Why is it bad to bring Euros on the cruise?

mal&jason

I've heard in a few different places that it is not wise to bring Euros with on a cruise to Europe. We have three private shore excursions that require payment in Euros (no credit cards) plus we want to have cash for those little out of the way restaurants that don't accept credit cards as well as have tips for people on land (porters, etc.). The shore excursions are not that cheap for the four of us so we were thinking of obtaining a considerable bankroll of Euros and bringing it with us.

However, what is the risk of this method besides of course the risk of being robbed?

Thanks!

Mallory

I've heard in a few different places that it is not wise to bring Euros with on a cruise to Europe. We have three private shore excursions that require payment in Euros (no credit cards) plus we want to have cash for those little out of the way restaurants that don't accept credit cards as well as have tips for people on land (porters, etc.). The shore excursions are not that cheap for the four of us so we were thinking of obtaining a considerable bankroll of Euros and bringing it with us.

However, what is the risk of this method besides of course the risk of being robbed?

Thanks!

Mallory

Who's saying it's unwise?? I always take some Euros with me so when I get off the plane I have local currency if I need it and then within 24 hours I'm at an ATM getting more. :)

Who's saying it's unwise?? I always take some Euros with me so when I get off the plane I have local currency if I need it and then within 24 hours I'm at an ATM getting more. :)

Like to know who's telling that, too? If you're in Europe, it just makes sense to have euros. Also, where are you going that they won't accept credit cards?

I think carrying euros and credite cards will be fine.

If I happen to have Euros handy from a previous vacation, that is what I take with me on a trip to Europe for small, miscellaneous expenses. I rarely get extra Euros in advance if I know I will be in the country/port city in advance of my cruise embarkation. I find a bank with ATM and get the Euros at that point after having arrived. I never use a currency exchange; I allow the bank to give me the best exchange rate on the day I get the money. Maybe this does not work for you if you are not in your port of call more than a day in advance. Consider this as an option if you don't want to travel with the money or don't want to pay excessive bank fees for pre-ordering currency. Just my two cents...

We were in the same boat as you. 4 people with private excursions in each port and having to pay cash. I talked to both of our banks we have relationships with to see what the ATM situation would be. In one case, the US bank had specific banks they were partnered with so there wouldn't be a "foreign" fee. However in each case there was going to be a percentage of the withdrawal fee.

We then had to worry about finding an ATM each day because we needed at least 300 euros for each tour. Then we had to worry about the "limit" because the foreign banks don't necessarily have the same withdrawal limit as our bank at home.

So for all those reasons it made way more sense for us to buy euros before we left. We may not have gotten the best exchange rate but the convenience was great and Wednesday don't have to pay any fees.

I added up how much we needed for all our tours then added 10% for the extras (cabs, tips, tchotchke souvenirs). We ended up spending almost everything we brought with us and there were definitely places we couldn't use credit cards.

Make certain your credit card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and that all your cards are chip cards! We used money belts, neck wallets and purses that had all the security features and extreme vigilance while traveling and kept everything in our safe once on the ship.

If you aren't doing tours or are only paying for 1-2 people, ATMs work fine but in our situation (and yours) pre purchasing euros is the better option.

Thanks!

Mallory

I've never heard of not bringing euros on a cruise in Europe. How crazy. Euros are needed for ports and there might not be an ATM handy before a tour.

We always bring some euros and then get more from an ATM if needed.

Someone has given the OP bad advice.

Of course you should have Euros when in Europe to pay expenses. You might be lucky to find someone who would take Dollars and it would be luck. Europe is not like South America where Dollars are widely accepted.

I've heard in a few different places that it is not wise to bring Euros with on a cruise to Europe.

It is actually unwise not to have Euros when traveling in Europe. Just because the cruise ship is based on US dollars, does not mean that everyone in the Europe will accept or want US dollars. Bring/Get Euros for local expenses and taxis.

I live in the Eurozone and if your coming to a country that is within the Eurozone you will need euros . As for being robbed obviously you need to take the same precautions as you would in any city around the world . Don't take too much cash around, using a credit card and carry it securely

Thanks!

