Question about 3 in a Promenade room on Navigator

I just booked Navigator for 2018; our child will be 3 years old at the time. . The agent on the phone (booking direct) told me that if we book an interior it will be a drop down bunk; I wasn't entirely comfortable with that option. The agent suggested that if child will be in a crib they WILL book us 3 in the Promenade View room that is normally only for two. I know the rooms also have a small couch but not sure if they fold out to a bed or not.

I opted for the Promenade View room as it is a little bigger and unique; they put a crib on the request, and at least there is no drop down bunk and I know there is a small sofa "just in case"

Can anyone comment on a 3 year old in a crib? Or on the sofa? Or even a drop down in a regular interior for that matter?

I am a little concerned what happens if we get onboard and a crib is way inadequate? :confused:

Does Navigator not have ANY fold out sofa beds in interiors or promenades?

I saw no sofa beds in insides or PR staterooms. I believe you have to go to a balcony stateroom to get a sofa bed. I did see that there are a couple of OV staterooms all the way forward that have a sofa bed.

Thanks Bob. Surprised no Sofa Beds on interiors. Do you think that is an upsell tactic?

I don't have a frame of reference if a 3 year old will fit in Royal's cribs; do they use standard Pack N Plays? Might be a bit like The Hulk busting out of his shirt? I'd imagine the loveseat is adequate for a 3 year old child. I'm definitely not comfortable with the idea of a pullman berth for a 3 year old; I can live if he jumps out of a Pack N Play, but scared of falling out of a berth.

Does Royal provide bed rails at request and/or does anyone know if a portable travel style bedrail can be placed under the cushions on the loveseat soda or are the cushions permanently attached?

Edited by LMaxwell

I don't see it as an upswell tactic - a sofabed just won't fit. They use standard packs plays. I don't see an average size 3 year old fitting. They recommend a child be 6 to sleep in a Pullman although that's a personal consideration. I know people have put the mattress on the floor at night and put it back up during the day. That could be a consideration or let one of the adults sleep in the Pullman.

they are not cribs. they are pack n plays. the window seat in a Promenade view cannot be converted to a bed. it may or may not be sufficient for a toddler to sleep on anyway. I don't remember of the ones I saw had the chair, or if said chairs convert, but that could be an option.

I would not think a 3 yo would fit in a PnP and would probably break it. and they do not allow anyone under 6 to use a pullman, even if rails are provided

I'm pretty dead set against a pullman under any circumstance, though the idea to put the mattress on the floor is decent enough; I had not thought of that. That could work. The pullmans are only in the regular interiors though, not the PR rooms. Maybe they could supply one if needed.

Wondering if the cushions on the loveseat are attached or separate from the frame of the furniture; if separate I can bring folding toddler rails and make that work; or push the P&P against the loveseat as a de facto rail.

I found photos on the Disney board of a 3.5 year old sleeping in a P&P, seemed to be alright. Hard to tell though, it is 2 years away and I have nothing to gauge on.

Appreciate the comments and ideas.

That pic is perfect. Had a promenade room on Liberty recently so it would be the same. The sofa/window seat aren't huge but should be enough for a 3 year old! The couch is at least 4 ft wide. The couch on Liberty was also free so it could be pulled out and spun lengthwise along the window to make a big square bed essentially. would have "bumpers" on all 4 sides.

Edited by atnolan94

I don't see it as an upswell tactic - a sofabed just won't fit. ...

I agree with this, I think is simply a matter of space. The forward OV staterooms are shaped differently, so some of those can take a sofabed.

That pic is perfect. Had a promenade room on Liberty recently so it would be the same. The sofa/window seat aren't huge but should be enough for a 3 year old! The couch is at least 4 ft wide. The couch on Liberty was also free so it could be pulled out and spun lengthwise along the window to make a big square bed essentially. would have "bumpers" on all 4 sides.

That would work out perfectly.

I'm feeling much better about this. Voyager-class has been around 15+ years; I can't be the first person to have a cookie cruncher in one of those rooms.

I think that picture says it all. I think the three year old could sleep on that sofa very comfortably, and you could put the desk chair next to it as a safety rail. You could put pillows and/or blankets on the floor next to it also. You made the right decision with this room.

