Rough Seas

Toby459

Cruise questions now asked on TV. This past week, contestants on Family Feud were asked what they found the hardest thing to do when ships encountered rough seas. The first person responding said "sleeping". :eek:

Sleeping was not my first choice. How about you?

In 2010 i was on the Norwegian Gem Transatlantic Venice to New York, two days before we arrived we encountered rough seas. A 42 foot wave hit the ship as i was getting off the elevator to go to the Buffet, my poor little body went flying from one end to the other hitting the stand outside la Cucina. My left arm was hurt, other people got hurt too, broken noses, wrists etc. Needless to say i ended up in the medical center getting an arm sling. When we went back to our stateroom everything from the mini bar was on the floor everywhere:eek::eek:.

I would say the hardest thing to do when you encounter rough seas is getting to the buffet :D:D:D

Cruise questions now asked on TV. This past week, contestants on Family Feud were asked what they found the hardest thing to do when ships encountered rough seas. The first person responding said "sleeping". :eek:

My answer would be 'walking'. In rough seas it is a real challenge to walk from place to place on the ship. Many areas have no handrails.

Flip it around...what would the funnest thing to try and do during rough seas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Reaching Zero gravity!

When on the upper decks forward and the ship rises so fast your knees want to buckle then the ship drops out from under you so fast your stretching your toes to try and stay in contact with the deck. :cool:

Walking around is difficult.

Recovering from a hangover.

That is one thing I just can't do if the ship is moving a lot. If I've had a lot to drink the night before then I need some solid ground to recover myself. Rough seas can mean that I just never get myself sorted for the whole day.

I totally agree about the weighlessness thing. I was quite far forward in the Escape when it was moving a lot and when lying in bed it was great when I was falling.

It's also interesting trying to walk across the ship (for example round the aft on the waterfront). You start off walking uphill and then suddenly you are going downhill and have to struggle to stop yourself.

Edited by KeithJenner

Rough seas do affect sleeping. There are always things clanging, banging, or doors sliding. I met a woman in the spa the day after rough seas. She said she could not sleep because she kept thinking the ship was going to capsize. So I can see and understand why some people would say sleeping.

My hubby landed in the lap of one truly gorgeous lady during rough seas. We were on the dance floor and she was seated nearby. I've never been really sure if it was the ocean or the emotion:-) In any case, I still tease him about it (mercilessly I might add!)