New to NCL - question about beverages

LConstable

Hi All

We are new to NCL (But not Bermuda) we will be on the July 24th sailing and have the Ultimate Beverage Package - am I to understand that this does not include bottled water? If so, has anyone 'packed' bottled water in their luggage? Is it allowed or do you have to sneak it or is it a complete no go? I see they will sell you an 18 pack for $60 (which is beyond ridiculous) we really only want it for our Bermuda days ???

thoughts

thanks

Laura

Hi All

We are new to NCL (But not Bermuda) we will be on the July 24th sailing and have the Ultimate Beverage Package - am I to understand that this does not include bottled water? If so, has anyone 'packed' bottled water in their luggage? Is it allowed or do you have to sneak it or is it a complete no go? I see they will sell you an 18 pack for $60 (which is beyond ridiculous) we really only want it for our Bermuda days ???

thoughts

thanks

Laura

You are correct, water is not included in the UBP. No need to sneak water, you can bring as much as you like onto the ship.

A search of this forum will show that this question has been asked and answered many times.

No, bottled water is not included with the UBP.

Yes, you can take cases of bottled water on board, either as carry-on or put a label on it and it'll be delivered with your cases.

Yes, the water on the ship is very drinkable, so you can fill your own bottles either in the room or at a beverage station in the buffet.

NCL has no issues with you bringing on a case of water or soda. Most people put it in their luggage but some just put a luggage tag on it.

Its easier to put in in the bags you give the porters than carry it around waiting on your room being ready

As others have said you can bring bottled water on board, but what I find easier to do is bring my Thermos reusable bottle that I use at work or for hiking, and then fill up with water in the room or at drink stations. The water on the ship is perfectly good (much better than the water I get at home!), so I was filling up regularly and then taking it into ports or even just around the ship.

Second the previous poster's comments--please, please be careful and mindful when filling your water bottles at the drink stations!!! I have had to call over ship personnel to clean the dispenser after someone has put their bottles up against the nozzle.

Also, please note that the drink stations have signs stating not fill water bottles....... But people do, which is why I don't drink the water.

As others have said you can bring bottled water on board, but what I find easier to do is bring my Thermos reusable bottle that I use at work or for hiking, and then fill up with water in the room or at drink stations. The water on the ship is perfectly good (much better than the water I get at home!), so I was filling up regularly and then taking it into ports or even just around the ship.

The water you get on the ship is the water you get at home. Many ships bunker water --- they hook up to the municipal water supplies at the port and store the water on board. More economical than running the desalination plants onboard.

The water you get on the ship is the water you get at home. Many ships bunker water --- they hook up to the municipal water supplies at the port and store the water on board. More economical than running the desalination plants onboard.

Yes, I do know this, but the water I get at home is very poor quality, so much so that we are advised not to drink it because it contains toxins over the legal limit. So, I was excited just to drink the ship's tap water! :)

Also, to answer concerns above, I never actually tried to get water at the drink stations, I didn't realize that wasn't allowed. I always used our bathroom sink.

Also, to answer concerns above, I never actually tried to get water at the drink stations, I didn't realize that wasn't allowed. I always used our bathroom sink.

It's allowed; you just have to use a "transfer glass" and not use the dispenser directly into your water bottle. Unless it fits under the spout with an air gap (you can't position the spout in contact with or inside the water bottle opening).

I would do this in the cabin too .... or at least clean the faucet in the head before using it.

Fortunately, the ships are not porting in Flint.

They carry SOME water, but much of the potable water comes through the desalination process. It's not a question of cost as much as it is of space and weight. Imagine having to carry enough water for over 4000 passengers and 1500 crew members for a seven day voyage. They bunker enough to carry them through an emergency mostly. There is a tremendous amount of safe and environmentally sound recycling that goes on aboard cruise ships. The newest ships process a great deal of their waste and store it until they return home, they don't just dump it overboard. It's not perfect yet, but it's getting better. Check out this you tube video: