10/22 Oosterdam Dining Change - No, I'm not kidding...

heavenly

I do not know if you are single or married, but you write as if you are unaware of the nature of our culture and all the MANY ways in which it discriminates against single people. Perhaps this is being a bit "alarmist" on my part ... however, please DO try to view it from a single person's point of view: this is yet another issue that makes single people feel more conspicuous and more put-upon. A couple dining alone isn't considered unusual -- indeed, some people will exclaim: "you lucky dogs!" But a single person eating alone catches people's attention -- some people will even mutter under their breath: "oh, you poor dear." Under traditional dining single people don't have to worry about being conspicuous in this manner, but this "anytime dining" may well result in single people being left alone, requiring that we do something to try and keep from being left alone. In other words, it's yet ANOTHER reminder of something which many single people would rather not be forced to face ... that they're alone.

I have to agree with you Revneal. My last cruise I sailed as a single. And while almost everything was wonderful about the experience, I got real tired of explaining to everybody I would meet that I didn't mind being by myself, that I planned it this way, that I was still having a great time cruising alone. The advantage to traditional dining as a single is that you don't have to go through that particular explanation every time. And while I love being single and having time to myself, the one thing I don't like, even at home, is eating by myself. People keep saying that the advantage to anytime dining is that you can eat with friends you made during the week. While I did make friends throughout the cruise, there was nobody that I would've wanted to inflict myself on for every meal. One or two meals, ok, but not every one.

I've cruised only RCI so far, but I eventually want to cruise other lines like HAL. I've realized that anytime dining isn't for me, so unless I get a free cruise I won't be sailing NCL or Princess. If HAL switches to it, believe me I won't be trying HAL either. The advantage to cruising is that there is something for everybody. Why shouldn't different lines offer different dining styles to suit different needs and desires? Not everybody wants freestyle, so why should every line offer it?

I have to agree with you Revneal. My last cruise I sailed as a single. And while almost everything was wonderful about the experience, I got real tired of explaining to everybody I would meet that I didn't mind being by myself, that I planned it this way, that I was still having a great time cruising alone. The advantage to traditional dining as a single is that you don't have to go through that particular explanation every time. And while I love being single and having time to myself, the one thing I don't like, even at home, is eating by myself. People keep saying that the advantage to anytime dining is that you can eat with friends you made during the week. While I did make friends throughout the cruise, there was nobody that I would've wanted to inflict myself on for every meal. One or two meals, ok, but not every one.

I've cruised only RCI so far, but I eventually want to cruise other lines like HAL. I've realized that anytime dining isn't for me, so unless I get a free cruise I won't be sailing NCL or Princess. If HAL switches to it, believe me I won't be trying HAL either. The advantage to cruising is that there is something for everybody. Why shouldn't different lines offer different dining styles to suit different needs and desires? Not everybody wants freestyle, so why should every line offer it?

your statements but this is only an experiment after all and HAL is offering both traditional and freestyle (even if not in the format some folks want). As I said before - 'majority rules' correct? At least that's my impression of the USs form of Government so ultimately that will or shld prevail. U yourself say 'the advantage to cruising is that there is something for everybody' - doesn't that include different types of dining or just what u or some others on this board want? I am, by the way, a traditionalist myself.. If enjoyed by the 'majority' of diners on the ship each cruise it will continue, if not it won't or be modified until enjoyed by the majority - doesn't matter how much 'ranting' goes on here. This isn't where the experiment is taking place. Plse - lets not lose sight of that and likely it will all work out in the end - compromised maybe but cruising itself is still here (however modified) unless of course the 'terrorists' start in on it - now there is something to really WORRY about - right??

Happy cruisin'!

Personally, I don't like the idea of this at all. I didn't (and still don't) like the four dining times - why, oh why must HAL feel the need to follow in the footsteps of other lines?

Surely they have enough satisfied passengers without trying recruit from EVERY line...

