cabin upgrades on eclipse

• 3 weeks later...
Upgrading is very infrequent, and I do not know if anyone has figured out the formula for who gets upgraded.

Upsells are more likely, and in theory, Captains Club members get first shot at these offers.

Are the upsells usually a good deal?

We booked a 2d and as past passanger were upgraded to a 2c..my question is.....if upgrading happens does anyone know if guarantee cabins get allocated above people who have an asined cabins?

If you book a veranda guarantee you could the worst 2d or a great 1a or maybe even a Conceigre cabin. They don't shuffle/upgrade the "assigned" passengers and then give cabins to those who booked a guarantee.

Upgrading is very infrequent, and I do not know if anyone has figured out the formula for who gets upgraded.

Upsells are more likely, and in theory, Captains Club members get first shot at these offers.

If you are a higher level in Captains Club, Elite, Elite Plus...would you be contacted before Select...?

Are the upsells usually a good deal?

We have moved up from the balcony cabin twice.

First time on Infinity, British Isles cruise we called X when prices for Aqua dropped below what we paid for our veranda. No problem, we were in Aqua, no extra cost.

Second time on Millie out of Japan last year, we got an upset call from X offering us a Cat 1 Sky Suite for $800 total for our 14 day cruise.

I agree that first time cruisers may get favored. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the wonderful Century for a 7 day Pacific Coastal itinerary (which we loved and repeated the following year). Booked a Veranda GTY and got asigned a C2 Concierge a couple weeks before the sail date. The strategy worked, as we jumped up to Aqua on the next cruise.

I kind of like Veranda GTY if it's offered at a steep discount. What's the worse you can get? A lower level cabin with a very slightly obstructed downward line of sight because of the lifeboats. Still a veranda, and the upside can be pretty good.

Still waiting for that magical suite upgrade, but don't think its going to happen.

Captain's Club status is not part of the algorithm when guarantee cabins are assigned. I had a very informative conversation with a Captain's Club representative earlier this week regarding GTYs and last minute paid upgrades offered to Captain's Club members. FYI, if you are part of a group booking, you will not be offered a last minute deal and if you book thru that big box warehouse. you are likely in a group unbeknownst to you.

I think that for all the money that I have saved over the years booking with a "big box warehouse TA" will have far exceeded the off chance of an elusive upgrade to a cabin that I may not have chosen in the first place.

I agree with you, but wanted to share information regarding the "group" status with others in case, like me, they were hoping to be offered one of the last minute upgrades. BTW, according to the CC rep, not every sailing booked thru that agency is in a group, so it's a good question to ask if you reserve thru the call center.

I think that for all the money that I have saved over the years booking with a "big box warehouse TA" will have far exceeded the off chance of an elusive upgrade to a cabin that I may not have chosen in the first place.

I like to book early, frequently as soon as the cruise is announced. I always check a couple of the big box TAs and most of the time my cruise is not even listed. When it is listed, the rates are usually the same as booking directly. Occasionally, there is a small amount of OBC offered, but nothing that attractive. I know others swear by TAs, but is just hasn't worked for me.

I'm with you, Papa. I like booking directly with the source, just like I do for airlines and hotels. I like the direct link with the service provider, and have had nothing but good customer service with the Celebrity reps. I've been upgraded, swapped cabins and added services with no fuss and instant confirmation.

• 3 weeks later...

I also prefer dealing directly. You have total control of the reservation. If a preferred location pops up, on an off time, you can always call and make a switch. If you have to wait for a TA to get back to you for example on a Sunday , somebody else can grab the cabin. We book onboard so we do get on board credit and perks. IMO not worth transferring the booking to a TA-big or small.

However, if a last minute cruise and I was going with a group, it might make sense.

• 1 month later...

A couple of years ago on the Eclipse we were rang by our TA saying that Celebrity had contacted them offering us an upgrade from a Concierge stateroom to a Skysuite but wouldnt give us a cabin number. The offer was just for 24 hrs. We declined the offer.Unsold stateroom are ones that are obviously left over, why? because nobody would want to pay for them for the position they are in. Some of the Skysuites are in awful positions .

Honestly, I would never refuse a sky suite! Non are in bad locations compared to AQ , Concierge or balcony. The large cabin, which could be double the size of a CC cabin and the amenities are great. The balcony also extra large. The only not ideal SS cabins are handicapped cabins. They are perfect for those who require them as they are wheelchair accessible. However, they lack a bathtub and have a large roll in shower which wets most of the bathroom floor as you must put a towel barrier on the floor to help prevent this. The vanity and sink are lower, perfect for those in a wheelchair, but not ideal for a very tall person. The closets also have lower bars for hanging clothes.

While not ideal for a non handicapped person, IMO so much better then a 194 ft CC cabin

I want to also say, having a close relative who requires a wheel chair, the cabin is perfect for her.

Edited by Cruise a holic