Rough Seas

Toby459

In the Stardust performing a musical, ship being tossed by waves and crashing down with a resounding bang! every time you try to hit a high note.

We had rough seas one evening and we watched the aerialist on the swinging curtain. That to me seemed to be the most difficult thing to do as you could tell they were struggling when they landed. At one point I think they had an issue and cut the show short as all of a sudden the lights went out ending the show.

The treadmill.........

This was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread since my last cruise in February I was runnkng on the treadmill and kept "falling/moving" to the edge since we encountered some swaying back and forth. It was hard for me to look iut the window also while running and made my vertigo come back but I didnt stop lol.

I've been on 3 cruises and only experienced mildly rough seas on 2 out of 21 days. Once at daytime and once at night. I was nearly rolled out of bed at night, which woke me up and I did have a hard time sleeping after that because I started feeling motion sick. Moving around and showering by day were hard, but trying to be still was somehow harder.

• 3 weeks later...
Walking

Yes,

We were on the Star in the North Sea avoiding a cat 2 hurricane. For two days we had very rough seas, including waves of 45 feet or larger.

About 1/4 of the ship, including staff were ill. DW and I were ok. We take ginger tablets.

Walking was such that you had a good grip on the railings.

Cruise questions now asked on TV. This past week, contestants on Family Feud were asked what they found the hardest thing to do when ships encountered rough seas. The first person responding said "sleeping". :eek:

Sleeping was not my first choice. How about you?

I'm actually really good with rough seas, and have been through a few hurricanes (including Sandy) on cruise ships. I'm generally one of the last to fall to seasickness.

With that said, if and when it does hit me, sleep is actually my immediate response, personally.

Yes,

We were on the Star in the North Sea avoiding a cat 2 hurricane. For two days we had very rough seas, including waves of 45 feet or larger.

About 1/4 of the ship, including staff were ill. DW and I were ok. We take ginger tablets.

Walking was such that you had a good grip on the railings.

We too were on this cruise (Hi 4774Papa!). My husband liked walking around and watching everything. I slept through the whole thing (off and on). I don't mind losing a day to sleep on a 14-day cruise; sleeping in a totally dark inside cabin is how I deal with motion sickness.

--Michael

For me, it was doing the TRX suspension class while hung over.

The seas weren't really "bad" that day, just enough to make people make "I haven't had that much to drink yet" jokes.

I went up on the ropes course and walked the plank that day too.

Edited by EleventyBangBang

I was on an art themed cruise in Mexico when a tropical storm blew up suddenly. Sitting in a lower deck conference room trying to paint and decorate a small wood bird. I was slowly turning green and trying so hard to stay and finish the class. I practically crawled back to my cabin and skipped dinner. I still get queasy just looking at that sad, crooked little bird in a glass box.

I would agree with Lulubelle about juggling. We were on the Star crossing from Mimai to Columbia on the way to the Panama Canal and we went to the theatre to see a juggling act with the sea and wind arguing about directions causing a wicked cork-screw action on the front of the ship. We were pretty impressed that the juggler only dropped a couple of clubs in his act. However, when we got up to go back to our cabin we were really impressed with his act because we could hardly stand up at all! We seemed to be saying hello to the walls every few steps all along the corridors.:)