First Cruise HAL Alaksa Sept 2016

Joannedisfan

My parents are doing an Alaska Cruise in September with Holland America and we are thinking of going as well. We would be doing the Sept 7th cruise on the Volendam. Departure time is 5pm and it arrives back at 7am Sept 14th.

I'm totally new to this and am trying to figure out flights, etc. My options are arriving in right around Noon on the 7th or flying the day before and getting a hotel. I've read that most people recommend flying the day before and I'm leaning towards that option. My only concern is my kids missing too many days of school. But there is a flight out at 3pm so my kids wouldn't have to miss the whole day of school.

On my way home I'm not sure how early I could book a flight out of Vancouver. Is it possible to make a Noon flight?

Also any just good advice for our first cruise would be appreciated.

Congratulations on your first cruise to Alaska. Alaska is a wonderful choice for a first cruise. We sailed on the Volendam to Alaska a few years ago and it was our most favourite cruise ever.

The latest time to board the ship is 4:00 pm for a departure time of 5:00 pm. You didn't indicate where you were flying from so it is difficult to estimate whether you will have enough time. You may have to go through Customs, for instance, which can add time to your total flight.

We have flown on the day of the cruise, but I don't recommend it. Better safe than sorry and fly in the day before. It is my experience that air lines are rarely on schedule these days. You need to weigh the option of flying in a day early and booking a hotel versus flying the day of the cruise, missing the ship and having to make arrangements to meet up with the ship at its first port.

Leaving the cruise for a noon flight should be fine. You can opt for an early disembarkation and depending upon Customs, you should have plenty of time to make the noon flight.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would also strongly recommend flying in the day before the cruise.

For your other questions, I suggest you also ask on the HAL forum, where there will be many more people with HAL experience able to see your question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

You asked about a Noon flight out of YVR and whether that's realistic. The answer these days is that it's probably OK but don't try earlier. You will have the usual check in inspections but you also will be going through US immigration and customs in Vancouver as well, so that will take extra time as well.

I live in TN, and I can't recommend strongly enough that you travel from Arkansas the day before. Too many things can and do go wrong. A noon flight back may be doable. Keep in mind that we're talking about international flights, which adds steps to the process.

My first cruise was with HAL to Alaska. Absolutely loved it and have been cruising ever since. Be aware that in September there won't be many school age kids on the ship, if that's a factor for your family.

Roz

Thanks. I will look for flights the day before and probably also the day after the cruise. It will be me, my husband and our 2 kids 16, and 5. Our son turns 6 just 2 days after the cruise and our daughter has a birthday 12 days later.

Originally the cruise was going to be my parents and my mom's 2 sisters and their husbands. Now it's turned into a bit of a family vacation with my brother and sister-in-law and their 3 yr old also going.