Oslo - Bergen Precruise

mhb1757

We had looked at Vikings precruise extension for Oslo Bergen, but it was a bit pricey for 2 days and did not include the train down to Flam (which I really wanted to do). When I priced it out it looks like we can easily do 3 days on our own for a little less than Viking was charging for the 2 day extension.

Has anyone done the Norway in Nutshell thing from Oslo to Bergen on their own? We really want to do the railroad from Oslo to Myrdal, then down to Flam, overnight there and do the boat to bus to train thing into Bergen the next day and then have a day in Bergen before we board the ship. I would love any reports, suggestions for hotels in Bergen and Flam, etc. My only concern is schlepping our luggage around from train to hotel, to boat to bus to train, etc, etc.

We had looked at Vikings precruise extension for Oslo Bergen, but it was a bit pricey for 2 days and did not include the train down to Flam (which I really wanted to do). When I priced it out it looks like we can easily do 3 days on our own for a little less than Viking was charging for the 2 day extension.

Has anyone done the Norway in Nutshell thing from Oslo to Bergen on their own? We really want to do the railroad from Oslo to Myrdal, then down to Flam, overnight there and do the boat to bus to train thing into Bergen the next day and then have a day in Bergen before we board the ship. I would love any reports, suggestions for hotels in Bergen and Flam, etc. My only concern is schlepping our luggage around from train to hotel, to boat to bus to train, etc, etc.

I just googled Luggage on NIAN and from what I saw, it appears to be very easy, depending on how heavy you pack. A Flam hotel will be close to the train and the ferry for the overnight. Not sure about Oslo airport to train station. The difference between Bergen station and port is not far and I'm sure there will be taxis if you decide to go that way. If you hotel between the 2 in Bergen, you can split the difference on each journey.

We looked into Viking extension an Stockholm and like you, came to the same decision and booked our own for a substantial price difference. I hope you enjoy your pre cruise and I know if you are like me, your going to have a great time.

For more fantastic info. Go to the Azamara roll call for great info from CC controller Jazzbeau in the June Amsterdam to Amsterdam Scandinavia & North Cape Cruise.

By the way are We are you doing this 2016 or 2017? These are really roll call conversations.

For more fantastic info. Go to the Azamara roll call for great info from CC controller Jazzbeau in the June Amsterdam to Amsterdam Scandinavia & North Cape Cruise.

By the way are We are you doing this 2016 or 2017? These are really roll call conversations.

Not true. As Viking gears up its ocean division, these questions about the various ports and how Viking passengers have handled them are the kinds of conversations that should be opened to all Viking passengers. Roll calls have a limited audience and even this forum has a small audience. To get answers about all aspects of the Viking experience, people want to expose questions to the largest audience possible and especially to the those who have already done these cruises so they can share their experiences. No conversation need be limited to just a roll call.

I posted here because several different Viking routes leave and/or return from Bergen now. Thought I might stand a better chance of getting responses on this board instead of a single cruise on a roll call that has less than a dozen active users.

My only concern is schlepping our luggage around from train to hotel, to boat to bus to train, etc, etc.

I've never used this luggage service, it might be worth looking at?

Porterservice

'We can offer a safe and secure transportation of your customer's luggage using train between Oslo and Bergen and also Bergen - Oslo. '

I've never used this luggage service, it might be worth looking at?

Porterservice

'We can offer a safe and secure transportation of your customer's luggage using train between Oslo and Bergen and also Bergen - Oslo. '

Wow. That looks really promising! It might be worth it to just take a carry on bag with us and send the cruise luggage with them. Thanks for the link!,

We are leaving on July 20 for Oslo and doing the whole thing on our own. We are spending a night in Oslo, a night in Balestrand, and a night in Bergen. Total cost was $760 per person. Our travel agent arranged this for us. All breakfasts plus dinner at Balestrand. We thought it was a good price.

I can let you know how it all worked when we return if you are interested.

We are leaving on July 20 for Oslo and doing the whole thing on our own. We are spending a night in Oslo, a night in Balestrand, and a night in Bergen. Total cost was $760 per person. Our travel agent arranged this for us. All breakfasts plus dinner at Balestrand. We thought it was a good price.

I can let you know how it all worked when we return if you are interested.

Thanks KyOh... I would LOVE to hear how your trip goes!! We are debating to a night in Flam vs Balestrand. Both sound great. That is about what I had priced our extension at. Please keep me posted.

@KyOh - we're doing the pre-cruise Oslo to Bergen. As far as I could tell when I read about the Flåm excursions and looked at the map it looked like the Bergen Express from Oslo to Bergen goes by Flåm. Regardless, will be interested to know how the option you choose compares when we hopefully meet on board. We will arrive in Oslo the day after you do.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on the Midnight Sun cruise leaving Bergen on 6/25/17 and are considering the Oslo-Bergen rail precruise.

Does anyone know what hotel Viking uses in Oslo? Is the rail portion in Komfort class? Does Viking provide a meal on the train or do you have to order your own?

HI, I have not cruise yet on Viking Ocean, but we took a Hurtigruten round trip Bergen.

We flew into Oslo, took the train directly from the airport into downtown central station, walked/rolled 1 bag each 2 blocks to Comfort Hotel Boersparken on Tolbugaten (Street?), about $130 for 2 of us with breakfast. Booked thorugh booking dot com. It was not luxury but close, clean, helpful and just fine for what we needed overnight. In the morning we took the Bergen express Komfort class) not much more money if you reserve/purchase in advance. Komfort class had more room, table, self-serve coffee/hot chocolate machine, charging ports. We did not do Norway in a Nutshell so can't comment.

In Bergen we walked to our cruise port for Hurtigruten.... upon return we bought a transfer to our overnight Bergen hotel becasue it was raining and we were told it was a hilly walk, so paid $14 each. Stayed at the Comfort Holberg on Strandgaten for $112 for 2 with breakfast.