It makes one wonder what will be next... if all cruise lines are going to become so generic and undistinguishable, what's the point of the cruise?

It's already bad enough there are so many similarities - especially with itineraries... pretty soon we won't even have to make any choices - they will all be virtually the same. :(

This topic has really angered me beyond where I like to be angered ... to the extent that it is now harming my joy in preparing for the Westerdam on November 6th, the Noordam in Feb, and the Zaandam next October. So, I'm quitting this topic and all these threads dealing with dining time.

Don't let this crap wreck your anticipation of your cruises. You may not even have the "anytime" dining on those cruises. The experiment may fall flat on its face on the Oosterdam.

Go, have a great time ... and I'll bet when you get back you'll realize that you were getting all upset over nothing.

Blue skies and calm seas!

--rita

From what I've been told it will not be like breakfast or lunch but, rather, like the current assigned seating system ... only ... there will be no time set (as it is on Cunard) . . . You'll still have your assigned table, but you'll not have an assigned time to arrive there.

Wait... Who told you this?

The reason I bring it up is that this is exactly what I thought this was initially. I mentioned it in this post way back on 20 October but those who had spoken to HAL were told that there were no table assignments.

So now we are back to having table assignments again?

This is giving me a headache!

According to a rep at HAL, there are no table assignments from 7:00- 10:00 on the Oosterdam this week. Pax can show up anytime from 7:00 - 10:00 and will be seated with people who are arriving around the same time that they are.

The Rep didn't know if this seating would be continued on the November 5th cruise (October 29th - November 5th is an Olivia Charter). She said that they are waiting for feedback from pax currently on the ship, before deciding if they will continue this experiment, or go back to traditional seating.

I've cruised only RCI so far, but I eventually want to cruise other lines like HAL. I've realized that anytime dining isn't for me, so unless I get a free cruise I won't be sailing NCL or Princess.

Princess offers Traditional Dining as well as Anytime Dining. DH and I have enjoyed cruising with both Princess and HAL. On Princess we chose Anytime Dining and this worked well for us. Princess has a separate dining room for "traditional dining" with to set dining times. Please don't eliminate Princess as a choice for a cruise because you think that they only offer "Anytime Dining." -g.

Don't let this crap wreck your anticipation of your cruises. You may not even have the "anytime" dining on those cruises. The experiment may fall flat on its face on the Oosterdam.

Go, have a great time ... and I'll bet when you get back you'll realize that you were getting all upset over nothing.

Blue skies and calm seas!

--rita

Agree with you! At this point, it's a test, an expirement only! As far as I/we know, nothing has been decided yet to go that way permanently.

Agree with you! At this point, it's a test, an expirement only! As far as I/we know, nothing has been decided yet to go that way permanently.

And I still say ... even if the experiment is a success, I'll bet the "anytime dining" concept will only be in effect on the Vista class ships doing mostly seven-day "family type" cruises. After all, that is generally the market that prefers flexible dining options ... and I can certainly understand why.

I'd be willing to bet the rest of the fleet will remain just the way it is in terms of dining schedule because the majority of that segment of HAL's market is always gonna want the traditional seating arrangements.

Blue skies ...

--rita

According to a rep at HAL, there are no table assignments from 7:00- 10:00 on the Oosterdam this week. Pax can show up anytime from 7:00 - 10:00 and will be seated with people who are arriving around the same time that they are.

Here is the rub. When I arrive at the dining room the last thing I want to be told is to sit with a group of passengers who just happen to arrive at the same time!

This is the way breakfast and lunch in the dining room is done and for this reason alone I try to avoid the dining room. I do not want to walk into the dining room not knowing who I will be dining with or finding myself in location that I don't like.

I don't mind sitting with other passengers... once in a seven day cruise would be enough.

That said, I would guess that if a couple want a table for two then the request would be accommodated... or OK... I'll come back later.

Stephen

Here is the rub. When I arrive at the dining room the last thing I want to be told is to sit with a group of passengers who just happen to arrive at the same time!

This is the way breakfast and lunch in the dining room is done and for this reason alone I try to avoid the dining room. I do not want to walk into the dining room not knowing who I will be dining with or finding myself in location that I don't like.

I don't mind sitting with other passengers... once in a seven day cruise would be enough.

That said, I would guess that if a couple want a table for two then the request would be accommodated... or OK... I'll come back later.

Stephen

All I can say is that HAL had better get this sorted out by the time we sail on Noordam. We don't need any "experiments" for the new crew to contend with, and if I cannot have a set table of any sort for late seating, I will be one very unhappy puppy...

So Stephen, does this mean that you won't join our group for dinners in Feb?

just in case someone from HAL is watching this thread, here's my 2 cents worth. Don't mess with a successful dining experience like you now have. Next thing is you will bring cheer sessions and dining room competitions like another cruise line. I don't want to sit at a different table and group of people every night. Change things too much and you can count me out as a customer. We've already cancelled one cruise line because of the way they jerked us around.

Jim

I am not looking forward to the two HAL cruises we have planned for spring if we are going to have to deal with dining room trauma. We never go to the dining room for breakfast and go infrequently for lunch if they are serving something that sounds really good. It has been our experience that once in a great while the "tablemates" are friendly, but most of the times they will nod a hello and that is it for the entire meal. If we encounter that situation for dinner we will just avoid the dining room all together and eat in the Lido. On a recent RCI cruise we were assigned a table that was completely unsatisfactory and they could not or would not change it. We just never went back and although eating at the buffet every night is not my idea of the best cruise experience, at least we didn't go hungry!

It has been our experience that once in a great while the "tablemates" are friendly, but most of the times they will nod a hello and that is it for the entire meal. If we encounter that situation for dinner we will just avoid the dining room all together....

And that's something I can easily see happening. Two couples arrive for dinner, but cannot get a table for four. They want to eat, so accept a larger table for six. But they have absolutely no interest in interacting with anyone else seated there. So along comes Little Miss Solo and she's seated at that table for six.

It's bad enough to dine alone:( ; it's even worse to dine alone at a full table:mad: .

I have been busy at work and have had computer problems at home, so it has taken me several days to completely read this thread and get my mind around it.

There must be a reason why HAL is doing this test. I wonder if it is because they have had negative comments on the survey forms after moving to the 4 dinner time sittings.

I have cruised 4 times since the change and have always been assigned the 8:30 sitting. This is an half hour too late for me and my traveling companion(s). On three occasions we have got it changed to 8:00. Nevertheless, we made a comment on the survey form that we preferred the old dinner timings. My TA has told me that the reason that I get 8:30 for this is that I must book late, frequently at a guarantee. This is due to work obligations.

I might be wrong in the following conclusions. I think that most of the CC posters on this thread are suite passengers ( Deluxe S or PS, not SS or various Superior categories). I have reason to believe that the ship will hold tables at all sittings for suite passengers. The other posters on this thread seem to be in the position to book a year or more in advance. In the past, all of you have been able to get the sitting for dinner that you want. Right? I am prepared to be corrected on this.

Most of us want 6:00 or 8:00. Right? 5:30 is too early and 8:30 a little too late. Most HAL Alumni want early (5:30 or 6:00). I have sat in the Queens Room often enough waiting for my number to be called to be certain of this.

I am wondering if HAL is thinking that they will test this scenario. Those who want early come at 5:30 for a reserved table. The rest of you come any time after 7:30. It does not seem clear at this time if a table can be reserved for 7:30 onwards.

Ken (more than a little confused)

I might be wrong in the following conclusions. I think that most of the CC posters on this thread are suite passengers ( Deluxe S or PS, not SS or various Superior categories). I have reason to believe that the ship will hold tables at all sittings for suite passengers. The other posters on this thread seem to be in the position to book a year or more in advance. In the past, all of you have been able to get the sitting for dinner that you want. Right? I am prepared to be corrected on this.