Mallory

You tend to get the best exchange rate by obtaining Euros from an ATM after arrival in the EU, that is the only reason that knowledgeable people suggest not bringing Euros with you.

Many posters want to save the fee to buy euro at home and insist that you can wait until the Europe airport to use the ATM to get euro

Ok they save a fee and save a few dollars in the exchange....but....

They are more than likely just one or 2 traveling together

A family taking private tours requiring cash euro for payment absolutely must have euro on them before leaving the USA

We are a family of 6 and trust me you can't just wing it. I know what my cash expenses will be ahead of time and I have sufficient euro on me from home. Doesn't matter to me what I paid for them because peace of mind is priceless

All you need to happen is to have your card chewed up or hacked at the open to the public airport ATM in Rome and you will be sorry

Of course I have several credit cards with me as well and have prepaid everything I could

A little suggestion....continue your research please

we were also told that the better exchange rate would be had if we waited until we got to Europe.

However, like you, we have several private tours booked that require cash payments. As a result we are taking a decent amount of EUROS with us. It would be a real challenge to find an ATM several times during the trip to make sure we have enough money on hand.

My guess is we'll still need a bit more as we are doing a week long land trip before we board the ship so we plan to top up before boarding.

Yes I may not have gotten the best rate, but I am all set.

We ended up ordering EUROS through AAA

Ashley

Like to know who's telling that, too? If you're in Europe, it just makes sense to have euros. Also, where are you going that they won't accept credit cards?

I think carrying euros and credite cards will be fine.

Credit cards not accepted on Cyprus.:D

Maybe you misunderstood. Someone may have told you that the currency on the ship is USD. It is but you will need euros when you off the ship in Europe.

You can get Euros on the ship for a $10 service charge.

we were also told that the better exchange rate would be had if we waited until we got to Europe.

However, like you, we have several private tours booked that require cash payments. As a result we are taking a decent amount of EUROS with us. It would be a real challenge to find an ATM several times during the trip to make sure we have enough money on hand.

My guess is we'll still need a bit more as we are doing a week long land trip before we board the ship so we plan to top up before boarding.

Yes I may not have gotten the best rate, but I am all set.

We ended up ordering EUROS through AAA

Ashley

Just make sure when you top off before boarding that you do it during banking hours and inside a secure bank

I topped off in Venice where the line for the street side ATM was 20 deep and it "appeared" the ATM was attached to the bank

Wrong ....it was a fake ATM that had skimmers and yes I know to not use streetside ATMs but this one was so cleverly disguised that it was no surprise that everyone there thought it was legitimate. So no apologizes from me on that.

Good thing we still had that night in a Venice hotel with wifi and my iPad

I checked my account that night and you guessed it $600 in withdrawals that I didn't make

I emailed bank ASAP but it was July 4 at home

Next morning was miserable we had to buy a phone card and use the front desk landline to make a 60 minute call to the fraud Dept

Fortunately I was able to transfer out any remaining cash in that travel checking acct that was hacked the night before or my immediate loss would have been much more than $600

Posters like to claim they got an immediate refund from their bank but so what? The bank still freezes your ATM card and account rendering it useless

Plus you are boarding a ship the next day so it will cast a shadow on your trip

It took me 6 weeks with cap 1 to get my money back due to filing fraud claims once home...plus since I had the card in my possession they claimed I could have made the withdrawals myself. It was horrible and I was ready to write the $600 off but eventually got it back

I should have said I lost my card instead.

The posters who dip their cards every 2 days for 100 e at a time well good for them.....

For me and mine.....just like I've done since the 1980's......cash in euro AND greenbacks from home.....and plenty of it.....securely carried.....2 or 3 travel credit cards with high limits for emergencies as travel insurance requires prepayment for most things....ATM card attached to a travel checking acct plus a back up ATM card and account if feesible.....prepayment via credit card of 1 night pre and post cruise hotel then full payment via credit card upon arrival....