Both breakfasts were quite substantial with a ton of options of meats and cheeses, fish of course plus, breads etc.

There are many hotels to choose from, most more costly but on booking dot you will see on the map many to choose from and price ranges.

You might look at some threads on the Hurtigruten forum for ideas too where this is discussed periodically.

I recall seeing a taxi or two at the Bergen train station and I'd think a hotel could call one for you to pick you up if you have a cell phone that will work there.

I hope this helps a little. The train was lovely and I'd do it again. We took the morning train 8am - 3pm approximately. I don't recall any food being served but there may have been a sandwich bar in another car, we brought sandwiches with us. Can pick food up at the train station in Oslo. m--

HI, I have not cruise yet on Viking Ocean, but we took a Hurtigruten round trip Bergen.

We flew into Oslo, took the train directly from the airport into downtown central station, walked/rolled 1 bag each 2 blocks to Comfort Hotel Boersparken on Tolbugaten (Street?), about $130 for 2 of us with breakfast. Booked thorugh booking dot com. It was not luxury but close, clean, helpful and just fine for what we needed overnight. In the morning we took the Bergen express Komfort class) not much more money if you reserve/purchase in advance. Komfort class had more room, table, self-serve coffee/hot chocolate machine, charging ports. We did not do Norway in a Nutshell so can't comment.

In Bergen we walked to our cruise port for Hurtigruten.... upon return we bought a transfer to our overnight Bergen hotel becasue it was raining and we were told it was a hilly walk, so paid $14 each. Stayed at the Comfort Holberg on Strandgaten for $112 for 2 with breakfast.

Both breakfasts were quite substantial with a ton of options of meats and cheeses, fish of course plus, breads etc.

There are many hotels to choose from, most more costly but on booking dot you will see on the map many to choose from and price ranges.

You might look at some threads on the Hurtigruten forum for ideas too where this is discussed periodically.

I recall seeing a taxi or two at the Bergen train station and I'd think a hotel could call one for you to pick you up if you have a cell phone that will work there.

I hope this helps a little. The train was lovely and I'd do it again. We took the morning train 8am - 3pm approximately. I don't recall any food being served but there may have been a sandwich bar in another car, we brought sandwiches with us. Can pick food up at the train station in Oslo. m--

I did a similar thing before a Hurtigruten cruise, and I agree with these comments. I stayed at a different hotel in Oslo, but it was also very close to the train station. We stayed two nights in Oslo. For our full day in Oslo, we used an Oslo Pass for bus transportation and museum entrances. We purchased it at the Tourist Information Center right by the train station. We then took the train to Bergen and took a transfer right to the ship - we did not stay overnight in Bergen.

I would also recommend Komfort Class on the train. It is well worth the small additional cost.

I suggest that you go back to the Board Forums and look for the Ports of Call section. Go to Europe>Northern Europe & Baltics, and then search for Oslo, etc. If I were you, I would definitely look into doing the entire Norway in a Nutshell. We did the Viking excursion portion of it and loved it, but the Viking dock time isn't long enough for the whole thing. If you are there ahead of time, you could do it on your own. There is lots of info about it on that other thread.

Re hotel, they were going to do a Radisson Blu Scandinavian and at the last minute had to switch to Hotel Bristol.

Sorry. Should have stated that this is for the 24 July cruise. Their usual hotel is the Radisson Blu; Hotel Bristol is an exception.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. That looks really promising! It might be worth it to just take a carry on bag with us and send the cruise luggage with them. Thanks for the link!,

We were on the Sea's maiden voyage in April. We disembarked in Bergen and did 6 days on our own. We walked our bags to the hotel, Radisson Blu, at the Bryggan area. We booked that hotel online. We worked directly with Norway in a Nutshell to book the train, bus, cruise, hotels. We wanted two nights to make the journey, so we stayed in hotels in Voss and Vatnahalden. NOrway Nutsheel is easy to deal with and I highly recommend them. In Oslo we walked directly from the train to our hotel, The Comfort Inn (or similar name) located right in the train station. We booked it online. They have a great Italian restaurant in the lobby. We took a taxi to the airport the night before our flight and stayed at an airport hotel to catch an early flight. In Bergen we did a city tour with Bergen Guides. Be sure to take the funicular up the mountain. In Oslo we did the Viator 4 hr city tour. Both were well worth it. We had our luggage transported by a baggage service between Bergen and Olso. We shared one small bag over those three days of travel. Smartest thing we could have done. Don't waste your money on viking's pre and post tours, unless you are reluctant travelers.

Thanks Inborn Traveller. You are the first post I have seen from someone that used the luggage service. Did you use the same one mentioned above? That sounds like a great way to simplify the Nutshell trip.

Scroll down to my post from Inborn Traveler. We did 6 days between Bergen and Olso, on our own. Easy travel. Let me know if you have any more questions.

we did this Bergen to Oslo. Was fantastic. we spent two nights in hotels on the route. N in N will work all this out for you. We sent our luggage by porterservice.no. Very prompt and reasonable cost. We just had one medium roller bag to cart around. Made for more enjoyable travel.

Yes, we did use Baggage Service. They promptly met us in the hotel lobby to pick up our gags early before needing to meet our train. They were waiting for us at the Oslo hotel. Well worth the $.

Thanks Inborn Traveller. You are the first post I have seen from someone that used the luggage service. Did you use the same one mentioned above? That sounds like a great way to simplify the Nutshell trip.

Yes, we did use Baggage Service. They promptly met us in the hotel lobby to pick up our gags early before needing to meet our train. They were waiting for us at the Oslo hotel. Well worth the $.

Thanks. I'm sold! We are going to use them next summer!!