Cruise Air Toronto to Barcelona timing?

sexyaznboy

Hi guys, I booked a cruise through Oceania and they put us through Philadelphia. We have two hours between the flights. The first flight is American Airlines and the second says British Airways but when I checked the reservation it says British Airways run by American Airlines.

Can someone explain if they are both considered American Airlines? Will I need to pick up my luggage in Philadelphia and go through checkin and security again? Because if so I am worried we won't make the flight to Barcelona...it seems like the terminals are also different.

I'm kinda worried with the TSA delays nowadays..but the cruiseline should have taken this into account?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I booked a cruise through Oceania and they put us through Philadelphia. We have two hours between the flights. The first flight is American Airlines and the second says British Airways but when I checked the reservation it says British Airways run by American Airlines.

Can someone explain if they are both considered American Airlines? Will I need to pick up my luggage in Philadelphia and go through checkin and security again? Because if so I am worried we won't make the flight to Barcelona...it seems like the terminals are also different.

I'm kinda worried with the TSA delays nowadays..but the cruiseline should have taken this into account?

Thanks!

You clear US Customs and Immigration in Toronto before boarding your flight. Luggage should be check to your final destination. CASA (Canadian security will clear you in Toronto) to arrive at a domestic gate in Philly, you should not have to go through security again.

If it is says BA operated by American that means it is actually an American Airlines flight. I was sold by BA under a BA flight number. Either way when you check in Toronto you will be issued boarding passes all the way through.

In Philly all the "terminals" used by American (and BA) are actually piers. I would think of it as the same building.

Edited by em-sk

Thanks so much em-sk! You really put my concerns to rest. I don't want to have to go through security again if I'm not planning on leaving the airport. Pity about the British Airways thing, I hear British Airways is much better airline than American Airlines. No matter, just want to get there safely for the cruise! Thanks again! :)

Are you flying in the same day as the cruise??

I would get to Pearson early as the security lines were very long last month going to the USA

Thanks for the advice, yes we are leaving on the 2nd, Oceania booked it for us. We will be sure to show up 3 hours before boarding. I don't trust the security lines anywhere anymore :(

says British Airways but when I checked the reservation it says British Airways run by American Airlines.

If it is says BA operated by American that means it is actually an American Airlines flight. I was sold by BA under a BA flight number.

OP: What this means is that it's what's called a "code share" flight.... it's one flight, but tickets are sold on that flight by several different airlines within the same airline alliance, and each puts its own flight number on the tickets it sells for the flight. In essence, what happened in your case is that when Choice Air bought the tickets, they bought from the inventory that had been allotted to American's partner, British Airways. Hence your flight number is BA####, operated by AA.

One other note, for future reference: If your travel was starting with this flight (say you had driven in from Toronto), and this is where you were checking in and checking bags, you'd go to the ticket counter of whoever is actually operating the flight, in this case AA. :)

OP: What this means is that it's what's called a "code share" flight.... it's one flight, but tickets are sold on that flight by several different airlines within the same airline alliance, and each puts its own flight number on the tickets it sells for the flight. In essence, what happened in your case is that when Choice Air bought the tickets, they bought from the inventory that had been allotted to American's partner, British Airways. Hence your flight number is BA####, operated by AA.

One other note, for future reference: If your travel was starting with this flight (say you had driven in from Toronto), and this is where you were checking in and checking bags, you'd go to the ticket counter of whoever is actually operating the flight, in this case AA. :)

Thanks waterbug, what is the purpose of selling a flight on behalf of another airline, do they share the profits? And will the airplane have American Airlines on the side of the plane? In which case the flight really has nothing to do with British Airways other than on the ticket! I guess the good news is that I won't have to drag my luggage off the first plane to deliver to the next plane. I was worried about missing my connection.

You could also ask if they could put you on the Nonstop flight from YYZ to BCN on Air Canada Rouge (how bad can it be) ...it may have an upcharge or maybe not

worth asking IMO

I would rather fly non stop when arriving the day of the cruise ..just incase of any problems when connecting

YMMV

You could also ask if they could put you on the Nonstop flight from YYZ to BCN on Air Canada Rouge (how bad can it be) ...it may have an upcharge or maybe not

worth asking IMO

I would rather fly non stop when arriving the day of the cruise ..just incase of any problems when connecting

YMMV

I did buy interruption insurance but I agree with you direct flight would have been better. I was quoted 175 from our TA (charged by Oceania) per person if we were to find another flight so its not worth an extra 350 for the two of us. I'm hoping that things will be ok. I heard nasty things about Rouge, although we are booked back from Lisbon on Rouge. The AA flight has dinner and snack to Barcelona. The Rouge flight back has nothing. It'll probably be when I'm the most hungry, I find after a cruise my stomach capacity has doubled and I'm starving for the next 3 days!:p

I did buy interruption insurance but I agree with you direct flight would have been better. I was quoted 175 from our TA (charged by Oceania) per person if we were to find another flight so its not worth an extra 350 for the two of us. I'm hoping that things will be ok. I heard nasty things about Rouge, although we are booked back from Lisbon on Rouge. The AA flight has dinner and snack to Barcelona. The Rouge flight back has nothing. It'll probably be when I'm the most hungry, I find after a cruise my stomach capacity has doubled and I'm starving for the next 3 days!:p

Did you see for your sailing they have an offer for Premium economy seats for $99 pp each way

might be worth considering the International flight to get the upgrade it may be more comfortable

Lyn

what is the purpose of selling a flight on behalf of another airline, do they share the profits? And will the airplane have American Airlines on the side of the plane?
If the flight is operated by American Airlines, it'll be an American Airlines flight.

