Birth Certificate for minor

bobboozm

We are traveling with three grand kids. Carnival says that minors (under 16) that don't have a passport can use their birth certificate and a copy is acceptable as long as it it a legible copy of a government issued birth certificate. When my daughter in law copied the 10 year old's certificate, in the background "VOID, VOID" showed up. The dates and names are all legible. Anyone experience this? There is nothing unusual about her status. Both parents are born and raised U.S. citizens and all now live and have always lived in Louisiana. I can't find anyone with Carnival who can say that is OK. I want to have all our documents in hand a week before our departure and since all live out of town I don't want the original certificates sent in the mail. Any help would be appreciated.

We are traveling with three grand kids. Carnival says that minors (under 16) that don't have a passport can use their birth certificate and a copy is acceptable as long as it it a legible copy of a government issued birth certificate. When my daughter in law copied the 10 year old's certificate, in the background "VOID, VOID" showed up. The dates and names are all legible. Anyone experience this? There is nothing unusual about her status. Both parents are born and raised U.S. citizens and all now live and have always lived in Louisiana. I can't find anyone with Carnival who can say that is OK. I want to have all our documents in hand a week before our departure and since all live out of town I don't want the original certificates sent in the mail. Any help would be appreciated.

I've used a copy but it didn't have "Void" written all over it either. Birth certificates get mailed all of the time, that's how I got mine from New York when I needed a long form to obtain my EDL. I would have your daughter in law send you the original via a trackable means (such as priority mail).

You can't photo copy them. You need to use a version that was actually issued by a governmental agency.

You can't photo copy them. You need to use a version that was actually issued by a governmental agency.

This is incorrect, photocopies are allowed under the regulations and CCL's FAQ makes this clear also, as long as it is a photocopy of the birth certificate issued by a government agency. I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate when I boarded the CCL Pride just to show it could be done.

My theory is “Better Safe, Than Sorry”.

I sailed with my 2 year olds original BC. My fear was getting to the port and not being able to board. Perhaps your daughter can send the original BC via Fed-Ex or UPS. I believe you will also need a notarized letter from the parents stating you have their permission to travel with the kids.

We took our grandkids on an out-of-county trip. Just to make sure that we had no problems, we told their parents that the grandkids had to have a passport. Since we were paying for the trip, they got passports.

DON

My rule with my kids is you better have a valid passport for your kids just in case I want to take the grand kids somewhere. They know I mean it and all have had passports since they were under 1 YO. The earliest was my DGD got her first when she was just 2 weeks old. There was an Australian cruise coming up and the family didn't want to miss it. They never know when and for where I am going to book a cruise and no passport, no cruise. No cruise, no vacation for the parents LOL.

The same goes even in we are driving across the border to Canada or flying within the US. You want me to take your kids, give me that passport! Three of the 4 are on their second passport. The 11 YO (then 12) will be going on his 7th cruise next year. The 9 YO (then 10) will be going on her 4th, the 7 YO (then 8) will be going on her 2nd and the 5 YO (then 6) will be going on her first. I am flying my 2 youngest from Seattle to LA this summer. You guessed it: passport required!

Get the passports. They really don't take as long as they used to and they last ten years, during which a whole lot of travel opportunities are likely come up. Further, they are an excellent form of identification for purposes outside of travel.

My rule with my kids is you better have a valid passport for your kids just in case I want to take the grand kids somewhere. They know I mean it and all have had passports since they were under 1 YO. The earliest was my DGD got her first when she was just 2 weeks old. There was an Australian cruise coming up and the family didn't want to miss it. They never know when and for where I am going to book a cruise and no passport, no cruise. No cruise, no vacation for the parents LOL.

The same goes even in we are driving across the border to Canada or flying within the US. You want me to take your kids, give me that passport! Three of the 4 are on their second passport. The 11 YO (then 12) will be going on his 7th cruise next year. The 9 YO (then 10) will be going on her 4th, the 7 YO (then 8) will be going on her 2nd and the 5 YO (then 6) will be going on her first. I am flying my 2 youngest from Seattle to LA this summer. You guessed it: passport required!

Totally agree with you. I have never understood Americans reluctance to get passports although I realize you can live your whole life without one. I use mine as an identity source on a regular basis, both for domestic travel and when something calls for photo ID. I like your approach and when the GK's start arriving, just married off the youngest child, l think I will tell them the same thing.

Get the passports. They really don't take as long as they used to and they last ten years, during which a whole lot of travel opportunities are likely come up. Further, they are an excellent form of identification for purposes outside of travel.

Children's passports are valid for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally agree with you. I have never understood Americans reluctance to get passports although I realize you can live your whole life without one. I use mine as an identity source on a regular basis, both for domestic travel and when something calls for photo ID. I like your approach and when the GK's start arriving, just married off the youngest child, l think I will tell them the same thing.

Why buy something you don't need? If one has no travel plans that require a passport it is a waste of money.