Thanks Bob. Surprised no Sofa Beds on interiors. Do you think that is an upsell tactic?

I don't have a frame of reference if a 3 year old will fit in Royal's cribs; do they use standard Pack N Plays? Might be a bit like The Hulk busting out of his shirt? I'd imagine the loveseat is adequate for a 3 year old child. I'm definitely not comfortable with the idea of a pullman berth for a 3 year old; I can live if he jumps out of a Pack N Play, but scared of falling out of a berth.

Does Royal provide bed rails at request and/or does anyone know if a portable travel style bedrail can be placed under the cushions on the loveseat soda or are the cushions permanently attached?

I am surprised (shocked?) that they would let you book a Promenade room as a triple, with the 3rd being a 3 year old.

It's just not allowed!

Very bizarre.

If I were you, I would investigate this now, lest you find a major problem when you reach the pier on embarkation day. :eek:

I am surprised (shocked?) that they would let you book a Promenade room as a triple, with the 3rd being a 3 year old.

It's just not allowed!

Very bizarre.

If I were you, I would investigate this now, lest you find a major problem when you reach the pier on embarkation day. :eek:

When I was on the website doing mock bookings PR didn't even show. When I called in to do the booking they tried to up sell me a panoramic OV but the price was too much. Then the agent offered me the PR. I said I can't see it on the website. She told me it won't show for 3 but they book it as 3 if a kid has a crib. She pushed the selection as it was almost same price as an interior but more unique so I said great let's do it. It was only a few bucks over the interior quote.

My daughter slept on the window couch as a 6 year old, and enjoyed it. However, I too am surprised they will allow you to book 3 in a PR.

Was it just the two of you booked in the room or was your daughter the 3rd?

When I was on the website doing mock bookings PR didn't even show. When I called in to do the booking they tried to up sell me a panoramic OV but the price was too much. Then the agent offered me the PR. I said I can't see it on the website. She told me it won't show for 3 but they book it as 3 if a kid has a crib. She pushed the selection as it was almost same price as an interior but more unique so I said great let's do it. It was only a few bucks over the interior quote.

Are you going to have your child sleep in the pack-n-play? is that going to work for her/her?

This is what I am cautioning you against. I would rather straighten this out NOW instead of running into very big problems on embarkation day.

Are you going to have your child sleep in the pack-n-play? is that going to work for her/her?

This is what I am cautioning you against. I would rather straighten this out NOW instead of running into very big problems on embarkation day.

Plan A is to use the Pack N Play as intended and just use the couch as a Plan B. I'd rather the Pack N Play because there is nothing to roll out of / off of.

I'll call Royal back on it; you know how they give you different answers when you speak to different people.

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with an RC Agent and Resolutions Manager.

- They fully admit that Royal suggested and sold me the room

- The resolutions manager assured me not to worry, the room is ours

-The resolutions manager said if we get there and our child is too big for the crib to use the couch. (I admit I was surprised they suggested this).

-Resolutions said they would not deny boarding or take away / downgrade the room.

I told them that if in any way they thought it would be a problem when we go to board please let me know now so I can cancel and they, in plain english, said there was no reason to cancel the booking due to 3 in the room.

I did ask Resolutions what is the next category with a fold out sofa that can hold 3, was told it is Cat F. I asked to be upgraded at no additional expense to Cat F since Royal selected and sold me the cat PR and resolutions said no.

I have names of each person I spoke to and they said this was noted on my account and again assured me at the end of the call there was no problem and nothing to be concerned about.

That's all the news that is fit to print.

Interesting to hear that they sold you a PR room with a 3 year old. We have just booked one for 3 but our son will be 14 months. They said under 2 was OK for a crib but not over. The window seat looks OK but if the child rolls or the ship rolls then they could end up in the floor. I hope it all works out for you.

Interesting to hear that they sold you a PR room with a 3 year old. We have just booked one for 3 but our son will be 14 months. They said under 2 was OK for a crib but not over. The window seat looks OK but if the child rolls or the ship rolls then they could end up in the floor. I hope it all works out for you.

When I called the other day for a price drop I again questioned it and was told no problem, nothing to worry about. I have the names of each person I spoke with.