The purposes of codeshare arrangements vary from agreement to agreement.

In some cases, it's as simple as the fact that neither airline can afford to operate a 100-seat aircraft on a route, because neither could do so profitably. However, if one of them operates a 200-seat aircraft, they share the costs of operating the aircraft between them, and each is responsible for selling up to 100 seats, then that may make the route potentially profitable for both of them because the costs of operating a 200-seat aircraft are not necessarily twice as much as the costs of operating a 100-seat aircraft.

However, in a simple arrangement like that, whether the route is actually profitable for each of them depends on how many tickets they manage to sell. If one airline only sells 20 of its 100, but the other airline sells 95, then the second airline may be making a profit on the route while the first airline loses money. (Of course, it's never as simple as just counting the number of tickets sold, because that ignores the effect of pricing.)

As it happens, in the case of AA and BA there is a more sophisticated joint business agreement between them and a number of other airlines on trans-Atlantic routes. This means that they share all the costs of operating all the flights on these routes, and share all of the revenue on the routes too. So, in effect, they are all part-owners of a joint business covering these routes and share the profit on all of these routes. For cost, revenue and profit, it therefore matters not whether you buy your ticket from AA or BA as it makes no difference to cost, revenue or profit.

The Air Canada Rouge flight from Lisbon will have a standard Air Canada style economy hot meal and complimentary wine and drinks. It is about the same as the other airlines.

Codeshares are a marketing tool the airlines use where they sell seats on each others flights. Quit common these days.

I have a question since I'll be leaving from Toronto as well.

I'm flying to Rome via JFK on Finnair in September. Now, I've heard that European flights serve alcohol. Is this true? Also, is anyone familiar with this airline? Read a few reviews but interested in hearing some more about how they are.

I have a question since I'll be leaving from Toronto as well.

I'm flying to Rome via JFK on Finnair in September. Now, I've heard that European flights serve alcohol. Is this true? Also, is anyone familiar with this airline? Read a few reviews but interested in hearing some more about how they are.

Air Canada has a (complimentary) open bar in both economy and business class on overseas flights. The quality of the wine and brand of drinks is better in business than economy obviously. The same type of service holds for most European airlines. The US airlines keep changing their rules about what is complementary and what is included, but I think most are now back to including wine and beer in economy.

As for Finnair sorry, they are a well established airline that have been around for a long time. I would expect they are similar, however I never been on them. Certain others on here have.

As it happens, in the case of AA and BA there is a more sophisticated joint business agreement between them and a number of other airlines on trans-Atlantic routes.

While I'm not privy to the details of the agreements that Delta has with KLM/Air France and other Sky Team members, I suspect they're similar to that described for AA/BA. Globaliser gave a pretty good explanation of why airlines generally have code share flights.... it allows airlines to benefit by "sharing" flights so that each doesn't have to operate a flights on more city pairs than is economically feasible.

Now, I've heard that European flights serve alcohol.

US airlines serve alcohol as well. :) But I guess you are really talking about airlines serving alcohol at no extra charge. ;) US airlines do that too.

On Delta transatlantic flights for example, beer and wine have always been complimentary for economy pax, and more recently liquor has been included as well.

Note: If you are considering booking a more expensive ticket on an airline that serves complimentary liquor, consider what it would cost to book the cheaper ticket on the other airline and simply pay as you go for your drinks. You might still come out ahead even though you have to pay for your drinks onboard. Ex. I recently ran into a friend who happened to be on the same CHS-ATL flight as me. He was annoyed because he had paid extra to be seated in Delta's comfort+ because that would mean free drinks on that domestic flight. But, something had gotten messed up and his boarding pass was for a seat in regular economy. He was irked because he had paid more specifically to get free drinks. I forget how much more he said he paid, but let's say it was $50. The flight in question is about 37 min air time. At MOST, one will get 2 drinks if they are lucky and the beverage cart gets to them before service must be discontinued for landing AND they order 2 at the same time, since there will only be one pass of the cart. They are $8 (or $9? I forget) a piece. When I explained that he could have saved his $50 and just paid $16 to buy his drinks a la carte (net savings of $34), he had a light bulb moment. ;)

The Air Canada Rouge flight from Lisbon will have a standard Air Canada style economy hot meal and complimentary wine and drinks. It is about the same as the other airlines.

Complimentary wine and drinks are only available with Premium Rouge. Rouge Plus and Rouge are pay as you go.

Food in Rouge Plus and Rouge is similar to standard air Canada fare.

I'm flying to Rome via JFK on Finnair in September.

Assuming you didn't also meant to put "Via Helsinki" too then you won't be flying Finnair between JFK-FCO. That'll be on AA.