I'm certainly not a suite passenger---far from it! I book a lowly inside---the last three years on a guaranteed share.

I do book well in advance---at least a year---so I do get the time of my choice (8:00). It's only fair that those who book first get to choose their time first.

However, I'm not reading this that I can continue in this fashion if the test plan goes fleet-wide as tested. I can either have a set table, but it will be way too early, or I can pick my time, but nothing else. There is no possibility of a reserved table of set tablemates except at 5:30 as the plan has been explained.

Yuck.

When I arrive at the dining room the last thing I want to be told is to sit with a group of passengers who just happen to arrive at the same time!

Stephen

I have to agree with you entirely. However, in my case, would they be so accommodating for a "table for one"???;)

I might be wrong in the following conclusions. I think that most of the CC posters on this thread are suite passengers ( Deluxe S or PS, not SS or various Superior categories). I have reason to believe that the ship will hold tables at all sittings for suite passengers.

NOT in my experience. You show up for your assigned time, or you eat elsewhere;)!

I just tonight found this thread! Gosh, almost wish I hadn't found it. We're booked on the 11/26 Oosterdam sailing and sure don't like the prospects of this being inforce at that time.

Here's what I don't like.

We were confirmed for the 8:00 seating which I felt was perfect. Am sure not thrilled with the idea of showing up at 8:00 with our friends (one other couple) and being told "oh sorry, there are no tables at this time, you will have to wait." It's always been reassuring to come into the dining room, know your table and the servers were ready for you and anxious to see you. (Well, at least they always acted that way.) Now we won't build up any relationship with the servers as there will be different ones everynight. Bet this change would never have even been considered if they weren't adding the tips to our bill.

Guess I can just hope that this fails miserably and they get it out of their "system" by 11/26. Otherwise this will probably be my last HAL cruise.

OK, here's what really happened. There was leisure seating available, but for those of us that had made seating araigments they were honored. We had a table for 4. Table 81. We sat at the same table at the 8:00 pm seating with our two friends every night. Cheppy was our food stewart every night. He was great! We ate Thursday night in the Pinnacle grill with our 2 free vouchers and missed the steak and lobster. We asked him to save the steak and lobster for us to Friday night, and guess what? We had steak and lobster Friday instead.

Had a great experiance on Oosterdam. More to follow....

Brian

OK, here's what really happened. There was leisure seating available, but for those of us that had made seating araigments they were honored.

Ok..now I'm really confused. Doesn't everyone have seating arrangements with traditional dining? So....did people keep to the traditional dining times and seating arrangements?

Hmm...

Brian..looking forward to reading more about your cruise.

Just got back and Brian is right. We had our 8:30 table reservation honored and sat at the same table every night.:D It was a table for 10 and there was just 8 of us. Made friends with another CC couple from our roll call and they ended up joining our table when the other 2 diners didn't show up after the first night. But they did show up finally, for the first time on the 6th night and expected to be sat there.:eek: They were shown to another table.

On Tuesday, they told us we could come at 8:00 instead of 8:30. It made it more relaxed, not having to rush through dinner to get to the shows. But the funny thing was we tried on Monday night to show up early and the dining room doors were closed. We were told we would have to wait until 8:30. So I'm not exactly sure what the open seating people did.:confused:

We had Charlie as our server and he was fantastic. The food was great also.

They did have a table set up from 1:00 to 4:00 on the day we sailed, to talk to the Maitre "D about making your dinner reservation permanent for the whole cruise. Needless to say, I was the first one in line!! The others in line behind me were not very happy about this being sprung on them. We were given a paper during embarkation explaining the change.

I did overhear the Maitre 'D saying this wouldn't work after the first night. I hope everyone who didn't like it voiced their opinions loud and clear.

If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask. I'll hopefully be able to answer them.

Archived