I'm going to call back and ask if they will put it in writing. When questioning the crib they never mentioned an age limit at all.

How can it be I've spoke to 4 people at Royal so far who have said it is fine to have this room and yet still have no confidence in them?

When I called the other day for a price drop I again questioned it and was told no problem, nothing to worry about. I have the names of each person I spoke with.

I'm going to call back and ask if they will put it in writing. When questioning the crib they never mentioned an age limit at all.

How can it be I've spoke to 4 people at Royal so far who have said it is fine to have this room and yet still have no confidence in them?

Because it's Royal Caribbean. :rolleyes:

I wish you well. Still shaking my head.

It is excellent planning that you took down the names of everyone to whom you spoke.

:)

Because it's Royal Caribbean. :rolleyes:

I wish you well. Still shaking my head.

It is excellent planning that you took down the names of everyone to whom you spoke.

:)

Okay Merion Mom, Thank you for your insistence that I sort this out, and even though I thought I had sorted it and had all the names, I called back and asked for something in writing to confirm my conversations. I was told the official policy and ways around it. I was not comfortable with the ways around it because it COULD result in denied boarding. They would not put anything in writing that was not official policy.

Here were my options.

1. Downgrade to an interior and save $18. Yes. $18. Eighteen. They would give me $150 OBC as well ($50 per person) because they did admit it was Royal vacation planners who gave me bad information. This was not a real solution since it only has a drop down bunk which is unsafe for a 3 year old.

2. I was twice in previous calls offered a family oceanview, I asked if I could be upgraded to a fam OV at no charge. I was told THAT was incorrect information as well, requires 5 to book and we could not have that room at any price. In fact, I was told NO OV's would work and we would be in the same situation as the interior with the drop down.

3. Final alternative was a balcony at prevailing rate + diamond discount + 150 OBC. It would have been $870 additional out of pocket but I would have $150 OBC. After some more back and forth they removed the OBC and charged me $400 total for the balcony upgrade room. I feel that is better than having the OBC.

While I did not want to spend more initially I felt like Royal admitted their mistakes and made a good faith effort to meet me on pricing and finding a solution.

A. We have a room that there is no worry over whether it has safe sleeping arrangements.

B. Royal kept me from canceling altogether (honestly, probably would NOT have rebooked my 2018 cruise on Royal and just gone back to MSC, better pricing and perks).

C. Having a balcony will be nice

So....thanks MM, the Revenue Dept at Royal owes you some gifts at my expense!

Okay Merion Mom, Thank you for your insistence that I sort this out, and even though I thought I had sorted it and had all the names, I called back and asked for something in writing to confirm my conversations. I was told the official policy and ways around it. I was not comfortable with the ways around it because it COULD result in denied boarding. They would not put anything in writing that was not official policy.

Here were my options.

1. Downgrade to an interior and save $18. Yes. $18. Eighteen. They would give me $150 OBC as well ($50 per person) because they did admit it was Royal vacation planners who gave me bad information. This was not a real solution since it only has a drop down bunk which is unsafe for a 3 year old.

2. I was twice in previous calls offered a family oceanview, I asked if I could be upgraded to a fam OV at no charge. I was told THAT was incorrect information as well, requires 5 to book and we could not have that room at any price. In fact, I was told NO OV's would work and we would be in the same situation as the interior with the drop down.

3. Final alternative was a balcony at prevailing rate + diamond discount + 150 OBC. It would have been $870 additional out of pocket but I would have $150 OBC. After some more back and forth they removed the OBC and charged me $400 total for the balcony upgrade room. I feel that is better than having the OBC.

While I did not want to spend more initially I felt like Royal admitted their mistakes and made a good faith effort to meet me on pricing and finding a solution.

A. We have a room that there is no worry over whether it has safe sleeping arrangements.

B. Royal kept me from canceling altogether (honestly, probably would NOT have rebooked my 2018 cruise on Royal and just gone back to MSC, better pricing and perks).

C. Having a balcony will be nice

So....thanks MM, the Revenue Dept at Royal owes you some gifts at my expense!

Phew! I am exhausted just reading that!

I am glad that it has been resolved to your satisfaction. What a WCCF! :eek: