Million Dollar Quartet on the NCL Getaway

I've also had people come up to me on the ship and say, "Which one of you is Kurt?" because Seminole1975 has been talking me up around here.

If anybody is curious about life on board as an entertainer, I'd be happy to answer a few questions. I don't have constant access to the Internet, but I'll answer when I can. I also have a YouTube page where I've documented some of my time on board. https://www.youtube.com/user/skywayspirit

I'm going to start posting more show-related content, but I have to be careful because it's a very heavily copyrighted show.

I saw these shows on Escape transat last fall ...wow is all I can say ...singers and dancers were top knotch ...as is all NCL entertainment ....way above other cruise lines shows ...way way above

All the shows were awesome

Looking forward to other great ones on Epic in a month

This is Kurt Jenkins (Carl Perkins) from Million Dollar Quartet on the Getaway. The response to the show has been fantastic, and we're all very grateful to be able to perform for y'all every week!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I was on Getaway's September 4-11 sailing, and I enjoyed the show very much. It was an excellent finale for the cruise. :)

This is Kurt Jenkins (Carl Perkins) from Million Dollar Quartet on the Getaway. The response to the show has been fantastic, and we're all very grateful to be able to perform for y'all every week!

Great show! Very well done enjoyed your performance on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've also had people come up to me on the ship and say, "Which one of you is Kurt?" because Seminole1975 has been talking me up around here.

If anybody is curious about life on board as an entertainer, I'd be happy to answer a few questions. I don't have constant access to the Internet, but I'll answer when I can. I also have a YouTube page where I've documented some of my time on board. https://www.youtube.com/user/skywayspirit

I'm going to start posting more show-related content, but I have to be careful because it's a very heavily copyrighted show.

Just watched a couple of your videos. Love them! I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of weeks! :)

Guilty as charged haha! I am a proud Mama!

Break some more legs this week: Kurt, Ben, Katie, Jared, Will, Sean, Zack and Aaron! It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Another Bon Voyage!!! Be safe!

I am jealous of everyone that started the cruise today! Bon Voyage to all of you!!

Boarding the Getaway in 7 days! Wondering if this show is appropriate for our kids ages 5 1/2 and 2.

Hi Mable. My son plays Carl Perkins in this show and was in Chicago for 2 years with MDQ prior to this job. I have seen the show over 10 times at least.

The show deals with adult subject matter at times. Norwegian has rated it PG-13. Although your children might enjoy some of the music, they probably would not know what is going on otherwise. To answer your question, I would say no it is not appropriate for young children.

What I would do in your situation is have one adult watch the kids and let the other one go to the show and then swap off. The show is done twice on Thursday and twice on Friday, so you have four chances to see it. I would want to see it without distractions. It is only a 90 minute show without intermission. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers and have a great cruise!

Diane

Welcome to CC! I think we can all understand and appreciate you not having constant access to internet while aboard GA. Awesome videos. Looking forward to seeing your show in a few weeks!

I was able to see The Million Dollar Quarter in Saugatuck, Michigan and it was great.

I took my 78 year old mother and her 11 yr old great grand daughter.

They rave about it til this day.

It's informative, entertaining and funny.

Great! This makes me feel better about bringing my 11 year old.

Seminole1975's post made me a bit nervous about the appropriateness of bringing her but she LOVES shows (she's a Broadway Brat) and I am thinking that she is mature enough to handle it...but I guess we'll see. Hamilton has a lot of adult content and that show was good for her so finger's crossed for this one. As long as we are not talking Book of Mormon type adult content, we'll give it a try :) Can't wait

Seminole1975's post made me a bit nervous about the appropriateness of bringing her but she LOVES shows (she's a Broadway Brat) and I am thinking that she is mature enough to handle it...but I guess we'll see.

Hi! I think an 11 year old is fine. The lady in a previous post was asking about a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I was mainly thinking that they would get bored. I think its great that shows like this are keeping the music alive and introducing it to a new generation. There are just some mild cuss words and some suggestive moves by JLL. Nothing like Rent or Book of Mormon!! haha! If she loves Broadway, I bet she will love this show!

Edited by Seminole1975

Seminole1975's post made me a bit nervous about the appropriateness of bringing her but she LOVES shows (she's a Broadway Brat) and I am thinking that she is mature enough to handle it...but I guess we'll see. Hamilton has a lot of adult content and that show was good for her so finger's crossed for this one. As long as we are not talking Book of Mormon type adult content, we'll give it a try :) Can't wait

Our grandson was 8 and he liked this show better than anything else, including the magic show. He wanted to see it a second time. Just depends on the kid I guess.

[quote name=

Hi! I think an 11 year old is fine. The lady in a previous post was asking about a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I was mainly thinking that they would get bored. I think its great that shows like this are keeping the music alive and introducing it to a new generation. There are just some mild cuss words and some suggestive moves by JLL. Nothing like Rent or Book of Mormon!! haha! If she loves Broadway, I bet she will love this show![/quote]

Our grandson was 8 and he liked this show better than anything else, including the magic show. He wanted to see it a second time. Just depends on the kid I guess.

Sounds great. Thanks all. I am sure we will love it!

Kurt, it was a sincere pleasure to chat with you briefly at lunch today onboard. You and the rest of the cast offered a great entertainment experience.

Thanks, again!!!

Guilty as charged haha! I am a proud Mama!

As you should be!! :)

My husband and I were on the 9/18-9/25 sailing and saw your show. One word: AMAZING. You were all so great and VERY talented! I didn't know anything about the show which is very odd to me because I love Broadway shows and try to catch every one that comes to SF. It was a great evening! Thanks so much! Your mama sounds so proud too :) As she should be!!

Is it possible to see two performances of MDQ on the same cruise or does the theater staff prevent it?

Good question! We were able make reservations for both the Thursday and Friday 7:30 pm show. We made the reservations the day they opened for reservations on line. We were in the Haven and cannot remember if it was 60 or 90 days out from sailing. We cruised Memorial Day weekend.

My DSIL is sailing on October 16 and they booked recently. They are only allowed to make one reservation for one show.

The theater, however is rarely completely full. We went and saw all four shows! We just got there right before or after the shows (the ones we did not have ressies for) started and sat in the back up against the wall. No theater people were around that we could see.

Kurt did say yesterday that the theater is more crowded now than it was some nights in the summer. Probably because most kids are back in school and the passengers are a little bit older.;)?

Perhaps some other people on CC have had different experiences seeing the show twice, although only parents would want to see the show all four times!:o Honestly there was no place on the ship those nights that I would rather have been!

Edited by Seminole1975

It's OK! The shows are Thursday and Friday nights, I think at 7:30 and 10 pm. Four shows total.

I realize a lot goes in to putting on this production, but have always wondered . . . What do the performers do with the balance of the cruise?

I realize a lot goes in to putting on this production, but have always wondered . . . What do the performers do with the balance of the cruise?

Seminole will answer better for her son, but on our cruise, we saw the performers everywhere we went -- eating at specialty restaurants, lounging by the pool during the day, hanging out at Howl at The Moon and elsewhere... When not performing or rehearsing, most seem to act like regular passengers. This was true of performers for all shows on both our last cruises.

Maybe Kurt will chime in at some point, but I can tell you what I know. Thank you for asking. It is all of what Largepizza said above. They are allowed to enjoy most of the amenities, but are instructed not to take away from any of the passengers. Examples include eating early or eating late, working out in the gym early or late, not taking a table by the window etc. (We saw some Burn the Floor dancers in the gym one night after 10 pm-we were just checking out the spa ha ha). They also cannot eat in groups larger than four.

Some of the performers are in two shows. Aaron (Sam Phillips) and Katie (Dyanne) are in Wine Lovers the Musical as well as MDQ for example. Some of the cast are understudies for other shows. Kurt is understudy for Greg (the male vocalist from Burn the Floor) so he has to go to their rehearsals and see the show once a week. (Tough job ha)

The first few months are busy with orientation and Mariners training as well as rehearsals. Now things have settled into somewhat of a routine, especially after Rio. They are looking ahead to what is next and making plans.

Some of the cast have accomplished personal goals and hobbies. Several in the MDQ group have become certified scuba divers in order to take advantage of the beautiful diving opportunities in that part of the world. One of them is an accomplished fisherman and goes deep sea fishing when he can.

My son is a singer-songwriter and is working on his music. He is brushing up on his Spanish. He has his degree in film and is working on his videos for his Youtube channel under the name of Skyway Spirit.

I think that you have to be a person who can structure your time, otherwise you might get bored. All of these actors, as well as being talented, are incredibly accomplished and intelligent. They have a lot going on! They are blessed to have this wonderful job, but IMHO, NCL is lucky to have them too!

Edited by Seminole1975