Beer and Food and Vegemite

Hi all,

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and the websites to look up recipes. Our Australian Cattleman's dinner is this Sunday. We have a case of Cooper's Beer, 4 bottles of Australian white wine and 4 bottles of Australian Red wine. Our menu includes emu meatballs, kangaroo sausages, BBQ steaks and prawns; for side dishes...roasted beets, roasted potatoes, a green vegetable, a pastry sheet lightly coated with Vegemite and more abundantly coated with cheese; for desserts Lamingtons, Vanilla Custard Sheet, and of course ice cream. We couldn't get Macadamia nut ice cream so we are settling for Rum Raisin ice cream. We will have 12 people. We are going to give them a list of words that is in Waltzing Matilda and see can they define. The winner will get a bottle of hot sauce. It should be great fun. We were planning to have the party on our patio but mother nature isn't cooperating so it will be indoors.

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker

Cannot believe that nobody has suggested a Damper with butter and Golden Syrup.

Pumpkin Scones are good too and go well with some billy tea. has to have some ash from the fire.

If you want to go up market cook some Barramundi with a crust of crushed Macadamia Nuts and Lemon Myrtle. Serve with a jacket potato and sour cream with chives.

sounds delicious

This is so cool- love it:)

For an aussie salad could do a green salad with mango otherwise we normallly just have the basics - potato and pasta salads and coleslaw.

Don't forget the real aussie food as previously stated - party pies, fairy bread and cocktail franks with tomato sauce.(all taste like crap imo but everyone has them) and Tim Tams!

Vegemite isn't used much in cooking but I have seen it in savoury scrolls and pullaparts.

How did you manage to get emu? Never even seen it here before.

we found emu, ground kangaroo, and kangaroo sausages at a specialty butcher. There is an Italian meat shop in south Philadelphia that supplies a lot of the restaurants and they have everything.

Get some mates to put on a re enactment of "Man" in your back yard, while reciting the poem...

There was movement at the station

For the word had got around

That the Colt from "Old Regret"

Had got away

And all the cracks had gathered to the fray.

Maybe line by line and get the guests to try and figure out things like

What's a station

What's a crack

And on and on.

love it..when we were in Sydney, we went to the Royal Easter Show and saw the evening performance of "the Man from Snowy River" wonderful.. boy getting ready for my dinner is really bringing on memories about our wonderful trips to Australia.

I have a mate who owns a restaurant, one of his popular dishes is 'Aussie Emblem' - Grilled or pan fried Emu, Crocodile, Kangaroo, all on the one plate. Lubbly Jubbly. I suppose you could purchase that stuff in NY.

Dare I say it? It could be served up for street parties for Don Trump's inauguration. Stand by for incoming, time to leave !! LOL.

LOL, this is one Yank that will be quite upset if Trump gets elected. He is an embarrassment.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and the websites to look up recipes. Our Australian Cattleman's dinner is this Sunday. We have a case of Cooper's Beer, 4 bottles of Australian white wine and 4 bottles of Australian Red wine. Our menu includes emu meatballs, kangaroo sausages, BBQ steaks and prawns; for side dishes...roasted beets, roasted potatoes, a green vegetable, a pastry sheet lightly coated with Vegemite and more abundantly coated with cheese; for desserts Lamingtons, Vanilla Custard Sheet, and of course ice cream. We couldn't get Macadamia nut ice cream so we are settling for Rum Raisin ice cream. We will have 12 people. We are going to give them a list of words that is in Waltzing Matilda and see can they define. The winner will get a bottle of hot sauce. It should be great fun. We were planning to have the party on our patio but mother nature isn't cooperating so it will be indoors.

I hope it's a great night.

Sound like you have our weather.

Yeah I know it's South Aussie, just think it's awful.

But then beer is a bit like food, subjective.

There is no such thing as bad beer, it's just that some beers are better than others. Sometimes quite a lot better.:D

There is no such thing as bad beer, it's just that some beers are better than others. Sometimes quite a lot better.:D

Not sure about that, you must never have tried some home brews.

But then I guess when it gets that bad it's not beer.

Beer is a bit like food (not just what it does to your waist line either) in that it's highly subjective.

Hi all,

Sounds great, I will be over.

Above all, enjoy !! Are you going to sing Waltzing Matilda?