts right up and we’re on our way south.

The south end of the island isn’t as pretty as the north but admittedly we didn’t take it all the way to the end. We go about 10 miles out of town and turn off onto Wood Road where there is a wildlife observation area. Not much here this early in the season, but there is another Bald Eagle. With not much to see and not wanting to turn the car off we decide to head back to town, park the car and have some lunch. We just have to return the car to the same lot by the ship we pick it up at and lock the keys inside to be picked up later by First City (we’re not in L.A. any more)!

We walk to Annabelle’s Chowderhouse to find it busy and serving a modified menu for Mother’s Day. The hostess recommends we head down Fish Pirate’s Saloon down at the end of the street as it’s run by the same ownership. We take her advice and enjoy a nice walk past the shops to the Saloon. The Saloon is located on the 3rd floor and there is an elevator to take you up. We are seated immediately and I notice crew from the Solstice is eating here too. This is a casual place with the fare you would expect: chowder, burgers and fish. The food and service is pretty good. After eating we decide to call it a day and head back to the ship.

After a nice day in Ketchikan, it’s our usual great dinner in Blu and drinks at Cellar Master. My FIL has discovered the band TFunk on board and a few people go up to the lounge to watch them. My wife and I decide to call it a night with promises we’ll join them another night and my wife will dance with her Dad.

Question-- We will also be renting a car in Ketchikan-- Regarding your car rental- did the company meet you at the cruise ship when you returned car? How was that arranged?

Our rental company did. We used First City Rentals and I called them rather than use their website since I wasn't really sure of how things would be in Ketchikan. Over the phone they verified what berth we would be at and explained exactly where to meet them when we got off the ship.

When I met their rep in port he told us to bring the car back to the same parking lot and just lock the keys into the car when we were done and they would pick it up later. Very casual, but it all worked out right. The lot was right off the gangway where everyone else was picking up their tours also.

Day 4 - Tracy Arm (Juneau later)

Apologies for the delay in catching up on this. My oldest graduated college this past weekend and Mom and Dad of course had to be there.:D

Okay, I have to admit I didn’t really understand what cruising Tracy Arm was all about. I thought we would just be cruising close to land in an area where we would see parts of some glaciers or something similar; I was in a for a nice surprise.

I woke up early knowing we would be heading to Tracy Arm this morning with a docking in Juneau in the afternoon. Thinking to get some gym time in and not wake my wife I dressed in the dark and headed out the door. Down the hallway and then “Bam!” out into the open and I realize we’re surrounded by icebergs. Now, mind you, these weren’t Titanic sinking icebergs by any means, but they were a good size and held all the blues and whites you see in pictures. It wasn’t just the icebergs though, the ship is making its way up a narrow fjord that towers up on both sides of us with glass like water surrounding us in all directions. There is a muffled crashing noise as the bow thrusters push smaller bergs out of the way and our wake causes them to break up. I figure the forward looking view from the gym will be impressive. Unfortunately when I get to the front the gym isn’t open yet, I think Celebrity messed up here; since the gym isn’t staffed why does it need to close at all? Gym people are a strange breed and like their routines, and with a one hour time change I don’t think 5am is an unusual time to hit the gym. The gym doesn’t open until 6am and by the time the doors are unlocked there is a line of people waiting to get their workout and go out onto the forward observation area. This turns out to probably be the most beautiful scenery I’ve ever had on a visit to the gym (and I’m from California where the people at the gym are usually the scenery) as the ship slowly makes its way up the fjord. After the workout I head out to the Aqua Cafe for a little refueling and enjoy the view before heading back to my cabin.

After returning to my cabin I realize THIS is why we wanted to be facing aft! The 180 degree view is as spectacular as the one facing the front. The rising sun is coming in over my shoulder and lighting the fjord perfectly for our morning sail. The naturalist, Brent Nixon, comes on over the PA and begins to give a talk on the history and science behind what we are seeing. I can barely hear him as the closet PA is several decks above at the Ocean View Bar but we find the talk is also being given over the television and we can hear that just fine out on our balcony. We see no wildlife but later in the season bears are supposed to come down to the water’s edge.

_DSC1823_zps5dtyilbz.jpg

The Captain/Pilot is doing a remarkable job of maneuvering the boat through the icebergs and using his thrusters to push some out of the way. We make it to the 18 mile mark before the decision is made that we better turn around. Turns out this morning is one of the lowest tides of the year and with the ice we are already seeing the 18 mile mark is kind of the last point we have to make a simple U-turn. Beyond here the Fjord makes some tighter turns and if the ice is thick and the tide to low we won’t be able to turn around. We reverse course and I use this chance to grab a quick shower so I’ll be ready to see the entrance to the fjord when we reach it.

_HAM7457_zpspqca1den.jpg

_HAM7389_zps6vj2hgom.jpg

This morning we are finally having breakfast in Blu, probably my favorite place to eat because of the tableside Muesli. Unfortunately, I find out table-side Muesli is not served on Alaskan cruises due to US health standards. Not sure if this is a new rule or not but we were served table-side last year when we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale. Not sure when US rules are in effect and when they aren’t. The staff was their usual wonderful selves though and offered to modify the pre-made muesli however I wanted; not necessary, I’m not that high maintenance. The rest of the breakfast dishes were great; the salmon/asparagus omelette comes with roe on top so be sure to ask for it without if you don’t want it.

Coming up this afternoon - Juneau and whale watching!