Payment of as many tours as possible that will take credit cards

Envelopes marked with each port stop filled with the amount of euro I need for that stop

It could be 100E for spending or it could be 600E for a private cash only tour

We also do some ship tours as I've found they can actually be better and cheaper in some ports

It cost us less for more of a tour in Istanbul with food and admissions included than the private tour would have. Plus try getting into the topkapi museum when it's closed on a Tuesday on your own. You aren't. On a ships tour you are.

Pre purchase from home via credit card any rail tix or timed admissions to venues

You get the idea

Lots of savvy planning

Edited by luvtheships

Maybe the OP will clarify the advice that they read, but I don't think anyone told them that they shouldn't have or use euros while in Europe. The issue is bringing euros from home, and more to the point, bringing large amounts of euros from home. There are certainly reasons not to do that, but if it is your preferred method, fine. Other people prefer to use ATMs after arrival, and while there are also potential risks there, it's also fine.

The only thing that is unwise is relying on one method only and having no back-up plan(s) in case something goes wrong with your preferred method.

Maybe the OP will clarify the advice that they read, but I don't think anyone told them that they shouldn't have or use euros while in Europe. The issue is bringing euros from home, and more to the point, bringing large amounts of euros from home. There are certainly reasons not to do that, but if it is your preferred method, fine. Other people prefer to use ATMs after arrival, and while there are also potential risks there, it's also fine.

The only thing that is unwise is relying on one method only and having no back-up plan(s) in case something goes wrong with your preferred method.

Agreed. I will use an ATM and get what I think I need, and if I need more, use another ATM. I much prefer that to coming home with extra Euro you will not use or have to return to the bank, and lose more money on it.

Be reasonable and not thinking you have to use the Euro cash everywhere. Most places do take credit cards.

Thanks, that's exactly what we were thinking. As far as others posting where I got the sense not to bring them, I thought I saw it on another thread but maybe I was hallucinating. Anyway, can I ask you why they need to be chip cards? Not all of my cards have chips, yet.

Plus, anyone using (and spelling correctly) the word tchotchke must be pretty awesome! :-)

Thanks again, Mallory

We were in the same boat as you. 4 people with private excursions in each port and having to pay cash. I talked to both of our banks we have relationships with to see what the ATM situation would be. In one case, the US bank had specific banks they were partnered with so there wouldn't be a "foreign" fee. However in each case there was going to be a percentage of the withdrawal fee.

We then had to worry about finding an ATM each day because we needed at least 300 euros for each tour. Then we had to worry about the "limit" because the foreign banks don't necessarily have the same withdrawal limit as our bank at home.

So for all those reasons it made way more sense for us to buy euros before we left. We may not have gotten the best exchange rate but the convenience was great and Wednesday don't have to pay any fees.

I added up how much we needed for all our tours then added 10% for the extras (cabs, tips, tchotchke souvenirs). We ended up spending almost everything we brought with us and there were definitely places we couldn't use credit cards.

Make certain your credit card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and that all your cards are chip cards! We used money belts, neck wallets and purses that had all the security features and extreme vigilance while traveling and kept everything in our safe once on the ship.

If you aren't doing tours or are only paying for 1-2 people, ATMs work fine but in our situation (and yours) pre purchasing euros is the better option.

Thanks, that's exactly what we were thinking. As far as others posting where I got the sense not to bring them, I thought I saw it on another thread but maybe I was hallucinating. Anyway, can I ask you why they need to be chip cards? Not all of my cards have chips, yet.

Plus, anyone using (and spelling correctly) the word tchotchke must be pretty awesome! :-)

Thanks again, Mallory

Chip cards are used in Europe. The U.S. is slowly converting to chip, but in Europe, that's what you need at most retailers (anyway that's been my experience). I've had it happen only once that I was unable to use a non-chip card and that was in Southampton, England; fortunately all my credit and debit cards now have chips even though many U.S. retailers aren't prepared to take them yet.

I would guess that what you probably read in another thread was someone saying to not get Euros before you go because you often have to pay a fee (my bank doesn't charge one for customers, but many do) to get foreign currency and may not get a very good exchange rate. Often people advise to wait until you're there and use an ATM.