Panicking! Help!

PhilsBride

Help, I'm panicking a little!

Passports.

My husband and I both have valid passports, but they expire June 27th. I had no idea about the 6 month validity rule for passports!!

We are traveling to Bermuda via NCL Breakaway and leaving in 1 week!!

So, 1) Can we get in with our birth certificates an driver's license

and

2) does the 6 months validity rule apply to Bermuda?

Or does anyone know who I could talk to about this? I've been googling like crazy and found a few things but I don't know how reliable they are.

Panicking!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Technically, Bermuda only requires that your passport is valid at time of entry (per dept of state state.gov). NCL may have different rules.

Take your passports and use your passports to check in. Fastest and easiest way to check in and already matches your online check in

Have your birth certificates and DL in your bags as backup. (Don't take them out unless asked).

Either way, you're good to go.

Have a great cruise! No panicking,,, your going on vacation!

Edited by BirdTravels

No need to panic. Answer is on NCL.com

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Here is what confused me about their description. It says "you may sail with a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other valid WHTI compliant document."

So, because it says "and" it leads me to believe I needed all 3?

Call NCL. Their personnel are the ones who will or won't let you on the ship.

And if the person you speak with says 'no problem' give them your email address and ask for it in writing

According to the link below, you should be OK with birth certificate and driver's license but suggests also calling cruise line

Technically, Bermuda only requires that your passport is valid at time of entry (per dept of state state.gov). NCL may have different rules.

Take your passports and use your passports to check in. Fastest and easiest way to check in and already matches your online check in

Have your birth certificates and DL in your bags as backup. (Don't take them out unless asked).

Either way, you're good to go.

Have a great cruise! No panicking,,, your going on vacation!

So birth certificate and DL is valid with no passport?

Yes, we did check in already with our passport numbers.

thank you!!

I swear I just had a mini panic attack reading about the 6 month validity rule :p

I called NCL and they told me it would be fine. WHEW.

Thanks for helping calm my nerves y'all!! :)

Edited by PhilsBride

Help, I'm panicking a little!

Passports.

My husband and I both have valid passports, but they expire June 27th. I had no idea about the 6 month validity rule for passports!!

We are traveling to Bermuda via NCL Breakaway and leaving in 1 week!!

So, 1) Can we get in with our birth certificates an driver's license

and

2) does the 6 months validity rule apply to Bermuda?

Or does anyone know who I could talk to about this? I've been googling like crazy and found a few things but I don't know how reliable they are.

Panicking!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bermuda is considered a closed loop cruise when leaving from the US. A passport is not required. In your case your passports are fine for travel as long as you are back in the US before they expire. The six month rule rarely applies to cruise passengers as they are considered in transit and not actually staying in teh country, even if the ship overnights as in Bermuda.

Have a good trip and stop panicking .

Edited by zqvol

For other people in this predicament (I know OP does not need it per other posts), there are passport offices that can process passports in a couple of days. There is one in Denver for sure (I've used it) but I'm sure they are in other big cities as well. The cost is high but worth it in a pinch.

Mallory

Here is what confused me about their description. It says "you may sail with a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other valid WHTI compliant document."

You're misreading it. Look at the commas. They separate the acceptable alternatives. If you write it as a list with each item on the list being what is offset by commas you'll see how it should be interpreted:

You may sail with:

A valid Passport,

Proof of citizenship and a valid government government-issued photo ID,

Or any other valid WHTI-compliant document.

You need any one of the three alternatives, not all three. The "and" is only applicable to the second alternative, because that is the only alternative that requires more than on document.

Bermuda is considered a closed loop cruise when leaving from the US. A passport is not required. In your case your passports are fine for travel as long as you are back in the US before they expire. The six month rule rarely applies to cruise passengers as they are considered in transit and not actually staying in teh country, even if the ship overnights as in Bermuda.

Have a good trip and stop panicking .

Perfect, thank you so much! :) :)

You're misreading it. Look at the commas. They separate the acceptable alternatives. If you write it as a list with each item on the list being what is offset by commas you'll see how it should be interpreted:

You may sail with:

A valid Passport,

You need any one of the three alternatives, not all three. The "and" is only applicable to the second alternative, because that is the only alternative that requires more than on document.

That makes sense. Thank you! I feel much better!

The crisis (I created in my head, apparently ;) ) has been averted! Now on to fun things, like packing! :)

So birth certificate and DL is valid with no passport? Yes, we did check in already with our passport numbers.

Yes, on the close loop (i.e. leave and return to the U.S.) Caribbean cruises, US Citizens can travel using a DL and Birth Certificate.

Since, you have already checked in with your passport numbers, please use that form of identification when you check in at the port.

Yes, just in case, since your passports are so near expiration, carry your birth certificates and DLs as backup documentation for both cruise ship check-in and customs when you disembark. No need to take it out unless you have a problem.

Both would be valid ID for your current trip.

You may sail with:

A valid Passport,

I agree with that interpretation, but I have to say that the way it's written IS ambiguous. The last OR could just easily be taken as an alternative to the DL, with the AND applying to the first 3 items.

They could have clarified it with semi-colons where the commas are.

Just sayin'....

Linda

I have travel twice on NCL with my driver's license and birth certificate, but I also bring my marriage license since I have a different name on the birth certificate than my license. The last time I checked in the agent told me that if I had not brought my marriage license I would not have been allowed to board. Has anyone had problems without the marriage license?

That crazy "and" has tripped up many many people...... glad you received your answers.

Have a super vacation

You may sail with:

A valid Passport,

Correct. This is why punctuation matters. :)

1) Passport

2) Proof of citizenship (e.g., birth certificate) and a valid government-issued photo ID (driver's license)

3) WHTI-compliant document (passport, passport card, Global Entry card, green card, or if you have an enhanced driver's license from Wash. St., Vermont, Michigan, Minnesota, or New York)

I have travel twice on NCL with my driver's license and birth certificate, but I also bring my marriage license since I have a different name on the birth certificate than my license. The last time I checked in the agent told me that if I had not brought my marriage license I would not have been allowed to board. Has anyone had problems without the marriage license?

A marriage license is not required but CBP may ask for it if there is any doubt in their mind, which doesn't happen often. It's better to bring it to be safe but it is not required by the regulations (so I don't understand how the agent could tell you such a thing, I know on CCL the agent asked if we had it and said it doesn't affect your check in if you don't have it).

A marriage license is not required but CBP may ask for it if there is any doubt in their mind, which doesn't happen often. It's better to bring it to be safe but it is not required by the regulations (so I don't understand how the agent could tell you such a thing, I know on CCL the agent asked if we had it and said it doesn't affect your check in if you don't have it).

Don't forget that a cruise line may choose to impose requirements that go beyond those mandated by US CBP regulations. It's common for luxury cruise lines to require all passengers to have passports even if CBP regulations allow use of a birth certificate and drivers license.If a cruise line decides it wants a bridge document when the names on the birth certificate and drivers license don't match it can do so. IIRC, at one time there was a large mass market cruise line...it may have been Royal Caribbean...that did require a bridge document.

I'm not suggesting that NCL actually has such a requirement in place at this time, but keep in mind that the agent who checks you in at the pier today for an NCL cruise may have been working for a different cruise line yesterday as most cruise lines subcontract this work out. Perhaps the agent was thinking of the requirements of the cruise line he or she was working for yesterday when that statement was made.

Edited by njhorseman